disposition of largest private DEC collection in USA - DEC

This is a discussion on disposition of largest private DEC collection in USA - DEC ; %%%%%%%%%%% OPCOM, %%%%%%%%%%% Device DEC$MUSEUM: DFWCUG_HCPS has been dismounted. Normally would not post for sale but this is special. http://www.montagar.com/~patj/hcsale/index.html Serious inquiries only please. Replies to this message will not be received. Contact info is at the URL. BR, OPCOM...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 70

  1. disposition of largest private DEC collection in USA

    %%%%%%%%%%% OPCOM, <21-JAN-2005 22:21:50.00> %%%%%%%%%%%
    Device DEC$MUSEUM: DFWCUG_HCPS has been dismounted.

    Normally would not post for sale but this is special.

    http://www.montagar.com/~patj/hcsale/index.html

    Serious inquiries only please.
    Replies to this message will not be received.
    Contact info is at the URL.

    BR,
    OPCOM

  2. Re: disposition of largest private DEC collection in USA

    patrick jankowiak wrote:
    > %%%%%%%%%%% OPCOM, <21-JAN-2005 22:21:50.00> %%%%%%%%%%%
    > Device DEC$MUSEUM: DFWCUG_HCPS has been dismounted.
    >
    > Normally would not post for sale but this is special.
    >
    > http://www.montagar.com/~patj/hcsale/index.html
    >
    > Serious inquiries only please.
    > Replies to this message will not be received.
    > Contact info is at the URL.
    >
    > BR,
    > OPCOM

    I've always wanted a PDP-8 like the one I learned on (perhaps it was
    an 8/e), but I doubt there are many people other than scrap dealers
    who are in a position to take all that as one lot. Which means it'll
    probably end up being destroyed -- a real shame, IMHO.

  3. Re: disposition of largest private DEC collection in USA

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, CJT wrote:
    > I've always wanted a PDP-8 like the one I learned on (perhaps it was
    > an 8/e), but I doubt there are many people other than scrap dealers
    > who are in a position to take all that as one lot. Which means it'll
    > probably end up being destroyed -- a real shame, IMHO.

    I have to agree -- unless a museum is interested in the entire collection,
    it would be better to break it up. There are pieces that collectors would
    find quite desirable, but taking the entire lot is more than most can bite
    off.

    -- Mark --

    http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

  4. Re: disposition of largest private DEC collection in USA

    patrick jankowiak wrote:

    > %%%%%%%%%%% OPCOM, <21-JAN-2005 22:21:50.00> %%%%%%%%%%%
    > Device DEC$MUSEUM: DFWCUG_HCPS has been dismounted.
    >
    > Normally would not post for sale but this is special.
    >
    > http://www.montagar.com/~patj/hcsale/index.html
    >
    > Serious inquiries only please.
    > Replies to this message will not be received.
    > Contact info is at the URL.
    >
    > BR,
    > OPCOM

    Have you contacted the computer museum community? Although many
    rely on donations, by such a collection, they might even try to
    find a sponsor (or sponsors) to acquire the collection for them.

    History of computing organizations
    http://vmoc.museophile.org/#orgs

    Computer History Association of California (CHAC)
    http://www.chac.org/chac/

    Computer History Museum
    http://www.computerhistory.org/

    Computer Museum of America
    http://www.computer-museum.org/

    American Computer Museum
    http://www.compustory.com/

    University of Virginia Computer Science: Computer Museum
    http://www.cs.virginia.edu/brochure/museum.html

    University of Amsterdam Computer Museum
    http://www.science.uva.nl/faculteit/museum/

    Blinkenlights Archaeological Institute
    http://www.blinkenlights.com/

    VintageTech
    http://www.vintagetech.com/

    ClassicCmp
    http://www.classiccmp.org/

    Deutsches Museum, München
    http://www.weller.to/mus/mus_dm.htm

    HNF - Heinz Nixdorf MuseumsForum
    http://www.hnf.de/

    MoS | Museum of Science, Boston
    http://www.tcm.org/

    The Retro-Computing Society of RI, Inc.
    http://www.osfn.org/rcs/

    Science Museum - London
    http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/

    The Jefferson Computer Museum
    http://www.threedee.com/jcm/

    Cheers!

