Need help w/ DPW 433au - DEC

This is a discussion on Need help w/ DPW 433au - DEC ; I've acquired a Digital Personal Workstation 433au. I do not have a DEC keyboard, mouse, or tube. With a PC keyboard, mouse, and tube it just won't do much. If I'm fast, I can see the video board boot info. ...

  1. Need help w/ DPW 433au

    I've acquired a Digital Personal Workstation 433au. I do not have a DEC
    keyboard, mouse, or tube.

    With a PC keyboard, mouse, and tube it just won't do much. If I'm fast,
    I can see the video board boot info.

    It doesn't make any unusual sounds like grinding disks, just the usual
    and proper humming.

    It seems complete but I wouldn't be surprised if the former owner
    cleared the HDs before donating it.

    What are the alternatives to get this box basically running so I can
    determine if it justifies the effort to put OpenVMS on it?

    Thanks for any suggestions.

  2. Re: Need help w/ DPW 433au

    On Sun, 3 Apr 2005, scott wrote:
    > I've acquired a Digital Personal Workstation 433au. I do not have a DEC
    > keyboard, mouse, or tube.
    >
    > With a PC keyboard, mouse, and tube it just won't do much. If I'm fast, I
    > can see the video board boot info.

    The DPWS 433au uses a normal PS/2 keyboard and mouse, and VGA. Nothing
    special there.

    > It doesn't make any unusual sounds like grinding disks, just the usual and
    > proper humming.

    Does it output anything on the serial port?

    > It seems complete but I wouldn't be surprised if the former owner cleared the
    > HDs before donating it.

    Even if he did, you should still get to an SRM prompt...

    Ivan

  3. Re: Need help w/ DPW 433au

    scott wrote:

    > I've acquired a Digital Personal Workstation 433au. I do not have a DEC
    > keyboard, mouse, or tube.
    >
    > With a PC keyboard, mouse, and tube it just won't do much. If I'm fast,
    > I can see the video board boot info.
    >
    > It doesn't make any unusual sounds like grinding disks, just the usual
    > and proper humming.
    >
    > It seems complete but I wouldn't be surprised if the former owner
    > cleared the HDs before donating it.
    >
    > What are the alternatives to get this box basically running so I can
    > determine if it justifies the effort to put OpenVMS on it?
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions.

    It's probably in serial terminal mode. Hook a terminal up to com port
    one and once you're in, set console = graphics, power cycle and SRM
    should show up on monitor.

  4. Re: Need help w/ DPW 433au

    Thanks to you and Ivan.

    The 433au boots and puts out an OpenVMS login prompt on both serial ports.

    I got a dumber tube: no energy saving so it displays whatever the
    machine presents without having to warm up. Actually, it didn't display
    much useful since the console must be assigned somewhere else as you
    suggested.

    But my faithful old HP95 made a fine terminal to read the serial ports.

    Now the fun: I've got to get the CDs and figure out how to install
    OpenVMS (since I'm not a hacker and have no idea what a legit account is
    on this machine).

    Scott

    Crabs wrote:

    > It's probably in serial terminal mode. Hook a terminal up to com port
    > one and once you're in, set console = graphics, power cycle and SRM
    > should show up on monitor.

  5. Re: Need help w/ DPW 433au

    scott wrote:
    > Thanks to you and Ivan.
    >
    > The 433au boots and puts out an OpenVMS login prompt on both serial ports.
    >
    > I got a dumber tube: no energy saving so it displays whatever the
    > machine presents without having to warm up. Actually, it didn't display
    > much useful since the console must be assigned somewhere else as you
    > suggested.
    >
    > But my faithful old HP95 made a fine terminal to read the serial ports.
    >
    > Now the fun: I've got to get the CDs and figure out how to install
    > OpenVMS (since I'm not a hacker and have no idea what a legit account is
    > on this machine).

    Scott:

    Here's a good primer on OpenVMS:
    http://www.geocities.com/SiliconVall...nners_faq.html

    And when you've read this and understood some of it, here's the
    definitive OpenVMS FAQ:
    http://eisner.decus.org/vms/vmsfaq.html
    See section 5.6.1 of the OpenVMS FAQ, "I've forgotten the SYSTEM
    password, what can I do?"

    You will also want to subscribe to the following newsgroup:
    comp.os.vms, there's LOTS of good information in there, as well as some
    very esoteric "you'll never use it in a million gazillion years" stuff.

    TomC

+ Reply to Thread