VAX 11/750 in need of a home - DEC

This is a discussion on VAX 11/750 in need of a home - DEC ; Well it's a Systime 8750 (which I believe is mainly a DEC 11/750) and it needs a new home and some TLC. I powered it up just before Christmas in a bout of nostalgia and the disks are knackered so ...

  1. VAX 11/750 in need of a home

    Well it's a Systime 8750 (which I believe is mainly a DEC 11/750) and
    it needs a new home and some TLC.

    I powered it up just before Christmas in a bout of nostalgia and the
    disks are knackered so the machine won't boot (well nothing to boot
    from). Due to numerous factors (lack of knowledge, non-existant spare
    parts, etc) I think it may serve someone else better as spare parts
    than it will me.

    >From the little I know the actual machine is operational...well I get

    the >>> prompt and the big red light of doom is not brightly light
    (just a very very dim warm glow as it should).

    It's located in the UK and far far too big to post anywhere so
    collection would be the only option....there again if no one wants it
    and you only want a board then I guess posting a single board out is an
    option.

    If you're interested and would like me to check anything on it for you
    then just ask. Best alert me through the group as the hotmail account
    is just a junk account.

    The machine is free to a good home although if you had a SCSI option
    for my VAX 4000/500 (I was hoping that would be a more reasonable
    replacement for the 11/750) I wouldn't say no ;-). However, there are
    no preconditions apart from a good home for it.

  2. Re: VAX 11/750 in need of a home

    Can you remind me what size this is? & what power requirement (3ph or
    single phase), I'm in Scotland & worked at with Dec in Ayr for 15 years
    so I'd be interested in taking it off your hands if possible, I'd be
    grateful if you could email me with system details & your location
    Thanks

    -Eric

  3. Re: VAX 11/750 in need of a home

    Hi Eric

    The machine is in snowy Scotland as well (over in Fife). However,
    there's a couple of people in the list - bit like busses I didn't think
    anyone was interested then several appear at the same time :-)

    At the moment the machine is promised to another chap who contacted me
    so unless he doesn't take it then I'll just work my way down the list -
    FIFO style - so think you would be third on the list.

    Cheers

  4. Re: VAX 11/750 in need of a home

    Oops, sorry forgot to say. It's good old single phase - actually runs
    off a single standard 13amp UK plug. Don't know if that's a peculiarity
    to the Systime power supply as opposed to a regular manly DEC power
    supply.

  5. Re: VAX 11/750 in need of a home

    greg elkin wrote:

    > On 4 Jan 2005 15:31:52 -0800, hairydamon@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    >>Well it's a Systime 8750 (which I believe is mainly a DEC 11/750) and
    >>it needs a new home and some TLC.
    >>
    >>I powered it up just before Christmas in a bout of nostalgia and the
    >>disks are knackered so the machine won't boot (well nothing to boot
    >>from). Due to numerous factors (lack of knowledge, non-existant spare
    >>parts, etc) I think it may serve someone else better as spare parts
    >>than it will me.
    >>
    >>>From the little I know the actual machine is operational...well I get

    >>the >>> prompt and the big red light of doom is not brightly light
    >>(just a very very dim warm glow as it should).
    >>
    >>It's located in the UK and far far too big to post anywhere so
    >>collection would be the only option....there again if no one wants it
    >>and you only want a board then I guess posting a single board out is an
    >>option.
    >>
    >>If you're interested and would like me to check anything on it for you
    >>then just ask. Best alert me through the group as the hotmail account
    >>is just a junk account.
    >>
    >>The machine is free to a good home although if you had a SCSI option
    >>for my VAX 4000/500 (I was hoping that would be a more reasonable
    >>replacement for the 11/750) I wouldn't say no ;-). However, there are
    >>no preconditions apart from a good home for it.

    > Where in the UK is the 11/750?
    >
    > Alas no SCSI boards here either

    I plan to make about 80 pieces of SCSI boards in about one year. I hope the
    number can satisfy every Qbus hobbist. How many of them are there that need
    a SCSI board? 80 might be an over estimation.

    vax, 9000

    > greg (in W Sussex)

  6. Re: VAX 11/750 in need of a home

    In article ,
    "vax, 9000" writes:

    > I plan to make about 80 pieces of SCSI boards in about one year. I hope the
    > number can satisfy every Qbus hobbist. How many of them are there that need
    > a SCSI board? 80 might be an over estimation.

    Unless they are too expensive, I doubt that is an over-estimation.
    I assume these will look enough like a DEC Disk controller of some
    type to be usable on the PDP-11 as well, in which case your number
    of prospective sales will go up even more. I would use a couple of
    them myself.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  7. Re: VAX 11/750 in need of a home

    Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    > In article ,
    > "vax, 9000" writes:
    >>
    >> I plan to make about 80 pieces of SCSI boards in about one year. I hope the
    >> number can satisfy every Qbus hobbist. How many of them are there that need
    >> a SCSI board? 80 might be an over estimation.
    >>

    > Unless they are too expensive, I doubt that is an over-estimation.

    You can add one to the list for me as well.

    --
    Pete Peter Turnbull
    Network Manager

+ Reply to Thread