    Keith Cayemberg

  5. Re: disposition of largest private DEC collection in USA

    In article , patrick jankowiak writes:
    >%%%%%%%%%%% OPCOM, <21-JAN-2005 22:21:50.00> %%%%%%%%%%%
    >Device DEC$MUSEUM: DFWCUG_HCPS has been dismounted.
    >
    >Normally would not post for sale but this is special.
    >
    >http://www.montagar.com/~patj/hcsale/index.html
    >
    >Serious inquiries only please.
    >Replies to this message will not be received.
    >Contact info is at the URL.
    >
    >BR,
    >OPCOM

    Could I pay you to ship me DECtalk rack back?

    --
    http://www.ProvN.com for the *best* OpenVMS system security
    solutions that others only claim to be.

  6. Re: disposition of largest private DEC collection in USA

    On 2005-01-22 12:23, "Keith Cayemberg" wrote:

    > Have you contacted the computer museum community? Although many
    > rely on donations, by such a collection, they might even try to
    > find a sponsor (or sponsors) to acquire the collection for them.
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > Deutsches Museum, München
    > http://www.weller.to/mus/mus_dm.htm

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    > [...]

    Where did you see _that_ URL?? They ("Deutsches Museum") are of course
    running their own web server ...

    Michael

    --
    Real names enhance the probability of getting real answers.
    My e-mail account at DECUS Munich is no longer valid.

  7. Re: disposition of largest private DEC collection in USA

    In article <41f237b0$0$821$9b4e6d93@newsread2.arcor-online.net>,
    Keith Cayemberg writes:

    > MoS | Museum of Science, Boston
    > http://www.tcm.org/

    Isn't this the place that trashed all their real computer stuff
    including stuff that had been donated by people like Dennis
    Ritchie? I sure didn't see anything vintage computer related
    on thier website.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  8. Re: disposition of largest private DEC collection in USA

    Michael Unger wrote:
    > On 2005-01-22 12:23, "Keith Cayemberg" wrote:
    >

    >>Have you contacted the computer museum community? Although many
    >>rely on donations, by such a collection, they might even try to
    >>find a sponsor (or sponsors) to acquire the collection for them.
    >>
    >>[...]
    >>
    >>Deutsches Museum, München
    >>http://www.weller.to/mus/mus_dm.htm

    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >
    >>[...]

    > Where did you see _that_ URL?? They ("Deutsches Museum") are of course
    > running their own web server ...
    >

    > Michael

    OOPS!

    K.C.

  9. Re: disposition of largest private DEC collection in USA

    Bill Gunshannon wrote:

    > In article <41f237b0$0$821$9b4e6d93@newsread2.arcor-online.net>,
    > Keith Cayemberg writes:
    >

    >>MoS | Museum of Science, Boston
    >>http://www.tcm.org/
    >>

    > Isn't this the place that trashed all their real computer stuff
    > including stuff that had been donated by people like Dennis
    > Ritchie? I sure didn't see anything vintage computer related
    > on thier website.
    >
    > bill

    Could be. That is maybe why they are no longer call themselves "The
    Computer Museum" (TCM). Then it is good that such proposals are
    discussed in a forum.

    Thanks Bill.

    Cheer!

    Keith Cayemberg

  10. Re: disposition of largest private DEC collection in USA

    In article <41f284c5$0$812$9b4e6d93@newsread2.arcor-online.net>,
    Keith Cayemberg writes:
    > Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    >
    >> In article <41f237b0$0$821$9b4e6d93@newsread2.arcor-online.net>,
    >> Keith Cayemberg writes:
    >>

    >>>MoS | Museum of Science, Boston
    >>>http://www.tcm.org/
    >>>

    >> Isn't this the place that trashed all their real computer stuff
    >> including stuff that had been donated by people like Dennis
    >> Ritchie? I sure didn't see anything vintage computer related
    >> on thier website.
    >>
    >> bill
    >>

    > Could be. That is maybe why they are no longer call themselves "The
    > Computer Museum" (TCM). Then it is good that such proposals are
    > discussed in a forum.
    >
    > Thanks Bill.

