Re: indicator lights on SBB disks - DEC

This is a discussion on Re: indicator lights on SBB disks - DEC ; On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 20:23:10 +0000 (UTC), Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply wrote: > On the Storage Works building-block (SBB) disks (e.g. for use in the > BA35x shelves), there are usually (always?) two indicator lights at the > ...

  1. Re: indicator lights on SBB disks

    to reply wrote:

    > On the Storage Works building-block (SBB) disks (e.g. for use in the
    > BA35x shelves), there are usually (always?) two indicator lights at the
    > front. However, what they mean seems to vary with the disk model. Some
    > have one light on all the time, some only during activity.

    I had 4GB drives in the BA356 cannisters, took them out and replced with
    74GB Seagate drives, works like a charm. of course, I only get 40MB not
    the 160 the drives are capable of.

  2. Re: indicator lights on SBB disks

    Tom Linden wrote:
    > On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 20:23:10 +0000 (UTC), Phillip Helbig---remove
    > CLOTHES to reply wrote:
    >
    >> On the Storage Works building-block (SBB) disks (e.g. for use in the
    >> BA35x shelves), there are usually (always?) two indicator lights at the
    >> front. However, what they mean seems to vary with the disk model. Some
    >> have one light on all the time, some only during activity.

    > I had 4GB drives in the BA356 cannisters, took them out and replced with
    > 74GB Seagate drives, works like a charm. of course, I only get 40MB not
    > the 160 the drives are capable of.

    Huh?

    Want to try that again, doesn't make sense.

    Why wouldn't you be able to use the full size of the drive? At least
    with recent versions of VMS? I can understand the CONSOLE of an older
    system not working with newer drives, but VMS usually will.

  3. Re: indicator lights on SBB disks

    On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 01:29:08 -0400, Dave Froble wrote:

    >Tom Linden wrote:
    >> On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 20:23:10 +0000 (UTC), Phillip Helbig---remove
    >> CLOTHES to reply wrote:
    >>
    >>> On the Storage Works building-block (SBB) disks (e.g. for use in the
    >>> BA35x shelves), there are usually (always?) two indicator lights at the
    >>> front. However, what they mean seems to vary with the disk model. Some
    >>> have one light on all the time, some only during activity.

    >> I had 4GB drives in the BA356 cannisters, took them out and replced with
    >> 74GB Seagate drives, works like a charm. of course, I only get 40MB not
    >> the 160 the drives are capable of.

    >Huh?
    >
    >Want to try that again, doesn't make sense.

    Transfer rates, I think. 40Mb/sec instead of 160Mb/sec.

    --
    I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.

    Mail john rather than nospam...

  4. Re: indicator lights on SBB disks

    On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 09:20:28 +0100, John Laird
    wrote:

    > On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 01:29:08 -0400, Dave Froble
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Tom Linden wrote:

    >>> I had 4GB drives in the BA356 cannisters, took them out and replced
    >>> with
    >>> 74GB Seagate drives, works like a charm. of course, I only get 40MB
    >>> not
    >>> the 160 the drives are capable of.

    >> Huh?
    >>
    >> Want to try that again, doesn't make sense.

    > Transfer rates, I think. 40Mb/sec instead of 160Mb/sec.

    Yes, sorry. Also I don't know how I manged to post it twice. Sorry
    about that too.

  5. Re: indicator lights on SBB disks

    In article <1151jifgutuu449@corp.supernews.com>,
    Dave Froble wrote:
    >Tom Linden wrote:
    >> On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 20:23:10 +0000 (UTC), Phillip Helbig---remove
    >> CLOTHES to reply wrote:
    >>
    >>> On the Storage Works building-block (SBB) disks (e.g. for use in the
    >>> BA35x shelves), there are usually (always?) two indicator lights at the
    >>> front. However, what they mean seems to vary with the disk model. Some
    >>> have one light on all the time, some only during activity.

    >> I had 4GB drives in the BA356 cannisters, took them out and replced with
    >> 74GB Seagate drives, works like a charm. of course, I only get 40MB not
    >> the 160 the drives are capable of.

    >Huh?
    >
    >Want to try that again, doesn't make sense.
    >
    >Why wouldn't you be able to use the full size of the drive? At least
    >with recent versions of VMS? I can understand the CONSOLE of an older
    >system not working with newer drives, but VMS usually will.

    Sure it makes sense. But you have to read between the lines. The 40 and
    160 are referring to the SCSI data transfer rate, not the storage size.
    The SCSI bus bandwidth of the controller/backplane is 40Mbits/sec, while
    the drives would be capable of 160Mbit/sec if connected to a more modern
    (Low-voltage differential) controller. Of course, no existing SCSI disk
    has a continuous data transfer rate from disk to head that is as fast as
    its bus interface can achieve.

    carl
    --
    carl lowenstein marine physical lab u.c. san diego
    clowenst@ucsd.edu

+ Reply to Thread