Console Cable diagram for Alpha Server GS140/8400 - DEC

This is a discussion on Console Cable diagram for Alpha Server GS140/8400 - DEC ; Hello, I'm looking for diagram of console cable for AlphaServer GS140 (one side is RJ with 6 pins, not symmetrical; the other side should be DB9 or DB25 RS232 connector). Thanks in advance for any help, Paul...

  1. Console Cable diagram for Alpha Server GS140/8400

    Hello,

    I'm looking for diagram of console cable for AlphaServer GS140 (one side
    is RJ with 6 pins, not symmetrical; the other side should be DB9 or DB25
    RS232 connector).

    Thanks in advance for any help,

    Paul

  2. Re: Console Cable diagram for Alpha Server GS140/8400

    In article ,
    Pawel Lesniak wrote:
    >Hello,
    >
    >I'm looking for diagram of console cable for AlphaServer GS140 (one side
    >is RJ with 6 pins, not symmetrical; the other side should be DB9 or DB25
    >RS232 connector).
    >
    >Thanks in advance for any help,
    >
    >Paul

    The RJ is actually DEC MMJ...

    I don't have the pinout.

    BIll
    | Bill and/or Carolyn Pechter | pechter@shell.monmouth.com |
    | Bill Gates is a Persian cat and a monocle away from being a villain in |
    | a James Bond movie -- Dennis Miller |

  3. Re: Console Cable diagram for Alpha Server GS140/8400

    Pawel Lesniak wrote:

    > I'm looking for diagram of console cable for AlphaServer GS140 (one
    > side is RJ with 6 pins, not symmetrical; the other side should be DB9
    > or DB25 RS232 connector).

    it's not a RJ but a MMJ connector

    looking at the female connector in your device, with the lock stripe at
    bottom
    pins from left to right:

    1 DTR Data Terminal Ready
    2 TXD+ Transmit Data +
    3 TXD- Transmit Data -
    4 RXD+ Receive Data +
    5 RXD- Receive Data -
    6 DSR Data Set Ready

    look for the DB9 or DB25 RS232 pinout for matching the signals, if you can't
    find a MMJ connector for the cable you can modify a RJ45 one

    L.

    --
    %DCL-F-RUIDIOT?

  4. Re: Console Cable diagram for Alpha Server GS140/8400

    In article , Pawel Lesniak writes:

    :I'm looking for diagram of console cable for AlphaServer GS140 (one side
    :is RJ with 6 pins, not symmetrical; the other side should be DB9 or DB25
    :RS232 connector).

    Pin-outs, wiring diagrams and lists of adapters are included in the
    OpenVMS Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) document -- open or (better)
    download the text-format version of the FAQ, and search for DB9, MMJ,
    console, wiring or...

    ---------------------------- #include -----------------------------
    For additional, please see the OpenVMS FAQ -- www.hp.com/go/openvms/faq
    --------------------------- pure personal opinion ---------------------------
    Hoff (Stephen) Hoffman OpenVMS Engineering hoff[at]hp.com

  5. Re: Console Cable diagram for Alpha Server GS140/8400

    > Pin-outs, wiring diagrams and lists of adapters are included in the
    > OpenVMS Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) document -- open or (better)
    > download the text-format version of the FAQ, and search for DB9, MMJ,
    > console, wiring or...

    Well, I've tried pinout from OpenVMS FAQ.
    It's:
    1 DTR
    2 TXD+
    3 TXD- (GND)
    4 RXD- (GND)
    5 RXD+
    6 DSR

    And my problem is connected with the other side (DB9). The FAQ says:
    1 DCD
    2 RX
    3 TX
    4 DTR
    5 GND
    6 DSR
    7 RTS
    8 CTS
    9 floating

    I'm not sure how to connect them. I'm missing the point if I need to
    make connections like:
    RX+ - TX
    TX+ - RX
    DSR - DTR
    DTR - DSR
    TX-, RX- - GND
    ?
    And what about other DB9 cables like DCD, RTS, CTS ?

    Paul

  6. Re: Console Cable diagram for Alpha Server GS140/8400

    Pawel Lesniak wrote:

    > And what about other DB9 cables like DCD, RTS, CTS ?

    DEC MMJ Linux PC DB9
    Pin Signal Signal Pin
    === ====== ====== ===
    1 DTR -----------------------|---> DSR 6
    |---> CTS 8
    2 TxD ---------------------------> RxD 2
    3 SG (TxD)--------------------|--- SG 5
    4 SG (RxD)--------------------|
    5 RxD <--------------------------- TxD 3
    6 DSR <-----------------------|--- RTS 7
    |--> DTR 4
    |--> CD 1
    (no connection) RI 9

    --
    %DCL-F-RUIDIOT?

  7. Re: Console Cable diagram for Alpha Server GS140/8400

    In article , Pawel Lesniak writes:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm looking for diagram of console cable for AlphaServer GS140 (one side
    > is RJ with 6 pins, not symmetrical; the other side should be DB9 or DB25
    > RS232 connector).

    This almost sounds like the cable that comes with the HSx controllers. I
    used to have a box full of them where I used to work.

    Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD"
    >>> To reply, remove the TRABoD! <<<

    Kaplow Klips & Baffle: http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
    www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org

    "For as adamant as my country has been about civil liberties during
    peacetime, it has a long history ... of failing to preserve civil
    liberties when it perceived its national security threatened." --
    former Supreme Court Justice William Brennan

  8. Re: Console Cable diagram for Alpha Server GS140/8400

    :
    :Well, I've tried pinout from OpenVMS FAQ.
    :It's:

    At least the most current version of the FAQ -- I'm working on an update
    at present -- has pointers to the pinouts and diagrams that are available
    at the OpenVMS Ask The Wizard site. Specifically:

    http://h71000.www7.hp.com/wizard/padapters.html

    If you want to roll your own adapter rather than acquiring one, then do
    take a look at the above site.

