Avanti: ISA IDE and SRM - DEC

This is a discussion on Avanti: ISA IDE and SRM - DEC ; G'day I'd like to add an ISA IDE card and drive to my Avanti to take advantage of a bit of cheap storage, however when I try to tell SRM about the card I get either "Table Full" from ISACFG ...

  1. Avanti: ISA IDE and SRM

    G'day
    I'd like to add an ISA IDE card and drive to my Avanti to take advantage
    of a bit of cheap storage, however when I try to tell SRM about the card
    I get either "Table Full" from ISACFG or "Not a Valid Key" from ICONFIG.

    I can't find a list of valid ISA device names for SRM so I'm using IDE.

    The machine is configured with a TGA card and two network cards in the
    PCI slots, and a sound card which shows up on ICONFIG, not on ISACFG and
    doesn't seem to be recognised by Linux (RH7.2) in the ISA slots, leaving
    2ish free. If it comes to a choice between sound and ide I'll choose ide...

    There's nothing extra in the ISA confifg table apart from the slot 0
    motherboard devices so I can't see why the config table should be full.

    Any (ide)as gratefully accepted.
    JM

  2. Re: Avanti: ISA IDE and SRM

    Moores family writes in article dated Tue, 18 Jan 2005 06:00:22 GMT:
    >I'd like to add an ISA IDE card and drive to my Avanti to take advantage
    >of a bit of cheap storage, however when I try to tell SRM about the card
    >I get either "Table Full" from ISACFG or "Not a Valid Key" from ICONFIG.

    Avanti = Alphaserver 2100A, right?

    AFAIK, OpenVMS and Dunix never supported IDE drives on that machine, so
    there would be no need for SRM to support them.

    >I can't find a list of valid ISA device names for SRM so I'm using IDE.

    Normally the 4 potential ISA devices show up as DQA0-DQB1. (For example, in
    a PWS 500au which has 2 ISA interfaces on the mobo.)

    >The machine is configured with a TGA card and two network cards in the
    >PCI slots, and a sound card which shows up on ICONFIG, not on ISACFG and
    >doesn't seem to be recognised by Linux (RH7.2) in the ISA slots, leaving
    >2ish free. If it comes to a choice between sound and ide I'll choose ide...
    >
    >There's nothing extra in the ISA confifg table apart from the slot 0
    >motherboard devices so I can't see why the config table should be full.

    Ahh, Linux. Can it boot from ARC? I don't know if ARC supports IDE devices
    on the 2100A, but it's more likely than SRM.

    --Keith Lewis klewis {at} mitre.org
    The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

  3. Re: Avanti: ISA IDE and SRM

    klewis@OMEGA.MITRE.ORG (Keith A. Lewis) writes:
    > Moores family writes
    >>I'd like to add an ISA IDE card and drive to my Avanti to take advantage
    >>of a bit of cheap storage, however when I try to tell SRM about the card
    >>I get either "Table Full" from ISACFG or "Not a Valid Key" from ICONFIG.

    > Avanti = Alphaserver 2100A, right?

    No, Avanti is the Alphastation 400; shares some lineage to the Mustang
    (Alphastation 200).

    I'm quite certain that IDE was never supported on the Avanti, and I'd be
    shocked if the firmware would recognize an IDE board.

    --

    Rob Brooks VMS Engineering -- I/O Exec Group brooks!cuebid.zko.dec.com

  4. Re: Avanti: ISA IDE and SRM

    Rob Brooks wrote:
    > klewis@OMEGA.MITRE.ORG (Keith A. Lewis) writes:
    >
    >>Moores family writes
    >>
    >>>I'd like to add an ISA IDE card and drive to my Avanti to take advantage
    >>>of a bit of cheap storage, however when I try to tell SRM about the card
    >>>I get either "Table Full" from ISACFG or "Not a Valid Key" from ICONFIG.

    >>Avanti = Alphaserver 2100A, right?

    > No, Avanti is the Alphastation 400; shares some lineage to the Mustang
    > (Alphastation 200).
    >
    > I'm quite certain that IDE was never supported on the Avanti, and I'd be
    > shocked if the firmware would recognize an IDE board.

    Thanks for your replies.
    Yes, it's an Alphaserver 400. I'm not exactly sure of the mechanism
    required, but as I don't want to boot from the IDE storage I'm not
    concerned about SRM actually recognising the device. I'd assumed that
    the ISA config table was a method of passing ISA hardware parameters on
    to the OS. As long as the kernel can see the device it can handle it.

    Does SRM have to recognise it in order to allow access by the OS? Any
    ideas about the table full error I'm getting?
    Thanks
    JM

+ Reply to Thread