DSSI trouble - DEC

This is a discussion on DSSI trouble - DEC ; On a VAX 4000 m 500A, I pulled a drive from the middle of the "chain". Now nothing is seen in the chain. How am I supposed to do this? Only pull things from the end, or is there something ...

  1. DSSI trouble

    On a VAX 4000 m 500A, I pulled a drive from the middle of the "chain".
    Now nothing is seen in the chain. How am I supposed to do this? Only
    pull things from the end, or is there something else I need to do?

    --
    Nobody knows Particle Man.

  2. Re: DSSI trouble

    Howard Shubs writes:

    > On a VAX 4000 m 500A, I pulled a drive from the middle of the "chain".
    > Now nothing is seen in the chain. How am I supposed to do this? Only
    > pull things from the end, or is there something else I need to do?

    From the top shelf, or from a cable run? DSSI is even more fussy about
    termination than SCSI. You *MUST* terminate both ends, and the lights on
    the terminators has to be on.

    --
    Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.

  3. Re: DSSI trouble

    In article <87fz03l515.fsf@prep.synonet.com>, prep@prep.synonet.com
    wrote:

    > From the top shelf, or from a cable run? DSSI is even more fussy about
    > termination than SCSI. You *MUST* terminate both ends, and the lights on
    > the terminators has to be on.

    From the top shelf. The weirdness is that I took all the disks out from
    that shelf a little bit ago, put them back in in a different order and
    arranged so that the loud system disk is left-most, and they seem to be
    working.

    Next up, a backup.

    --
    Nobody knows Particle Man.

  4. Re: DSSI trouble

    Howard Shubs writes:

    > In article <87fz03l515.fsf@prep.synonet.com>, prep@prep.synonet.com
    > wrote:

    >> From the top shelf, or from a cable run? DSSI is even more fussy
    >> about termination than SCSI. You *MUST* terminate both ends, and
    >> the lights on the terminators has to be on.

    > From the top shelf. The weirdness is that I took all the disks out
    > from that shelf a little bit ago, put them back in in a different
    > order and arranged so that the loud system disk is left-most, and
    > they seem to be working.

    > Next up, a backup.

    You have a terminator on the end I assume. That sould not cause
    problems, I've done that on a running system with no problems. Other
    than the brain faded linux weenie who was watching

    --
    Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.
    West Australia 6076

  5. Re: DSSI trouble

    In article <877jlcd5yh.fsf@prep.synonet.com>, prep@prep.synonet.com
    wrote:

    > You have a terminator on the end I assume. That sould not cause
    > problems, I've done that on a running system with no problems. Other
    > than the brain faded linux weenie who was watching

    Yup. Got terminators. Whatever was wrong with it seems gone now. Made
    my backups!

    --
    Nobody knows Particle Man.

+ Reply to Thread