    I have wanted to start a computer museum here at the University
    for a long time. I figured if I could get commitments from a
    few corporations for operating funds I could probably convince
    the University to give me the necessary space. But I really
    don't know how to go about finding corporate sponsers. :-(
    My idea is to have a real hands on facility where people can
    come in and actually play with the equipment. I would also
    make as much of it as I could available on the INTERNET with
    guest accounts. But, I'm probably just dreaming again.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  11. Re: disposition of largest private DEC collection in USA

    Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    > In article <41f284c5$0$812$9b4e6d93@newsread2.arcor-online.net>,
    > Keith Cayemberg writes:
    >> Bill Gunshannon wrote:

    >>> Isn't this the place that trashed all their real computer stuff
    >>> including stuff that had been donated by people like Dennis
    >>> Ritchie? I sure didn't see anything vintage computer related
    >>> on thier website.
    >>>
    >>> bill
    >>>

    >> Could be. That is maybe why they are no longer call themselves "The
    >> Computer Museum" (TCM). Then it is good that such proposals are
    >> discussed in a forum.
    >>
    >> Thanks Bill.
    >>

    > I have wanted to start a computer museum here at the University
    > for a long time. I figured if I could get commitments from a
    > few corporations for operating funds I could probably convince
    > the University to give me the necessary space. But I really
    > don't know how to go about finding corporate sponsers. :-(
    > My idea is to have a real hands on facility where people can
    > come in and actually play with the equipment. I would also
    > make as much of it as I could available on the INTERNET with
    > guest accounts. But, I'm probably just dreaming again.

    The Smithsonian ought to be interested in something like this.

  12. Re: disposition of largest private DEC collection in USA

    VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > In article , patrick jankowiak writes:
    >
    >>%%%%%%%%%%% OPCOM, <21-JAN-2005 22:21:50.00> %%%%%%%%%%%
    >>Device DEC$MUSEUM: DFWCUG_HCPS has been dismounted.
    >>
    >>Normally would not post for sale but this is special.
    >>
    >>http://www.montagar.com/~patj/hcsale/index.html
    >>
    >>Serious inquiries only please.
    >>Replies to this message will not be received.
    >>Contact info is at the URL.
    >>
    >>BR,
    >>OPCOM

    > Could I pay you to ship me DECtalk rack back?

    Yes. Please send your receiving information to the e-mail
    address shown at:
    http://www.montagar.com/~patj/hcsale/index.html

    Anyone who has donated something is welcome to ask it back.
    It is only fair and there is no issue.

    I may not be able to reliably monitor these newsgroups
    and therefore not receive messages from them or reply
    in an efficient manner, so anyone wishing to contact
    me for any reason, to ask something back, say hello,
    whatever, should use the contact info on the web page at:

    http://www.montagar.com/~patj/hcsale/index.html

    I would also like to say that if anyone within the DEC
    community has a better idea of how to handle and preserve this
    collection I am open to suggestions. I would prefer it,
    as would have John Wisniewski and the other principals,
    to be shown in a museum. It was our intent.
    No course of action is set in stone.

    BR,
    Opcom / Patrick Jankowiak

  13. Re: disposition of largest private DEC collection in USA

    Nothing sacred will be scrapped.

    OPCOM

    CJT wrote:

    > patrick jankowiak wrote:
    >
    >> %%%%%%%%%%% OPCOM, <21-JAN-2005 22:21:50.00> %%%%%%%%%%%
    >> Device DEC$MUSEUM: DFWCUG_HCPS has been dismounted.
    >>
    >> Normally would not post for sale but this is special.
    >>
    >> http://www.montagar.com/~patj/hcsale/index.html
    >>
    >> Serious inquiries only please.
    >> Replies to this message will not be received.
    >> Contact info is at the URL.
    >>
    >> BR,
    >> OPCOM

    > I've always wanted a PDP-8 like the one I learned on (perhaps it was
    > an 8/e), but I doubt there are many people other than scrap dealers
    > who are in a position to take all that as one lot. Which means it'll
    > probably end up being destroyed -- a real shame, IMHO.

  14. Re: disposition of largest private DEC collection in USA

    I have not contacted all of those, I will try to contact them.

