trouble with a printer!!?? - DEC

This is a discussion on trouble with a printer!!?? - DEC ; We are running a dec alphastation with VMS DECwindows Motif Version 1.1. Our printer (Digital DEClaser 1152) decided to crap itself and we are trying to setup a new printer in its place - a HP Laserjet 2200d. Our problem ...

  1. trouble with a printer!!??

    We are running a dec alphastation with VMS DECwindows Motif Version
    1.1. Our printer (Digital DEClaser 1152) decided to crap itself and we
    are trying to setup a new printer in its place - a HP Laserjet 2200d.
    Our problem is that we do not know how to configure the parallel port
    where the new printer was attached - the old one was attached to a
    rs-232 lan type port - we need to swap the output ports but don't know
    how. Can anyone help out please??

    In addition, we are running a mass spec on this alphastation with Opus
    V3.3 X software.

    Any pointers would be appreciated.

    Thanks a mil

  2. Re: trouble with a printer!!??

    "rs-232 lan type port"??? Category 5 Ethernet??? Or something else.

    You'll need an IBM-compatible computer to run the HP configuration utility to
    configure any JetDirect card used to make the 2200d visible on an Ethernet
    network.

    To set up the 2200D attached to the parallel port of a computer, you need not do
    anything. Just plug and go. Whoops! Wait a minute. The DEClaser 1152 was
    used as a PostScript printer or as an HP PCL printer. If the latter, you can
    use exactly the same drivers on any computer that prints to it, albeit with
    lower resolution than supported by the printer. If the former, make sure that
    the 2200d has a PostScript personality DIMM plugged in. Then get the PPD text
    file from (probably) Adobe, import the PPD into the systems which print, and
    replace the 1152 PPD with the 2200D PPD... Ben Myers

    On 14 Apr 2005 23:46:26 -0700, "kieran.pierce@gmail.com"
    wrote:

    >We are running a dec alphastation with VMS DECwindows Motif Version
    >1.1. Our printer (Digital DEClaser 1152) decided to crap itself and we
    >are trying to setup a new printer in its place - a HP Laserjet 2200d.
    >Our problem is that we do not know how to configure the parallel port
    >where the new printer was attached - the old one was attached to a
    >rs-232 lan type port - we need to swap the output ports but don't know
    >how. Can anyone help out please??
    >
    >In addition, we are running a mass spec on this alphastation with Opus
    >V3.3 X software.
    >
    >Any pointers would be appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks a mil

  3. Re: trouble with a printer!!??

    Kieran:

    I can help.
    You can contact me directly at: tomc@*ihatespam*mscomponents.com
    remove the obvious SPAM-bot blocker.

    OPUS will work with HP printers, I do it all the time. I've not tried
    one of the new generation HP's, but as long as it will do a PCL5
    emulation (which all HP's do, AFAIK) you shouldn't have too much trouble
    getting it to work.

    Providing that your system has a parallel port (and some early Alphas
    DID NOT), the way to set it up is:

    @sys$manager:set_startup_vg

    Accept all defaults until you get to the section where you're asked
    about printer configuration. When you get to this prompt:

    Is this printer information correct [Y/N def=Y] > N
    (enter N)
    It will display your current printer configuration and ask:

    Is this your printer configuration [Y/N] > N
    How many printers does this system have [0..4 def=0] > 1
    (enter 1)

    It will display information of what printers are supported
    Then it will ask:

    Enter Printer type (or ? for printer list) [def=ScriptPrinter] > PCL5

    Enter printer port name (or ? for list) [def=CAS0] > ?

    It will display a list of mnemonics for all the ports available for your
    specific system (they're different for each different Alpha system).
    Enter the correct one for the parallel port on your system.

    Select the defaults for queues, it will then display the information and
    prompt you:

    Is this printer information correct [Y/N def=Y] > Y

    It will then ask:

    Are remote print queues available [Y/N def=N] > N

    Then it will go off and shut down the old queues and start up the new
    ones. Shutdown and then reboot the system.

    Log into OPUS, click on the File tab, select Printer Setup. Under
    printer setup select Hardcopy, in the Destination box select the
    PCL5 SYS$PCL5 queue, then click OK. Do the same for List printing
    options. Then select Parameters and save as the Default.

    OPUSQUAN will require setting up as well, but this message is long
    enough as is, and you might not use the QUAN software anyway.

    What kind of VG/Micromass magnetic sector mass spec are you using, and
    where are you located?

    TomC
    http://www.mscomponents.com

    Send me a pic of your mass spec for my "Big Iron Library".

    kieran.pierce@gmail.com wrote:
    > We are running a dec alphastation with VMS DECwindows Motif Version
    > 1.1. Our printer (Digital DEClaser 1152) decided to crap itself and we
    > are trying to setup a new printer in its place - a HP Laserjet 2200d.
    > Our problem is that we do not know how to configure the parallel port
    > where the new printer was attached - the old one was attached to a
    > rs-232 lan type port - we need to swap the output ports but don't know
    > how. Can anyone help out please??
    >
    > In addition, we are running a mass spec on this alphastation with Opus
    > V3.3 X software.
    >
    > Any pointers would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks a mil

+ Reply to Thread