MicroVAX II problem - DEC

This is a discussion on MicroVAX II problem - DEC ; Hello all, I purchased a MicroVAX II about a year ago. When I went to the office where it was sitting, the original owner, a former DEC field service engineer, and myself powered the machine up. VMS came up successfully; ...

  1. MicroVAX II problem

    Hello all,

    I purchased a MicroVAX II about a year ago. When I went to
    the office where it was sitting, the original owner, a former
    DEC field service engineer, and myself powered the machine up.
    VMS came up successfully; no problems there. The system is in
    a BA23 rackmount chassis, and contains a MOB Systems quniverter,
    to connect it to a BA11K Unibus chassis via two large ribbon
    cables. The system contains also the following boards:

    M7658 - 16-bit parallel I/O with DMA and block mode functions
    M3104 - DHV11-A 8-line asynchronous DMA MUX
    M7651 - 18/22-bit DMA general purpose parallel interface

    Also, a TQK50 TMSCP controller and an RQDX3 ST-506 MSCP controller.
    The system has for drives an RD54 fixed disk and a TK50 tape drive.

    Anyhow, once I got the system home and cabled everything back according
    to the notes/pictures taken of the original installation, the system
    would not come up, and the DC OK light on the front panel would not
    light. I checked and re-checked the cable connections, re-seated all the
    boards, still no-go.

    Realizing I would not need the Unibus chassis, as it contained no cards
    other than the one needed to connect it to the uVAX II's Qbus, I removed
    the Qbus part of the quniverter. This solved the DC OK problem, and the
    system would actually begin its power-on tests (F...E...D...C... etc.),
    however, it hangs at 3. From what I could find in DEC documentation,
    this is a "spurious interrupt" problem, and the docs gave no clue as to
    how to go about tracking it down to any specific part of the system.

    I have tried pulling all the cards except for CPU and memory, to no avail.
    I tried installing the RD54 in a VAXstation 2000. It boots VMS successfully
    when installed in that system, so I know the drive is good.

    Unfortunately, I recently moved and could not keep the BA11K due to
    space constraints, so I have since parted with that chassis.

    I'm completely stumped at this point. Any suggestions?

    Thanks much,

    John Willis

  2. Re: MicroVAX II problem

    John Willis wrote:
    > Hello all,
    > system would actually begin its power-on tests (F...E...D...C...

    etc.),
    > however, it hangs at 3. From what I could find in DEC documentation,

    I have only had 2 vaxes in my experience, but they all usually start
    counting somewhere in the 60's, count down to 3, and print:

    at the three anglebracketts you type "boo" (or boo dia0 or whatever)
    and then it does 2,1,0 and then loads the system. Hope that helps.

  3. Re: MicroVAX II problem

    John Willis wrote:

    > Realizing I would not need the Unibus chassis, as it contained no cards
    > other than the one needed to connect it to the uVAX II's Qbus, I removed
    > the Qbus part of the quniverter. This solved the DC OK problem, and the
    > system would actually begin its power-on tests (F...E...D...C... etc.),
    > however, it hangs at 3. From what I could find in DEC documentation,
    > this is a "spurious interrupt" problem, and the docs gave no clue as to
    > how to go about tracking it down to any specific part of the system.

    IIRC after 3 it gives the >>> on the console, and wants you to type the
    boot command. ">>> boot dua0" should do something

    --
    Alex.

+ Reply to Thread