Articles: HP looks beyond Fiorina - DEC

This is a discussion on Articles: HP looks beyond Fiorina - DEC ; She has resigned from HP: http://tinyurl.com/5qx3b...

  1. Articles: HP looks beyond Fiorina

    She has resigned from HP: http://tinyurl.com/5qx3b

  2. Re: Articles: HP looks beyond Fiorina

    leeroth@my-deja.com wrote:
    > She has resigned from HP: http://tinyurl.com/5qx3b

    And there is dancing in the streets!

    HPQ stock went up enough on the news of her resignation to increase
    the value of HP by 8 *billion* dollars!

    -Chuck

  3. Re: Articles: HP looks beyond Fiorina

    And now Carly will blame the press for helping convince the HP board to dump
    her. The recent Fortune article was far less than a flattering portrait of the
    company. I think that the board finally understood that if the "dumb"
    journalists could figure what ails HP, then it was not long before the rest of
    the street would figure it out, too. Question is why the HP board took so long
    to get it?

    So what does Carly do next? Rumors are that she will land a job in the Bush II
    administration. Ambassador to Outer Mongolia or Lower Slobovia sounds good to
    me. Or maybe the Antarctic? She could sell refrigerators to the penguins.

    I hate to sound cruel, but HP has been singularly unimpressive during her 5
    years supposedly in charge.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 22:12:34 -0500, Chuck Harris
    wrote:

    >leeroth@my-deja.com wrote:
    >> She has resigned from HP: http://tinyurl.com/5qx3b
    >>

    >And there is dancing in the streets!
    >
    >HPQ stock went up enough on the news of her resignation to increase
    >the value of HP by 8 *billion* dollars!
    >
    >-Chuck

  4. Re: Articles: HP looks beyond Fiorina

    In article <420af0ac.37923961@nntp.charter.net>,
    ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:
    >And now Carly will blame the press for helping convince the HP board to

    dump
    >her. The recent Fortune article was far less than a flattering portrait

    of the
    >company. I think that the board finally understood that if the "dumb"
    >journalists could figure what ails HP, then it was not long before the

    rest of
    >the street would figure it out, too. Question is why the HP board took so

    long
    >to get it?
    >
    >So what does Carly do next?

    Who cares what happens to her? You should be caring about
    the computing infrastructure she decimated. HP isn't going
    to get those people back nor be able to restart the processes
    that had to be in place to do real development work and ships.

    _That's_ what you should be caring about. Getting rid
    of Carlybaby is only the first step. Undoing all the
    damage she did, especially pissing off all HP workers,
    is going to take some mighty strong decisions.

    /BAH

    Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.

  5. Re: Articles: HP looks beyond Fiorina

    wrote in message news:0tKdnRFdvc7r25bfRVn-3w@rcn.net...
    > In article <420af0ac.37923961@nntp.charter.net>,
    > ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:
    > >And now Carly will blame the press for helping convince the HP board to

    > dump
    > >her. The recent Fortune article was far less than a flattering portrait

    > of the
    > >company. I think that the board finally understood that if the "dumb"
    > >journalists could figure what ails HP, then it was not long before the

    > rest of
    > >the street would figure it out, too. Question is why the HP board took

    so
    > long
    > >to get it?
    > >
    > >So what does Carly do next?

    > Who cares what happens to her? You should be caring about
    > the computing infrastructure she decimated. HP isn't going
    > to get those people back nor be able to restart the processes
    > that had to be in place to do real development work and ships.
    >
    > _That's_ what you should be caring about. Getting rid
    > of Carlybaby is only the first step. Undoing all the
    > damage she did, especially pissing off all HP workers,
    > is going to take some mighty strong decisions.

    I think its worse than that. The big problem is the whole place is run by
    accountants (==Bean Counters), who don't understand the bigger ball game.
    For example they close the small order system for the last month of the
    financial year so no one can order anything. This is done "to improve the
    figures". How that squares with BS5750 certification I don't know. I can't
    see many ex employees who have other work going back only to be ditched
    again by the next CEO. As usual when you put pleasing the stockmarket ahead
    of the customers, the wheels start to fall off the pram.

    > /BAH
    >
    > Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.

  6. Re: Articles: HP looks beyond Fiorina

    To the list:

    Abut a year ago I was at the grocery store, in line at the checkout.
    The kid in front of me had just melted down the store's computer by
    buying a single bottle of Guinness, and the line was **not** moving.
    Idly, my gaze fell on the Sun. The headline informed me that "The
    Antichrist is Alive in the form of an American Businesswoman" it went
    on to say that this person wore two hats: not only was she the
    Antichrist, she was doing double duty as the Whore of Babylon.

    All i could think was ...

    CARLY!!!

    jn

    ps, this is a true story

  7. Re: Articles: HP looks beyond Fiorina

    In article <371v54F57404oU1@individual.net>,
    "David Wade" wrote:

    > wrote in message

    >> In article <420af0ac.37923961@nntp.charter.net>,
    >> ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:
    >> >And now Carly will blame the press for helping convince the HP board to

    >> dump
    >> >her. The recent Fortune article was far less than a flattering

    portrait
    >> of the
    >> >company. I think that the board finally understood that if the "dumb"
    >> >journalists could figure what ails HP, then it was not long before the

    >> rest of
    >> >the street would figure it out, too. Question is why the HP board took

    >so
    >> long
    >> >to get it?
    >> >
    >> >So what does Carly do next?