    I'm making a number of changes and updates in this area of the OpenVMS
    FAQ -- for some years, there has been little feedback and no particular
    updates needed within this section of the FAQ, but a barrage of questions,
    of updates and the rise of a semi-obscure adapter be useful on the HP
    Integrity management processor (MP) DB25 port all arrived over the past
    month or so.

    I've attached the current working copy of the FAQ section on DECconnect
    adapters below. Because of the way URLs work at the HP site -- and that
    is fodder for another discussion, but not now -- I can't safely refer to
    the padapters.html page directly.

    ---------------------------- #include -----------------------------
    For additional, please see the OpenVMS FAQ -- www.hp.com/go/openvms/faq
    --------------------------- pure personal opinion ---------------------------
    Hoff (Stephen) Hoffman OpenVMS Engineering hoff[at]hp.com

    14.26 What connectors and wiring adapters are available?

    The H8571-B and H8575-B convert the (non-2000-series)
    MicroVAX DB9 to the DECconnect DEC-423 Modified
    Modular Jack (MMJ) pin-out; to the MMJ DECconnect
    wiring system. The MicroVAX 2000 and VAXstation 2000
    requires a BCC08 cable (which has the 8-9 short, see
    Section 14.25) and the H8571-C or the H8571-D DB25-to-
    MMJ adapter for use with DECconnect. (For a discussion
    of the console bulkhead on the MicroVAX II series and
    on other closely-related series systems, please see
    Section 14.3.3.4.)

    Somewhat less ancient HP (HP, Compaq or DIGITAL logo)
    systems will use either the DECconnect MMJ wiring
    directly or-on most (all?) recent system designs-
    the PC-compatible DB9 9-pin pin-out; the PC-style COM
    serial port interface and connection.

    There are two DB9 9-pin pin-outs, that of the H8571-
    B and similar for the MicroVAX and other and older
    systems, and that of the H8571-J for the PC-style COM
    port, AlphaStation, Integrity, and other newer systems.
    The older MicroVAX DB9 and the PC-style DB9 pin-outs
    are not compatible.

    Table 14-7 DECconnect MMJ Connectors and Adapters

    Part________Converts_BC16E_MMJ_male_to_fit_into___ _____

    H8571-A EIA232 DB25 25-pin female (common).
    Functionally similar to the H8575-A, though
    the H8575-A has better ESD shielding.

    H8571-B Older MicroVAX (other than the MicroVAX
    2000) DB9 EIA232 serial port. Functionally
    similar to the H8575-B, though the H8575-B
    has better ESD shielding. Note: Cannot be
    used on a PC, Alpha nor Integrity DB9 9-pin
    connector.

    H8571-C 25 pin DSUB Female to MMJ, Unfiltered

    H8571-D EIA232 25 pin male (modem-wired)

    14-58

    Hardware Information

    Table 14-7 (Cont.) DECconnect MMJ Connectors and Adapters

    Part________Converts_BC16E_MMJ_male_to_fit_into___ _____

    H8571-E 25 pin DSUB Female to MMJ, Filtered

    H8571-J PC, Alpha, Integrity 9 pin (DB9) male (PC-
    style COM serial port) Note: Cannot be used
    on the older MicroVAX DB9 9-pin connector

    H8572-0 BC16E MMJ double-female (MMJ extender)

    H8575-A EIA232 DB25 25-pin female (common).
    Functionally similar to the H8571-A, though
    the H8575-A has better ESD shielding.

    H8575-B Older MicroVAX (other than the MicroVAX
    2000) DB9 EIA232 serial port. Functionally
    similar to the H8571-B, though the H8575-B
    has better ESD shielding. Note: Cannot be
    used on a PC, Alpha nor Integrity DB9 9-pin
    connector

    H8575-D 25 Pin to MMJ with better ESD Protection

    H8575-D 25 Pin to MMJ with better and ESD
    Protection

    H8575-E 25 Pin Integrity rx2600 Management
    Processor (MP) port to MMJ, with ESD
    Protection

    H8577-AA 6 pin Female MMJ to 8 pin MJ

    BC16E-** MMJ cable with connectors, available in
    _____________________various_lengths______________ ______________

    Numerous additional adapters and cables are available
    from the (now out of print) OPEN DECconnect Building
    Wiring Components and Applications Catalog, as well as
    descriptions of the above-listed parts.

    The DECconnect wiring system has insufficient signaling
    for modems, and particularly lacks support for modem
    control signals.

    The H8571-A and H8575-A are MMJ to DB25 (female) and
    other connector wiring diagrams and adapter-, cable-
    and pin-out-related discussions are available at:

    o http://www.hp.com/go/openvms/wizard/

    Jameco has offered a USB-A to PS/2 Mini DIN 6 Adapter
    (as part 168751), for those folks wishing to (try to)
    use PS/2 Keyboards via USB-A connections.

    The LK463 USB keyboard is also a potential option, for
    those wishing to connect an OpenVMS keyboard to USB
    systems or (via the provided adapter) to PS/2 systems.
    The LK463 provides the classic OpenVMS keyboard and
    keyboard layout on USB-based system configurations,
    including operations with the USB connection on
    specific Alpha systems (and specifically on those with
    supported USB connections) and on Integrity servers.

    For information on the Alpha console COM port(s) or on
    the VAX console port, please see Section 14.3.

+ Reply to Thread