VAX 6000-420 Available - DEC

This is a discussion on VAX 6000-420 Available - DEC ; Hello, world. Used to post here in another life when I was more actively collecting DEC equipment. Thought this would be a good place to start with this: I have a VAX 6000-420 with SF200 rack available for pick-up in ...

  1. VAX 6000-420 Available

    Hello, world. Used to post here in another life when I was more
    actively collecting DEC equipment. Thought this would be a good place
    to start with this:

    I have a VAX 6000-420 with SF200 rack available for pick-up in Rhome,
    Texas (20-some miles north of Fort Worth). Acquired it a few years back
    and haven't done anything with it, so I figure I should pass it on to
    someone who has an interest in it.

    The system is in decent physical shape, some of the metal inside the
    SF200 rack has been bent a little, and if I remember correctly, one or
    two of the fingers in one of the card cages is broken. It has been
    stored in my father's house for the last couple of years.

    I have never powered it on, so I cannot tell you if it is in working
    condition or not. If anyone is interested, I can post pictures to my
    personal website.

    I would like to get rid of it, and I am sure my father would as well!
    There is no immediate hurry, however the sooner the better, I suppose.

    As for what I want for it, I'm not picky. DEC (especially PDP-11)
    stuff, SGI or Sun (especially SGI) equipment, or any old/odd/obscure
    workstation type equipment would be very nice. Older SGI IRIS stuff is
    high on my wish list, and my brother has been desperately searching for
    a PERQ workstation as of late. Also, if anyone has an original Iris
    Indigo keyboard and mouse, or drive bay door...

    Anyway, if anyone is interested at all, email me personally and we can
    work something out.

    Thanks,

    --
    Owen Robertson

  2. Re: VAX 6000-420 Available

    In article <10uqj1f75s7ab40@corp.supernews.com>,
    "Scott Miller" writes:
    > And if you're interested in starting a vintage data center, I've got a VAX
    > 6000-510 and SA860 available for pickup in Santa Maria, CA (1 hour north of
    > Santa Barbara).
    >
    > It is nice to know that I'm not the only one out there with a VAX 6000 at
    > home. =]

    So do I, and no, it's not available. :-)

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  3. Re: VAX 6000-420 Available

    How do you power your 6000 series at home? I have one at home in my garage,
    but have yet to power it up. I have read online that you can use the dryer
    outlet if you convert the 3 phase plug, but have yet to hear from someone
    who has actually done this conversion. Just curious...

    JaYmZ

    "Bill Gunshannon" wrote in message
    > In article <10uqj1f75s7ab40@corp.supernews.com>,
    > "Scott Miller" writes:
    > > And if you're interested in starting a vintage data center, I've got a

    VAX
    > > 6000-510 and SA860 available for pickup in Santa Maria, CA (1 hour north

    of
    > > Santa Barbara).
    > >
    > > It is nice to know that I'm not the only one out there with a VAX 6000

    at
    > > home. =]
    > >

    > So do I, and no, it's not available. :-)
    >
    > bill
    >
    > --
    > Bill Gunshannon | de-moc-ra-cy (di mok' ra see) n. Three wolves
    > bill@cs.scranton.edu | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    > University of Scranton |
    > Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  4. Re: VAX 6000-420 Available

    In article <%RuHd.5$ML4.224@news-west.eli.net>,
    "James T. Sprinkle" writes:
    > How do you power your 6000 series at home? I have one at home in my garage,
    > but have yet to power it up. I have read online that you can use the dryer
    > outlet if you convert the 3 phase plug, but have yet to hear from someone
    > who has actually done this conversion. Just curious...

    Hmmmm..... Maybe the maschine I am thinking of isn't a 6000. I have
    quite a few and they are not all in use. I just seem to remember it
    as a 6000 but all it took to run it was a big 110v circuit, like an
    air conditioner, with a funny plug where the two pins are perpendicular
    rather than paralel.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  5. Re: VAX 6000-420 Available

    "James T. Sprinkle" wrote:

    > How do you power your 6000 series at home? I have one at home in my garage,
    > but have yet to power it up. I have read online that you can use the dryer
    > outlet if you convert the 3 phase plug, but have yet to hear from someone
    > who has actually done this conversion. Just curious...

