cipca fails to initialise - DEC

This is a discussion on cipca fails to initialise - DEC ; Can someone help me? I have a second hand cipca-aa that I have tested in an alphaserver4100 machine. The boot screen shows the cipca correctly, on bus 0, slot 5. When I do a show config, I get a good ...

  1. cipca fails to initialise

    Can someone help me?
    I have a second hand cipca-aa that I have tested in an alphaserver4100
    machine.
    The boot screen shows the cipca correctly, on bus 0, slot 5.
    When I do a show config, I get a good reply.
    When I do a show dev cipca0, I get a lengthy reply that basically states
    that the cipca has failed to initialise.
    When I watch the diagnostic LEDS they come on all lit up (and stay lit up)
    which means that the module has reset.
    A known good cipca only indictaes reset for a brief moment, before the
    diagnosic code for firmware transfer is displayed and then the card goes
    into run mode.
    I am loath to swap modules around between the known good set and the faulty
    set, because the documentation states that the sets are not interchangable
    between different revisions; and I have different revisions.
    I can supply revision information if that is of use.
    Thanks.

  2. Re: cipca fails to initialise

    A further development has been that if a move the port processor card (pci
    card) in its slot, the firmware transfer occurs and the card goes into run
    mode.
    I have tried another pci slot, and the problem persists.
    I have cleaned the pci edge connection and the problem persists.
    I have thoroughly scutinised the board for a broken track or dry joint, but
    no luck.
    Any thoughts on how to proceed from here?
    Thanks.

  3. Re: cipca fails to initialise

    Following on from the previous postings, I discovered that the large ASIC
    marked U49? (very large socketed PLCC), had unsoldered pads under the socket
    frame.
    By carefully unsoldering the socket, cleaning up the solder pads, and
    modifying the socket to allow better soldering iron acces, I could resolder
    the socket.
    Now I get SRAM memory errors on start up. If I gently flex the port module,
    and reset the system, I get a firmware transfer and run mode.
    I am happy that all of the soldering is neat and tidy, but I have obviously
    missed something very small.
    As much as I am enjoying this fault finding and repair process, I must be
    getting very close to the "buy another cipca" conclusion...........
    Is poor soldering a known problem on port modules, or has this module had
    major bending previously that has caused the connections to break do you
    think??
    Thanks.

  4. Re: cipca fails to initialise

    alphadoc wrote:

    > Is poor soldering a known problem on port modules, or has this module had
    > major bending previously that has caused the connections to break do you
    > think??

    I think the latter. We don't have a lot of them here, but the ones we do
    have have been rock solid.

    --

    Stu

  5. Re: cipca fails to initialise

    I am glad to hear that. Tracking down a replacement is not so easy. They
    come and go on ebay, but local and affordable is the problem.
    Thanks.
    "Stuart Fuller" wrote in message
    newsco6i2-kvu.ln1@dadsys2.fuller.com...
    > alphadoc wrote:
    >
    > > Is poor soldering a known problem on port modules, or has this module

    had
    > > major bending previously that has caused the connections to break do you
    > > think??

    > I think the latter. We don't have a lot of them here, but the ones we do
    > have have been rock solid.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Stu

  6. Re: cipca fails to initialise

    We have one in stock working here
    Call me tomorrow if interested

    DT

    --

    David B Turner
    Island Computers US Corp

    "alphadoc" wrote in message
    news:425123a3$0$29866$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.a u...
    > I am glad to hear that. Tracking down a replacement is not so easy. They
    > come and go on ebay, but local and affordable is the problem.
    > Thanks.
    > "Stuart Fuller" wrote in message
    > newsco6i2-kvu.ln1@dadsys2.fuller.com...
    > > alphadoc wrote:
    > >
    > > > Is poor soldering a known problem on port modules, or has this module

    > had
    > > > major bending previously that has caused the connections to break do

    you
    > > > think??

    > > I think the latter. We don't have a lot of them here, but the ones we

    do
    > > have have been rock solid.
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Stu