VMS mail viruses and Pathworks shares - DEC

This is a discussion on VMS mail viruses and Pathworks shares - DEC ; Hello I use my VMS mail account to receive all my e-mail. After reading them I extract them to a shared folder using Pathworks. I am wondering what will happen if one of the e-mails contains a virus? I know ...

  1. VMS mail viruses and Pathworks shares

    Hello
    I use my VMS mail account to receive all my e-mail. After reading them
    I extract them to a shared folder using Pathworks. I am wondering what
    will happen if one of the e-mails contains a virus?
    I know that theres no known viruses for VMS, but since the folder
    is attached to the WIN2K box could the virus still be active??
    The VMS account is on a VAX 3100-85 using TCP/IP V5.3. Is is safe to
    assume that since the VAX doesnot support JAVA/HTML then I am safe from
    any JAVA scripts that may contain virus or something??
    Thanks
    phillip

  2. Re: VMS mail viruses and Pathworks shares

    In article <1113702134.883639.275470@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups. com>, tomarsin2015@comcast.net writes:
    >Hello
    >I use my VMS mail account to receive all my e-mail. After reading them
    >I extract them to a shared folder using Pathworks. I am wondering what
    >will happen if one of the e-mails contains a virus?
    >I know that theres no known viruses for VMS, but since the folder
    >is attached to the WIN2K box could the virus still be active??
    >The VMS account is on a VAX 3100-85 using TCP/IP V5.3. Is is safe to
    >assume that since the VAX doesnot support JAVA/HTML then I am safe from
    >any JAVA scripts that may contain virus or something??

    You're safe if you're reading your mail using the VMS mail client. If you're
    reading your mail using Eudora or Outlook Express or something on the Windows
    box, then you're vulnerable Just because VMS itself isn't vulnerable doesn't
    mean that the viruses are scrubbed; it'll faithfully pass on the bits that
    came in the mail.

    -- Alan

+ Reply to Thread