microvax/vaxstation 3100 info - DEC

This is a discussion on microvax/vaxstation 3100 info - DEC ; To: Comp.Sys.Dec I'm looking to aquire either a vaxstation or microvax 3100 any model (what are the main differences between the mv/vs?). I'm located in the northeastern USA and am looking for a relatively inexppensive system in working condition. Does ...

  1. microvax/vaxstation 3100 info

    To: Comp.Sys.Dec
    I'm looking to aquire either a vaxstation or microvax 3100 any model (what
    are the main differences between the mv/vs?). I'm located in the
    northeastern USA and am looking for a relatively inexppensive system in
    working condition. Does anyone have such a system they wouldn't mind
    parting with? email alex_snow@gmx.net
    thanks.

    --- Synchronet 3.12b-Linux NewsLink 1.76
    alex's BBS - telnet://alexbbs.dyndns.org

  2. Re: microvax/vaxstation 3100 info

    Alex wrote:

    > To: Comp.Sys.Dec
    > I'm looking to aquire either a vaxstation or microvax 3100 any model (what
    > are the main differences between the mv/vs?). I'm located in the

    It seems the difference is the software license with early models.
    vaxstation3100 has one person license, and microvax3100 has multiple
    seating license. The hardware difference might be a jumper, or a flag bit
    in NVRAM.

    With later models the difference might be that vaxstation3100 has frame
    buffer vedio support, while microvax3100 does not have that.

    As usual, I could be wrong.

    vax, 9000

    > northeastern USA and am looking for a relatively inexppensive system in
    > working condition. Does anyone have such a system they wouldn't mind
    > parting with? email alex_snow@gmx.net
    > thanks.
    >
    > --- Synchronet 3.12b-Linux NewsLink 1.76
    > alex's BBS - telnet://alexbbs.dyndns.org

  3. Re: microvax/vaxstation 3100 info

    vax, 9000 wrote:

    > It seems the difference is the software license with early models.
    > vaxstation3100 has one person license, and microvax3100 has multiple
    > seating license. The hardware difference might be a jumper, or a flag bit
    > in NVRAM.

    You are confusing the VAXserver 3100 with the MicroVAX 3100.
    A MicroVAX 3100 never has graphics, not even the early models.
    There have been different license PAKs for these machines
    (at least for VMS) but today you will probably use the Hobbyist
    license anyway, so there isn't any real difference now, except
    for CPU speed, RAM etc.

    mfg
    Dennis

    --
    Cats are smarter than dogs. You can't make eight cats pull a sled through
    the snow.

  4. Re: microvax/vaxstation 3100 info

    In article <421E7977.1196.dec@alexbbs.dyndns.org>, "Alex" writes:
    :I'm looking to aquire either a vaxstation or microvax 3100 any model
    what are the main differences between the mv/vs?).

    MicroVAX 3100 series systems have no graphics, and can be licensed
    for zero or more users. These are time-sharing systems.

    VAXstation 3100 series systems do have graphics, and are normally
    licensed for one user. These are workstation systems.

    VAXserver 3100 series systems lack graphics, and generally also
    lack multi-user licenses. These are serves, obviously.

    The oldest generations of the MicroVAX 3100 series and all members
    of the VAXstation 3100 series have system disk addressing limits;
    please see the OpenVMS FAQ for the specific details and models.
    Some of the early MicroVAX 3100 series systems had ROM upgrades,
    but no VAXstation 3100 ROM upgrades were available.

    If this were a VAX workstation system I was looking for, I would
    search for a VAXstation 4000 model 60, model 90, or model 9%, as
    these have both graphics and fairly good VAX processor performance.
    These VAXstation 4000 series systems also have no particular system
    disk addressing limitations, and these have full native SCSI, and
    DECwindows workstation graphics support.

    If I wanted to use a serial console, serial or network terminal,
    or remote X Windows via DECwindows, most any of the upper-end
    MicroVAX 3100 series boxes are nice, and are quite speedy -- as
    VAX systems go.

    I would not typically (personally) look for a VAXstation 3100, nor
    would I look for anything below a MicroVAX 3100 model 40 or so.

    Do not assume that the VAXstation 3100 models have any bearing on
    the MicroVAX 3100 series models -- the VAXstation 3100 model 38 and
    model 48 are roughly analogous to an early MicroVAX 3100 model 10e
    or 20e, respectively, for instance, though the VAXstation typically
    has a graphics controller. The VAXstation 3100 model 38 is a smaller
    box than the VAXstation 3100 model 48; the former has more restricted
    internal expansion capabilities. (And please be aware that there
    are many very-similarly-named systems, including the VAXstation 3100
    series, the MicroVAX 3100 series, the VAXserver 3100 series, and
    -- just to keep things interesting -- the DECstation 3100 series
    ULTRIX MIPS boxes.)

    AlphaStation XP1000 series boxes regularly show up on eBay for well
    under US$1000, FWIW, and other Alpha systems are readily available
    on the used market. New Itanium systems have starting prices under
    US$4000, which tends to keep a lid on the used-equipment prices.

