PWS 500 au and qlogic SCSI controller - DEC

This is a discussion on PWS 500 au and qlogic SCSI controller - DEC ; Hi all gurus, I have to add a qlogic SCSI adapter (KZPBR-CY) to a PWS 500au (MIATA) running DigitalUnix 4.0E due to addition of some external devices. Does anyone know a way to do this without a complete installation from ...

  1. PWS 500 au and qlogic SCSI controller

    Hi all gurus,

    I have to add a qlogic SCSI adapter (KZPBR-CY) to a PWS
    500au (MIATA) running DigitalUnix 4.0E due to addition of
    some external devices. Does anyone know a way to do this
    without a complete installation from scratch?

    Best Regards
    Rainer

  2. Re: PWS 500 au and qlogic SCSI controller

    You do know the KZPBA-CY is UW Differential (High Voltage Diff HVD not LVD)
    ?
    The KZPBA-CA (aka KZPBA-CX) is SE compatible with LVD

    DT

    David B Turner
    Island Computers US Corp
    2700 Gregory St, Suite 180
    Savannah GA 31404
    Tel: 912 447 6622 X201
    Mobile: 912 447 6622 X251
    Fax: 912 201 0402
    Email: dbturner@icusc.com
    Web: http://www.islandco.com
    "rainer lörwald" wrote in message
    > Hi all gurus,
    >
    > I have to add a qlogic SCSI adapter (KZPBR-CY) to a PWS
    > 500au (MIATA) running DigitalUnix 4.0E due to addition of
    > some external devices. Does anyone know a way to do this
    > without a complete installation from scratch?
    >
    > Best Regards
    > Rainer

  3. Re: PWS 500 au and qlogic SCSI controller

    rainer =?iso-8859-2?Q?l=F6rwald?= writes in article <422B8D8A.7507EEA2@gmx.de> dated Mon, 07 Mar 2005 00:08:58 +0100:
    >I have to add a qlogic SCSI adapter (KZPBR-CY) to a PWS
    >500au (MIATA) running DigitalUnix 4.0E due to addition of
    >some external devices. Does anyone know a way to do this
    >without a complete installation from scratch?

    Coming from VMS-land I know very little about Digital Unix.

    Is the problem that the device names for your existing disks might change?

    If so, here's how I'd handle it.

    1. >>>SET AUTO_ACTION HALT
    2. Power down the system and add the card.
    3. Power up the system and use >>>SHOW DEV to see the new devices. If they
    haven't changed, you're probably home free.
    4. If they have changed, power down the computer and remove the board.
    Then boot it and edit /etc/fstab to reflect the new configuration.
    5. Power down, re-install the card, power up, set the new BOOTDEF_DEV, and
    go.

    There's a hole in this in that if you screw up step 4 you end up with an
    unuseable system, maybe somebody more unix-savvy can give a better
    suggestion.

    --Keith Lewis klewis {at} mitre.org
    The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

  4. Re: PWS 500 au and qlogic SCSI controller

    Keith,

    the devicenames are not the problem, I don´t see any
    (actually, it´s only a DAT-drive). David´s answer might be
    the solution. The attached drive is not compatible with HVD,
    I have to check with the vendor, as the computer is 250 km
    away.

    Thanks anyway
    Rainer

    "Keith A. Lewis" schrieb:

    > rainer =?iso-8859-2?Q?l=F6rwald?= writes in article <422B8D8A.7507EEA2@gmx.de> dated Mon, 07 Mar 2005 00:08:58 +0100:
    > >I have to add a qlogic SCSI adapter (KZPBR-CY) to a PWS
    > >500au (MIATA) running DigitalUnix 4.0E due to addition of
    > >some external devices. Does anyone know a way to do this
    > >without a complete installation from scratch?

    > Coming from VMS-land I know very little about Digital Unix.
    >
    > Is the problem that the device names for your existing disks might change?
    >
    > If so, here's how I'd handle it.
    >
    > 1. >>>SET AUTO_ACTION HALT
    > 2. Power down the system and add the card.
    > 3. Power up the system and use >>>SHOW DEV to see the new devices. If they
    > haven't changed, you're probably home free.
    > 4. If they have changed, power down the computer and remove the board.
    > Then boot it and edit /etc/fstab to reflect the new configuration.
    > 5. Power down, re-install the card, power up, set the new BOOTDEF_DEV, and
    > go.
    >
    > There's a hole in this in that if you screw up step 4 you end up with an
    > unuseable system, maybe somebody more unix-savvy can give a better
    > suggestion.
    >
    > --Keith Lewis klewis {at} mitre.org
    > The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

  5. Re: PWS 500 au and qlogic SCSI controller

    David,

    this might be the problem, the DAT only accepts LVD. I´ll
    check that.

    Best Regards
    Rainer

    "David Turner, Island Computers US Corp" schrieb:

    > You do know the KZPBA-CY is UW Differential (High Voltage Diff HVD not LVD)
    > ?
    > The KZPBA-CA (aka KZPBA-CX) is SE compatible with LVD
    >
    > DT
    >
    > --
    > David B Turner
    > Island Computers US Corp
    > 2700 Gregory St, Suite 180
    > Savannah GA 31404
    > Tel: 912 447 6622 X201
    > Mobile: 912 447 6622 X251
    > Fax: 912 201 0402
    > Email: dbturner@icusc.com
    > Web: http://www.islandco.com
    > "rainer lörwald" wrote in message
    > > Hi all gurus,
    > >
    > > I have to add a qlogic SCSI adapter (KZPBR-CY) to a PWS
    > > 500au (MIATA) running DigitalUnix 4.0E due to addition of
    > > some external devices. Does anyone know a way to do this
    > > without a complete installation from scratch?
    > >
    > > Best Regards
    > > Rainer

+ Reply to Thread