    Thanks,
    OPCOM

    Keith Cayemberg wrote:

    > patrick jankowiak wrote:
    >
    >> %%%%%%%%%%% OPCOM, <21-JAN-2005 22:21:50.00> %%%%%%%%%%%
    >> Device DEC$MUSEUM: DFWCUG_HCPS has been dismounted.
    >>
    >> Normally would not post for sale but this is special.
    >>
    >> http://www.montagar.com/~patj/hcsale/index.html
    >>
    >> Serious inquiries only please.
    >> Replies to this message will not be received.
    >> Contact info is at the URL.
    >>
    >> BR,
    >> OPCOM

    > Have you contacted the computer museum community? Although many
    > rely on donations, by such a collection, they might even try to
    > find a sponsor (or sponsors) to acquire the collection for them.
    >

    > History of computing organizations
    > http://vmoc.museophile.org/#orgs
    >
    > Computer History Association of California (CHAC)
    > http://www.chac.org/chac/
    >
    > Computer History Museum
    > http://www.computerhistory.org/
    >
    > Computer Museum of America
    > http://www.computer-museum.org/
    >
    > American Computer Museum
    > http://www.compustory.com/
    >
    > University of Virginia Computer Science: Computer Museum
    > http://www.cs.virginia.edu/brochure/museum.html
    >
    > University of Amsterdam Computer Museum
    > http://www.science.uva.nl/faculteit/museum/
    >
    > Blinkenlights Archaeological Institute
    > http://www.blinkenlights.com/
    >
    > VintageTech
    > http://www.vintagetech.com/
    >
    > ClassicCmp
    > http://www.classiccmp.org/
    >
    > Deutsches Museum, München
    > http://www.weller.to/mus/mus_dm.htm
    >
    > HNF - Heinz Nixdorf MuseumsForum
    > http://www.hnf.de/
    >
    > MoS | Museum of Science, Boston
    > http://www.tcm.org/
    >
    > The Retro-Computing Society of RI, Inc.
    > http://www.osfn.org/rcs/
    >
    > Science Museum - London
    > http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/
    >
    > The Jefferson Computer Museum
    > http://www.threedee.com/jcm/
    >

    > Cheers!
    >
    > Keith Cayemberg

  15. Re: disposition of largest private DEC collection in USA

    Thanks for the update.
    Is nothing sacred?

    OPCOM

    Keith Cayemberg wrote:

    > Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    >
    >> In article <41f237b0$0$821$9b4e6d93@newsread2.arcor-online.net>,
    >> Keith Cayemberg writes:
    >>

    >>> MoS | Museum of Science, Boston
    >>> http://www.tcm.org/
    >>>

    >> Isn't this the place that trashed all their real computer stuff
    >> including stuff that had been donated by people like Dennis
    >> Ritchie? I sure didn't see anything vintage computer related
    >> on thier website.
    >>
    >> bill
    >>

    > Could be. That is maybe why they are no longer call themselves "The
    > Computer Museum" (TCM). Then it is good that such proposals are
    > discussed in a forum.
    >
    > Thanks Bill.
    >
    > Cheer!
    >
    > Keith Cayemberg

  16. Re: disposition of largest private DEC collection in USA

    Bill Gunshannon wrote:

    > In article <41f284c5$0$812$9b4e6d93@newsread2.arcor-online.net>,
    > Keith Cayemberg writes:
    >
    >>Bill Gunshannon wrote:

    >>>Isn't this the place that trashed all their real computer stuff
    >>>including stuff that had been donated by people like Dennis
    >>>Ritchie? I sure didn't see anything vintage computer related
    >>>on thier website.
    >>>
    >>>bill
    >>>

    >>Could be. That is maybe why they are no longer call themselves "The
    >>Computer Museum" (TCM). Then it is good that such proposals are
    >>discussed in a forum.
    >>
    >>Thanks Bill.
    >>

    > I have wanted to start a computer museum here at the University
    > for a long time. I figured if I could get commitments from a
    > few corporations for operating funds I could probably convince
    > the University to give me the necessary space. But I really
    > don't know how to go about finding corporate sponsers. :-(
    > My idea is to have a real hands on facility where people can
    > come in and actually play with the equipment. I would also
    > make as much of it as I could available on the INTERNET with
    > guest accounts. But, I'm probably just dreaming again.
    >
    > bill

