upgrading storage in Microvax - DEC

This is a discussion on upgrading storage in Microvax - DEC ; To: Comp.Sys.Dec I have a microvax-II currently with 4 rd54 drives as it's only disk storage. I'd like to expand the storage with somewhat larger disks in the hope of getting a gig or two at least of hard disk ...

  1. upgrading storage in Microvax

    To: Comp.Sys.Dec
    I have a microvax-II currently with 4 rd54 drives as it's only disk
    storage. I'd like to expand the storage with somewhat larger disks in the
    hope of getting a gig or two at least of hard disk on the machine. It's a
    hobbiest system so I don't care all that much about the speed and
    reliability of the disks. What are some good cheap storage solutions for
    these systems? My first thought was SCSI but SCSI hardware for these
    systems seems expensive and hard to come by. Any infor would be
    apreciated.

    --- Synchronet 3.12b-Linux NewsLink 1.76
    alex's BBS - telnet://alexbbs.dyndns.org

  2. Re: upgrading storage in Microvax

    If you dont want to go scsi you can always go esdi - controllers are
    cheap (ebay) and drives go up to 1gig if you find them. If you
    need/want a esdi controller let me know as I have a few thats
    collecting dust.
    phil

  3. Re: upgrading storage in Microvax

    tomarsin2015@comcast.net wrote:

    > If you dont want to go scsi you can always go esdi - controllers are
    > cheap (ebay) and drives go up to 1gig if you find them. If you
    > need/want a esdi controller let me know as I have a few thats
    > collecting dust.
    > phil

    ESDI disks are expensive. I bought 17 1G SCSI disks for $1 each, but a
    single 1G ESDI disk costs $50+.

    vax, 9000

  4. Re: upgrading storage in Microvax

    "Alex" schreef in bericht
    > To: Comp.Sys.Dec
    > I have a microvax-II currently with 4 rd54 drives as it's only disk
    > storage. I'd like to expand the storage with somewhat larger disks in the
    > hope of getting a gig or two at least of hard disk on the machine. It's a
    > hobbiest system so I don't care all that much about the speed and
    > reliability of the disks. What are some good cheap storage solutions for
    > these systems? My first thought was SCSI but SCSI hardware for these
    > systems seems expensive and hard to come by. Any infor would be
    > apreciated.
    >
    > --- Synchronet 3.12b-Linux NewsLink 1.76
    > alex's BBS - telnet://alexbbs.dyndns.org

    There are 3rd party SCSI controllers for Q-bus systems (e.g. Emulex) and
    they may be (still) expensive. The disks themselves are no longer expensive.
    50-pin SCSI drives can easily be found on Ebay at reasonable prices (e.g.
    DEC RZ26, RZ28 end RZ29 disks or similarly sized Seagate drives).
    Alternatively you can go for a network solution: nfs or clustering.
    NFS is supported by linux and Windows and pc storage is cheap.
    If you're running VMS then you can run simh on a pc and set up a cluster
    with the microVAX II. If you consider that cheating then get a real microVAX
    or VAXstation 3100, whatever model :-)

    Hans

  5. Re: upgrading storage in Microvax

    "Alex" writes:

    > I have a microvax-II currently with 4 rd54 drives as it's only disk
    > storage. I'd like to expand the storage with somewhat larger disks
    > in the hope of getting a gig or two at least of hard disk on the
    > machine. It's a hobbiest system so I don't care all that much about
    > the speed and reliability of the disks. What are some good cheap
    > storage solutions for these systems? My first thought was SCSI but
    > SCSI hardware for these systems seems expensive and hard to come
    > by. Any infor would be apreciated.

    The best disk contrroller for a uV-II is a 4000-96.

    --
    Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.

  6. Re: upgrading storage in Microvax

    there's always the high speed serial link (a.k.a. ethernet) and NFS...
    qbus scsi gear is very heard to find now...

    isildur

    On Sat, 19 Feb 2005, Alex wrote:

    > To: Comp.Sys.Dec
    > I have a microvax-II currently with 4 rd54 drives as it's only disk
    > storage. I'd like to expand the storage with somewhat larger disks in the
    > hope of getting a gig or two at least of hard disk on the machine. It's a
    > hobbiest system so I don't care all that much about the speed and
    > reliability of the disks. What are some good cheap storage solutions for
    > these systems? My first thought was SCSI but SCSI hardware for these
    > systems seems expensive and hard to come by. Any infor would be
    > apreciated.
    >
    > --- Synchronet 3.12b-Linux NewsLink 1.76
    > alex's BBS - telnet://alexbbs.dyndns.org

  7. Re: upgrading storage in Microvax

    *grin*
    well said!

    isildur

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 prep@prep.synonet.com wrote:

    > "Alex" writes:
    >
    >> I have a microvax-II currently with 4 rd54 drives as it's only disk
    >> storage. I'd like to expand the storage with somewhat larger disks
    >> in the hope of getting a gig or two at least of hard disk on the
    >> machine. It's a hobbiest system so I don't care all that much about
    >> the speed and reliability of the disks. What are some good cheap
    >> storage solutions for these systems? My first thought was SCSI but
    >> SCSI hardware for these systems seems expensive and hard to come
    >> by. Any infor would be apreciated.

    > The best disk contrroller for a uV-II is a 4000-96.
    >
    > --
    > Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    > +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.
    > West Australia 6076
    > comp.os.vms,- The Older, Grumpier Slashdot
    > Raw, Cooked or Well-done, it's all half baked.
    > EPIC, The Architecture of the future, always has been, always will be.

  8. Re: upgrading storage in Microvax

    We forgot about dssi drives - once again the controllers usually go for
    about 50 on ebay and the 1 and 2 gig drives are cheap also.
    phill

  9. Re: upgrading storage in Microvax

    On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 01:24:05 -0500, vax, 9000 wrote:

    > ESDI disks are expensive. I bought 17 1G SCSI disks for $1 each, but a
    > single 1G ESDI disk costs $50+.

    Yeah but a Qbus SCSI controller costs $300++...so the ESDI or DSSI
    solution is still cheaper.

    Personally I'd plonk $50* for a HSD (DSSI-SCSI) controller which attaches
    to a BA350 box, then you'd get all the SCSI goodness WITHOUT paying an arm
    or a leg...

    *average eBay price

    /ws

+ Reply to Thread