Adaptec 2940UW PCI board with DEC BIOS - DEC

This is a discussion on Adaptec 2940UW PCI board with DEC BIOS - DEC ; Hi, SO I got this card which seems to work ok but is having trouble in the PeeCee I have it in. I went to Adaptec's website and they say "Get the BIOS update from the OEM. They also said ...

  1. Adaptec 2940UW PCI board with DEC BIOS

    Hi,

    SO I got this card which seems to work ok but is having trouble in the
    PeeCee I have it in. I went to Adaptec's website and they say "Get the
    BIOS update from the OEM. They also said that they made a version of
    this card for the Alpha but did not get into specifics. I did find one
    update at the HP website but it does not seem to directly say it is an
    update for this particular DEC OEM card. So I was going to try to flash
    the update anyway and then I thought perhaps there would be some
    interest here in the card? Is there any? Should I Ebay it for you
    guys/gals? It has both the internal narrow and wide connectors and an
    external wide. The current BIOS rev is: 1.23 Numbers on the chip are
    2940UW/Digital-1 1635200-01 B Date Code: 9701 Card SN: BF0B6520DLH
    I'll put a picture up if there is interest.
    Thanks
    Kurt

  2. Re: Adaptec 2940UW PCI board with DEC BIOS

    Kurt,

    What sort of "trouble" is the card having?

    If the 2940UW is old enough to have an EEPROM BIOS rather than a more modern
    flash BIOS, you won't be able to update its BIOS. If the card does have a flash
    BIOS chip, you may have to do something to defeat the usual cross-checking done
    by a BIOS update program to ensure that the right flash update is used with the
    right hardware. After all, what you have there is a DEC-specific OEM BIOS,
    which varies little from the standard Adaptec BIOS.

    AFAIK, the Adaptec SCSI host adapters used in the Alpha were not terribly
    special. DEC insisted that the cards all be manufactured to the same revision
    level and BIOS level to maintain strict configuration control for known working
    sets of hardware.

    These cards sell for $10 to $15 on eBay, but they are handy for controlling a
    set of narrow or wide SCSI devices... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 10:37:49 -0500, "K. Marden"
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >SO I got this card which seems to work ok but is having trouble in the
    >PeeCee I have it in. I went to Adaptec's website and they say "Get the
    >BIOS update from the OEM. They also said that they made a version of
    >this card for the Alpha but did not get into specifics. I did find one
    >update at the HP website but it does not seem to directly say it is an
    >update for this particular DEC OEM card. So I was going to try to flash
    >the update anyway and then I thought perhaps there would be some
    >interest here in the card? Is there any? Should I Ebay it for you
    >guys/gals? It has both the internal narrow and wide connectors and an
    >external wide. The current BIOS rev is: 1.23 Numbers on the chip are
    >2940UW/Digital-1 1635200-01 B Date Code: 9701 Card SN: BF0B6520DLH
    >I'll put a picture up if there is interest.
    >Thanks
    >Kurt

  3. Re: Adaptec 2940UW PCI board with DEC BIOS

    Ben Myers wrote:

    > AFAIK, the Adaptec SCSI host adapters used in the Alpha were not terribly
    > special. DEC insisted that the cards all be manufactured to the same revision
    > level and BIOS level to maintain strict configuration control for known working
    > sets of hardware.

    Probably more-or-less the same BIOS level, but compiled for another CPU
    and Architecture.

    If this is a BIOS for Alpha CPU's then it won't run in x86-based
    machines. Evidently.

    But if the controller passes through the x86-board POST, then it
    probably will work, with drivers that ignore BIOSes, but won't boot.

    --
    Alex.

  4. Re: Adaptec 2940UW PCI board with DEC BIOS

    I seem to recall somewhat dimly that Alphas used a subset of EISA and PCI boards
    manufactured with an Intel BIOS. The Adaptec 1740 is/was one example. Which
    subset depends on the model of Alpha, which has the necessary smarts to execute
    the Intel x86 BIOS code interpretively. Someone better versed in Alpha hardware
    can probably explain this more clearly than I.

    I seem to recall that the DEC OEM BIOS on the 2940, 2940W or 2940UW is Intel x86
    code... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 19:28:53 +0100, Alex van Denzel
    wrote:

    >Ben Myers wrote:
    >
    >> AFAIK, the Adaptec SCSI host adapters used in the Alpha were not terribly
    >> special. DEC insisted that the cards all be manufactured to the same revision
    >> level and BIOS level to maintain strict configuration control for known working
    >> sets of hardware.

    >Probably more-or-less the same BIOS level, but compiled for another CPU
    >and Architecture.
    >
    >If this is a BIOS for Alpha CPU's then it won't run in x86-based
    >machines. Evidently.
    >
    >But if the controller passes through the x86-board POST, then it
    >probably will work, with drivers that ignore BIOSes, but won't boot.
    >
    >--
    >Alex.

  5. Re: Adaptec 2940UW PCI board with DEC BIOS

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > I seem to recall that the DEC OEM BIOS on the 2940, 2940W or 2940UW is Intel x86
    > code...

    It's possible of course that, on the typical Alpha, the Adaptec BIOS is
    ignored, because Adaptec support is built-in in SRM (or ARC, or AlphaBIOS).

    --
    Alex

+ Reply to Thread