    I have some experience with such entities. Unless permanent space
    is allocated, items are often eventually disposed of
    unceremoniously and in an ugly manner. I witnessed this at the
    "texas broadcast museum". The volunteers were suddenly locked
    out, and the BOD privately sold off many assets to line their
    own pockets, and the stuff that was too big to sell was trashed
    (including the Voice of America broadcasting console and an
    ancient 5000 watt RCA AM transmitter) and the place now converted
    to guided tours hands-off, beginning and ending in the gift shop
    which had been the tech lab where exhibits were serviced.. May
    the BOD rot for that disgrace.

    I am not saying that's what would happen, but I am concerned for
    the future of our historical charges and the legacy they bespeak.

    http://www.montagar.com/~patj/hcsale/index.html

    OPCOM

  17. Re: disposition of largest private DEC collection in USA

    John Smith wrote:

    > Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    >
    >>In article <41f284c5$0$812$9b4e6d93@newsread2.arcor-online.net>,
    >>Keith Cayemberg writes:

    >>>Could be. That is maybe why they are no longer call themselves "The
    >>>Computer Museum" (TCM). Then it is good that such proposals are
    >>>discussed in a forum.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks Bill.
    >>>

    >>I have wanted to start a computer museum here at the University
    >>for a long time. I figured if I could get commitments from a
    >>few corporations for operating funds I could probably convince
    >>the University to give me the necessary space. But I really
    >>don't know how to go about finding corporate sponsers. :-(
    >>My idea is to have a real hands on facility where people can
    >>come in and actually play with the equipment. I would also
    >>make as much of it as I could available on the INTERNET with
    >>guest accounts. But, I'm probably just dreaming again.

    > The Smithsonian ought to be interested in something like this.

    I just shot them an e-mail.

    Patrick

  18. Re: disposition of largest private DEC collection in USA

    Bill Gunshannon wrote:

    > I have wanted to start a computer museum here at the University
    > for a long time. I figured if I could get commitments from a
    > few corporations for operating funds I could probably convince
    > the University to give me the necessary space. But I really
    > don't know how to go about finding corporate sponsers. :-(
    > My idea is to have a real hands on facility where people can
    > come in and actually play with the equipment. I would also
    > make as much of it as I could available on the INTERNET with
    > guest accounts. But, I'm probably just dreaming again.
    >
    > bill

    Bill,

    I wish we could do this. There's a hell of a datacenter here just waiting to be unzipped. It's what we wanted.. (makes me want to listen to "all we ever wanted" by Bauhaus) Man I am trying to keep a good mindset but this step is
    getting me down. It has to be done though.

    OPCOM

  19. Re: disposition of largest private DEC collection in USA

    May I ask those interested in this discussion
    to make sure to CC or post comments relating
    to this thread to the comp.os.vms newsgroup?

    I do not mean to impose, but as the point of
    contact for the collection, I do want to
    read every comment because I value all of
    the opinions of the DEC community, and I
    have limited access to the groups.

    I think comp.os.vms is the most widely
    available (If I am wrong please correct me,
    it's been a log time since I have done news).

    Patrick J.

    patrick jankowiak wrote:

    > %%%%%%%%%%% OPCOM, <21-JAN-2005 22:21:50.00> %%%%%%%%%%%
    > Device DEC$MUSEUM: DFWCUG_HCPS has been dismounted.
    >
    > Normally would not post for sale but this is special.
    >
    > http://www.montagar.com/~patj/hcsale/index.html
    >
    > Serious inquiries only please.
    > Replies to this message will not be received.
    > Contact info is at the URL.
    >
    > BR,
    > OPCOM

  20. Re: disposition of largest private DEC collection in USA

    patrick jankowiak wrote:
    > Nothing sacred will be scrapped.

    I'm glad to hear that.

    I don't know the best way to do it, but perhaps selling a fraction
    of the items could fund placement of the rest in a suitable facility
    at a university or similar institution.