Digital Miata 500a - DEC

This is a discussion on Digital Miata 500a - DEC ; Hi, i got a miata 500a with problem. I never used such box and i don't really know the exact running, but when i switch on, i got blue screen with CPU and stuff about memory statement maybe 'Machine check', ...

  1. Digital Miata 500a

    Hi,

    i got a miata 500a with problem. I never used such box and i don't
    really know the exact running, but when i switch on, i got blue screen
    with CPU and stuff about memory statement maybe 'Machine check', there
    is also a line which asks me to press HALT to go back to console and the
    machine seems to freeze, well, what's the halt button ? which console ?

    Someone told me that it can be a problem with the video card, the actual
    video card is on ISA slot (it seems to me). And i can't find a list of
    compatible video card.

    do you know where i can find some info ?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Digital Miata 500a

    "Deepthroat" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > i got a miata 500a with problem. I never used such box and i don't
    > really know the exact running, but when i switch on, i got blue screen
    > with CPU and stuff about memory statement maybe 'Machine check', there
    > is also a line which asks me to press HALT to go back to console and the
    > machine seems to freeze, well, what's the halt button ? which console ?
    >
    > Someone told me that it can be a problem with the video card, the actual
    > video card is on ISA slot (it seems to me). And i can't find a list of
    > compatible video card.
    >
    > do you know where i can find some info ?
    >
    > Thanks

    Here is FreeBSD's hardware guide - I use this guide quite often when setting
    up Alpha machines:

    http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.3R...ha.html#AEN274

    Ok, it sounds like you are indeed machine-checking, but the output on the
    screen is a good indicator of what is going on. If you are looking for a
    compatible video card - a Matrox Millennium I or II is an excellent choice -
    or go without a video card and hook up a serial console.

    HTH,

    AJ Schroeder

  3. Re: Digital Miata 500a

    On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Deepthroat wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > i got a miata 500a with problem. I never used such box and i don't really
    > know the exact running, but when i switch on, i got blue screen with CPU and
    > stuff about memory statement maybe 'Machine check', there is also a line
    > which asks me to press HALT to go back to console and the machine seems to
    > freeze, well, what's the halt button ? which console ?

    Hmm, AFAIK Miatas don't have a halt button... There might be a jumber on
    the motherboard that turns the reset button into a halt button. (At least
    the alphastation 500 such a jumper.)

    > which console ?

    SRM maybe? Except it's an A and not an AU, so I don't know...

    > Someone told me that it can be a problem with the video card, the actual
    > video card is on ISA slot (it seems to me). And i can't find a list of
    > compatible video card.

    It should be a PCI card. Many shipped with Powerstorm cards (which are
    actually made by Intergraph, and only have binary drivers for Tru64 and
    Windoze. I've had good luck with Matrox cards. Sometimes they are finicky
    about what slot you put them in though.

    If you're getting video output, that probably isn't the problem though.

    > do you know where i can find some info ?

    It might be helpful if you could post the exact output. You can connect a
    serial line to serial port 1, and unplug the keyboard to get output there.

    Ivan

    PS: If it's not too much trouble, could you tell me the positions of all
    the jumpers and dip switches on your motherboard. (Just the upper part
    with the CPU, not the part with the ISA and PCI slots.) I have a 433au
    with a 500 MHz chip that I'd like to actually be able to run at 500 MHz.
    I haven't been able to find any documentation on this

  4. Re: Digital Miata 500a

    If the cost of international shipping is not a factor, I have some Matrox
    Millenium I and II cards here in good operational condition and priced for the
    year 2005 (not for year 2000!). Contact me offline if interested... Ben Myers

    ben_myers@charter.net

    On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 18:43:05 +0100, Deepthroat wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >i got a miata 500a with problem. I never used such box and i don't
    >really know the exact running, but when i switch on, i got blue screen
    >with CPU and stuff about memory statement maybe 'Machine check', there
    >is also a line which asks me to press HALT to go back to console and the
    >machine seems to freeze, well, what's the halt button ? which console ?
    >
    >Someone told me that it can be a problem with the video card, the actual
    >video card is on ISA slot (it seems to me). And i can't find a list of
    >compatible video card.
    >
    >do you know where i can find some info ?
    >
    >Thanks

  5. Re: Digital Miata 500a

    > PS: If it's not too much trouble, could you tell me the positions of all
    > the jumpers and dip switches on your motherboard. (Just the upper part
    > with the CPU, not the part with the ISA and PCI slots.) I have a 433au
    > with a 500 MHz chip that I'd like to actually be able to run at 500 MHz.
    > I haven't been able to find any documentation on this

    http://www.redhat.com/archives/axp-l.../msg00008.html

  6. Re: Digital Miata 500a

    Ivan Jager wrote:

    > Hmm, AFAIK Miatas don't have a halt button...

    it does

    L.

    --
    %DCL-F-RUIDIOT?

  7. Re: Digital Miata 500a

    Deepthroat a écrit :

    > do you know where i can find some info ?

    Well, Thank you for all your messages. But actually the box works fine !
    and I duno exactly why I kicked its ass, maybe help

    So, Digital Unix runs, and i get a shell. First time i use digital unix
    and seems to be not easy to admin.

    Maybe, it's litlle bit off in this newsgroup but, i have a user who
    wants to use the digital fortran90 compiler, but i don't want to use
    digital unix, so is it possible to run a linux or a bsd and still
    execute digital compiler ?

    thanks.

+ Reply to Thread