DECpc AXP 150 is there a Failsafe Loader ? - DEC

This is a discussion on DECpc AXP 150 is there a Failsafe Loader ? - DEC ; So, I was trying to use saveenv.exe to save the enviroment variables on my working Jensen, and I made the mistake of walking away from it. When I came back the video output was corrupted, so I resorted to the ...

  1. DECpc AXP 150 is there a Failsafe Loader ?

    So, I was trying to use saveenv.exe to save the enviroment variables on
    my working Jensen, and I made the mistake of walking away from it.
    When I came back the video output was corrupted, so I resorted to the
    old standby and rebooted. Now I have a new Jensen anchor. To go with
    the other Jensen anchor I was trying to fix in the first place.
    Neither of them will bring up video on the #9 GXE cards that are
    installed. Although they both booted to the ARC console before I
    started trying to actually put an OS on them. The one that I just
    bricked LED status code indicates that its starting the Failsafe Loader
    (LED 0 lights up) and the floppy drive spins up looking for the loader
    I assume. Anyone know where I can find a FSL for this architecture?
    Mr. Tomkins? I tried making one from dec2000_v2_2.sys with mkboot.exe
    but that didn't seem to do anything.

    These are the heaviest machines I own, and the only Digital Equipment.
    I refuse to let them die, even if they seem to want it to be that way.

  2. Re: DECpc AXP 150 is there a Failsafe Loader ?

    http://www.freddym.org/howtos/axp150.php

    This looks like a good site to read.

    Unfortunately, I seem to be drawing a blank when it comes to the firmware on
    the Jensen. I guess it's been too many years since I last handled one.

    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/fi...re/axp150.html

    Try disconnecting the keyboard and mouse and hooking up a VT100 or
    look-alike to the COM1 port. Possibly the output is ending up on the serial
    console.

    rtt

    wrote in message
    news:1110544125.491176.291200@l41g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
    > So, I was trying to use saveenv.exe to save the enviroment variables on
    > my working Jensen, and I made the mistake of walking away from it.
    > When I came back the video output was corrupted, so I resorted to the
    > old standby and rebooted. Now I have a new Jensen anchor. To go with
    > the other Jensen anchor I was trying to fix in the first place.
    > Neither of them will bring up video on the #9 GXE cards that are
    > installed. Although they both booted to the ARC console before I
    > started trying to actually put an OS on them. The one that I just
    > bricked LED status code indicates that its starting the Failsafe Loader
    > (LED 0 lights up) and the floppy drive spins up looking for the loader
    > I assume. Anyone know where I can find a FSL for this architecture?
    > Mr. Tomkins? I tried making one from dec2000_v2_2.sys with mkboot.exe
    > but that didn't seem to do anything.
    >
    > These are the heaviest machines I own, and the only Digital Equipment.
    > I refuse to let them die, even if they seem to want it to be that way.

  3. Re: DECpc AXP 150 is there a Failsafe Loader ?

    In article <1110544125.491176.291200@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups. com>, hinnersd@nycap.rr.com writes:
    :Anyone know where I can find a FSL for this architecture?

    The failsafe loader is the piece that tries to load the firmware.
    (If the failsafe loader -- this box apparently called it the
    failsafe boot, FWIW -- is active, then you need the firmware on
    CD or floppy, and not the loader itself.)

    :...I tried making one from dec2000_v2_2.sys with mkboot.exe
    :but that didn't seem to do anything.

    What you apparently need here are the bits, and how to generate
    the disks is covered at the Alpha SRM firmware website.

    http://h18002.www1.hp.com/alphaserve...p/dec2000.html
    http://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha...e/dec2000.html

    The failsafe loader (failsafe boot) is looking for jnupdate.exe,
    according to the documentation. (This filename may well have been
    changed to fwupdate to match other boxes, I do not know.) Again,
    according to the documentation, the box does appear to display what
    it is looking for. (It's been quite some time since I've worked
    with a DEC 2000 series box, FWIW.)

    The OpenVMS FAQ has some pointers to related materials, as well.

    For additional, please see the OpenVMS FAQ -- www.hp.com/go/openvms/faq
    Hoff (Stephen) Hoffman OpenVMS Engineering hoff[at]hp.com

+ Reply to Thread