    ---------------------------- #include -----------------------------
    For additional, please see the OpenVMS FAQ -- www.hp.com/go/openvms/faq
    --------------------------- pure personal opinion ---------------------------
    Hoff (Stephen) Hoffman OpenVMS Engineering hoff[at]hp.com

  5. Re: microvax/vaxstation 3100 info

    "Alex" schreef in bericht
    > To: Comp.Sys.Dec
    > I'm looking to aquire either a vaxstation or microvax 3100 any model (what
    > are the main differences between the mv/vs?). I'm located in the
    > northeastern USA and am looking for a relatively inexppensive system in
    > working condition. Does anyone have such a system they wouldn't mind
    > parting with? email alex_snow@gmx.net
    > thanks.

    In terms of performance and price I'd recommend you look for a VAXstation
    4000 or a microVAX 4100 system. Same size as a VAXstation 3100 or microVAX
    3100 but with considerably more horsepower. Going prices are roughly the
    same: as high as $300 from over optimistic sellers to $0. A VAXstation
    4000-60 will run VAX/VMS 7.3 quite nicely even with a modest amount of
    memory (24 MB or more). I own three, and had to pay for only one. A
    VAXstation can run without a monitor. A PC with a serial COM port suffices
    as a basic console and DECWindows/Motif runs on any VMS system. Again, a PC
    is used as a Motif server for all the fancy graphics. BTW you'd want a
    VAXstation 4000-90, -90A, 96 or 96A with 64 MB or more memory if you're into
    that.
    The basic question actually is : what do you want to do with it?

    Hans

  6. Re: microvax/vaxstation 3100 info

    Hans Vlems wrote:

    > "Alex" schreef in bericht
    >> To: Comp.Sys.Dec
    >> I'm looking to aquire either a vaxstation or microvax 3100 any model
    >> (what are the main differences between the mv/vs?). I'm located in the
    >> northeastern USA and am looking for a relatively inexppensive system in
    >> working condition. Does anyone have such a system they wouldn't mind
    >> parting with? email alex_snow@gmx.net
    >> thanks.
    >>

    > In terms of performance and price I'd recommend you look for a VAXstation
    > 4000 or a microVAX 4100 system. Same size as a VAXstation 3100 or microVAX
    > 3100 but with considerably more horsepower. Going prices are roughly the

    Not really. See below.

    > same: as high as $300 from over optimistic sellers to $0. A VAXstation
    > 4000-60 will run VAX/VMS 7.3 quite nicely even with a modest amount of
    > memory (24 MB or more). I own three, and had to pay for only one. A
    > VAXstation can run without a monitor. A PC with a serial COM port suffices
    > as a basic console and DECWindows/Motif runs on any VMS system. Again, a
    > PC is used as a Motif server for all the fancy graphics. BTW you'd want a
    > VAXstation 4000-90, -90A, 96 or 96A with 64 MB or more memory if you're
    > into that.

    There are vaxstation 3100-90A, 95, 96, 98 and corresponding vax 4000-100a,
    105, 106, 108 with roughly the same speed (identical motherboard). Those
    4000's have Qbus and DSSI support though.

    vax, 9000

    > The basic question actually is : what do you want to do with it?
    >
    > Hans

  7. Re: microvax/vaxstation 3100 info

    "vax, 9000" schreef in bericht
    > Hans Vlems wrote:
    >

    > > "Alex" schreef in bericht
    > >> To: Comp.Sys.Dec
    > >> I'm looking to aquire either a vaxstation or microvax 3100 any model
    > >> (what are the main differences between the mv/vs?). I'm located in the
    > >> northeastern USA and am looking for a relatively inexppensive system in
    > >> working condition. Does anyone have such a system they wouldn't mind
    > >> parting with? email alex_snow@gmx.net
    > >> thanks.
    > >>

    > > In terms of performance and price I'd recommend you look for a

    VAXstation
    > > 4000 or a microVAX 4100 system. Same size as a VAXstation 3100 or

    microVAX
    > > 3100 but with considerably more horsepower. Going prices are roughly the

    > Not really. See below.
    >
    > > same: as high as $300 from over optimistic sellers to $0. A VAXstation
    > > 4000-60 will run VAX/VMS 7.3 quite nicely even with a modest amount of
    > > memory (24 MB or more). I own three, and had to pay for only one. A
    > > VAXstation can run without a monitor. A PC with a serial COM port

    suffices
    > > as a basic console and DECWindows/Motif runs on any VMS system. Again, a
    > > PC is used as a Motif server for all the fancy graphics. BTW you'd want

    > > VAXstation 4000-90, -90A, 96 or 96A with 64 MB or more memory if you're
    > > into that.

    > There are vaxstation 3100-90A, 95, 96, 98 and corresponding vax 4000-100a,
    > 105, 106, 108 with roughly the same speed (identical motherboard). Those
    > 4000's have Qbus and DSSI support though.
    >
    > vax, 9000

    That's right, later microVAX 3100 models and microVAX4100 shared the same
    main board. IIRC the model type could be changed at the >>> prompt. While
    writing the reply my mind was focused on the VAXstations, where the
    difference does matter. AFAIK there's no VAXstation 4000-9xA counterpart in
    the 3100 series.
    Other reasons why a VAXstation 4000 may be more attractive than a VAX 3100
    are:
    - a VAXstation4000 is easily opened and disks/tapes are easier to install
    - prices and availability of memory

    Hans

+ Reply to Thread