    >> Who cares what happens to her? You should be caring about
    >> the computing infrastructure she decimated. HP isn't going
    >> to get those people back nor be able to restart the processes
    >> that had to be in place to do real development work and ships.
    >>
    >> _That's_ what you should be caring about. Getting rid
    >> of Carlybaby is only the first step. Undoing all the
    >> damage she did, especially pissing off all HP workers,
    >> is going to take some mighty strong decisions.
    >>

    >I think its worse than that. The big problem is the whole place is run by
    >accountants (==Bean Counters), who don't understand the bigger ball game.
    >For example they close the small order system for the last month of the
    >financial year so no one can order anything.

    Good grief. Don't they have computers to handle the slow paperwork?
    Oh, forgive me....this is a computer company, they don't use computers.

    > .. This is done "to improve the
    >figures". How that squares with BS5750 certification I don't know. I can't
    >see many ex employees who have other work going back only to be ditched
    >again by the next CEO.

    Oh, they won't get the old bit gods back but they could get the people
    who did the grunt work of getting a ship out back. That's the
    infrastructure that was decimated. Bit gods can commit all kinds
    of miracles, but, without the grunt work that is done to get those
    bits moved out of corporation into the field, the miracles are
    figments of admiration.

    > ..As usual when you put pleasing the stockmarket ahead
    >of the customers, the wheels start to fall off the pram.

    I didn't see any efforts at pleasing the stock markets either.
    Hollywood mentality doesn't make long term profits.

    /BAH

    Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.

  8. Re: Articles: HP looks beyond Fiorina

    "As usual when you put pleasing the stockmarket ahead of the customers, the
    wheels start to fall off the pram." As the recent Fortune magazine article
    pointed out, the value of HP stock to shareholders has declined significantly
    during Carly's reign (word chosen intentionally), much of the decline directly
    attributable to the dilution of stock value by the Compaq acquisition. Carly
    didn't know how to please the stock market, either.

    The HP stockholders who were dead set against the HPaq merger were spot on.
    Acquiring Compaq has done nothing to reinforce HP's position in the overall
    computer market. Neither before nor after the HPaq buy did HP have a clearly
    defined idea of where it was going. It still does not due the absence of
    visionary leadership at the top. Compare the HP leadership and resulting
    products and services with any of the following: Lou Gerstner of IBM (now
    retired), Steve Jobs of Apple, Michael Dell.

    Frankly, I'm not sure what I would have done in Carly's place rather than pursue
    Compaq. Of course, the last four years have blurred my memory as to what the
    possible options might have been. But the Compaq deal was just plain stupid. I
    thought so back then, and time has vindicated the opinion I shared with many
    others... Ben Myers

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 20:40:01 -0000, "David Wade" wrote:

    > wrote in message news:0tKdnRFdvc7r25bfRVn-3w@rcn.net...
    >> In article <420af0ac.37923961@nntp.charter.net>,
    >> ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:
    >> >And now Carly will blame the press for helping convince the HP board to

    >> dump
    >> >her. The recent Fortune article was far less than a flattering portrait

    >> of the
    >> >company. I think that the board finally understood that if the "dumb"
    >> >journalists could figure what ails HP, then it was not long before the

    >> rest of
    >> >the street would figure it out, too. Question is why the HP board took

    >so
    >> long
    >> >to get it?
    >> >
    >> >So what does Carly do next?

    >> Who cares what happens to her? You should be caring about
    >> the computing infrastructure she decimated. HP isn't going
    >> to get those people back nor be able to restart the processes
    >> that had to be in place to do real development work and ships.
    >>
    >> _That's_ what you should be caring about. Getting rid
    >> of Carlybaby is only the first step. Undoing all the
    >> damage she did, especially pissing off all HP workers,
    >> is going to take some mighty strong decisions.
    >>

    >I think its worse than that. The big problem is the whole place is run by
    >accountants (==Bean Counters), who don't understand the bigger ball game.
    >For example they close the small order system for the last month of the
    >financial year so no one can order anything. This is done "to improve the
    >figures". How that squares with BS5750 certification I don't know. I can't
    >see many ex employees who have other work going back only to be ditched
    >again by the next CEO. As usual when you put pleasing the stockmarket ahead
    >of the customers, the wheels start to fall off the pram.
    >
    >> /BAH
    >>
    >> Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.

  9. Re: Articles: HP looks beyond Fiorina

    > Frankly, I'm not sure what I would have done in Carly's place rather than

    pursue
    > Compaq.

    Depends where you want to take the business. I think buying COMPAQ was
    really intended to take out a competitor. If you are going to do that you
    had better be able to rationalize quickly. I guess with a business the size
    of HP that is/was not easy.

    > Of course, the last four years have blurred my memory as to what the
    > possible options might have been.

    Not sure what the options were. Not a lot of other players to buy , and
    growing by yourself can be slow and painfull.

    > But the Compaq deal was just plain stupid. I
    > thought so back then, and time has vindicated the opinion I shared with

    many
    > others... Ben Myers

+ Reply to Thread