    Try Googling the comp.os.vms group. There was a recent thread about it
    before the holidays.

    The short version seems to be that you can rewire things such that Lx,
    Ly and Lz all feed from the same L1 and L2 coming from the 220V circuit
    - the machine does not actually require three-phase, but get the details
    from the OP. It's not just that simple.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    Coming soon:
    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page

  6. Re: VAX 6000-420 Available

    Yeah, that thread was mine. I asked there before I discovered this group.

    JaYmZ

    "David J Dachtera" wrote in message
    > "James T. Sprinkle" wrote:
    > >
    > > How do you power your 6000 series at home? I have one at home in my

    garage,
    > > but have yet to power it up. I have read online that you can use the

    dryer
    > > outlet if you convert the 3 phase plug, but have yet to hear from

    someone
    > > who has actually done this conversion. Just curious...

    > Try Googling the comp.os.vms group. There was a recent thread about it
    > before the holidays.
    >
    > The short version seems to be that you can rewire things such that Lx,
    > Ly and Lz all feed from the same L1 and L2 coming from the 220V circuit
    > - the machine does not actually require three-phase, but get the details
    > from the OP. It's not just that simple.
    >
    > --
    > David J Dachtera
    > dba DJE Systems
    > http://www.djesys.com/
    >
    > Unofficial OpenVMS Hobbyist Support Page:
    > http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/
    >
    > Unofficial Affordable OpenVMS Home Page:
    > http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/
    >
    > Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    > http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/
    >
    > Coming soon:
    > Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page

  7. Re: VAX 6000-420 Available

    "James T. Sprinkle" wrote:

    > Yeah, that thread was mine. I asked there before I discovered this group.

    There have been past threads as well.

    Go looking around the dfwcug.org website, the openvmshobbyist.org
    website and/or the montager.com website. Also try vmsone.com.

    Look for any info. from/about a fellow named Pat Jankowiak. He's an
    electrical engineer, I believe. He should have some info that may help.
    He goes by the handle of "Opcom".

    Hope this helps...

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems
    http://www.djesys.com/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    Coming soon:
    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page

  8. Re: VAX 6000-420 Available

    From a schematic I found somewhere,

    you can take one of the 3-phase lines and connect it to one side
    of 240V, and another one, and connect it to the other side of
    240V. However, this may not do exactly as the 3 phase has 208V
    between phases. Therefore you need to get rid of 32 VAC. A large
    transformer producing 28-32 volts AC at 30 amps can be used to
    'buck' the 240V down to 208 or so.

    The AC input to the VAX goes into a filter, then into a full
    wave 3-phase bridge rectifier made of 3 diodes on one side
    of the line and 3 SCRs on the other side. These regulate the
    voltage to the main filter capacitor bank. The unit wants
    about +/- 150V there. (those with the optional battery know
    about the 150V DC). I tried without success to get the
    schematic from DEC, it seems the power units were foreign
    made and by contract and not intended to be hacked or repaired,
    so the documents are probably lost.

    Naughty switching power supply make computer go BOOM! so be careful.

    Patrick, er.. OPCOM

    David J Dachtera wrote:

    > "James T. Sprinkle" wrote:
    >
    >>Yeah, that thread was mine. I asked there before I discovered this group.
    >>

    > There have been past threads as well.
    >
    > Go looking around the dfwcug.org website, the openvmshobbyist.org
    > website and/or the montager.com website. Also try vmsone.com.
    >
    > Look for any info. from/about a fellow named Pat Jankowiak. He's an
    > electrical engineer, I believe. He should have some info that may help.
    > He goes by the handle of "Opcom".
    >
    > Hope this helps...

+ Reply to Thread