KZPAC-XE Problem - DEC

This is a discussion on KZPAC-XE Problem - DEC ; Hi NG, I've a problem with my KZPAC-XE (3 Channel, 8MB). I always get following message on my XP900 in SRM: 'Waiting for dra0.0.0.17.0 to poll...' and I don't see the the controller after the poll timeout by typing 'show ...

  1. KZPAC-XE Problem

    Hi NG,

    I've a problem with my KZPAC-XE (3 Channel, 8MB).
    I always get following message on my XP900 in SRM:
    'Waiting for dra0.0.0.17.0 to poll...'
    and I don't see the the controller after the poll timeout
    by typing 'show device'
    I also have to wait for timeout in AlphaBios

    The following is connected:

    Channel 0 (internal): 2x 9,1 GB Disks
    Channel 1 (external): BA356 6x 9,1 GB Disks
    Channel 2: nothing connected

    Is it necessary to connect a device on every channel
    or put a terminator at the end of every channel?
    The jumpers for termination on the controller are set.

    TIA
    Reinhard

  2. Re: KZPAC-XE Problem

    Reinhard Eigner wrote:

    > I've a problem with my KZPAC-XE (3 Channel, 8MB).
    > I always get following message on my XP900 in SRM:
    > 'Waiting for dra0.0.0.17.0 to poll...'
    > and I don't see the the controller after the poll timeout
    > by typing 'show device'
    > I also have to wait for timeout in AlphaBios

    I had a similar problem with a KZPBA. It turned out
    to be a bad controller. Swapping controllers fixed it.

    Alan

  3. Re: KZPAC-XE Problem

    In article , "Reinhard Eigner" writes:

    :I've a problem with my KZPAC-XE (3 Channel, 8MB).

    I have not checked the support for the KZPAC-XE; do check for current
    SRM firmware for the AlphaStation DS10/XP900 series, and do check the
    operating system support (for whichever operating system(s) might be
    involved here) for the KZPAC-XE series controller.

    :Is it necessary to connect a device on every channel
    r put a terminator at the end of every channel?
    :The jumpers for termination on the controller are set.

    I generally prefer to explicitly and externally terminate all SCSI
    buses.

    ---------------------------- #include -----------------------------
    For additional, please see the OpenVMS FAQ -- www.hp.com/go/openvms/faq
    --------------------------- pure personal opinion ---------------------------
    Hoff (Stephen) Hoffman OpenVMS Engineering hoff[at]hp.com

  4. Re: KZPAC-XE Problem

    After I tried the controller also in an AS1000A with
    three BA356s with the same result, I think the controller
    is faulty. Now I will get a new one from HP!

    Thanks a lot!
    Reinhard

  5. Re: KZPAC-XE Problem

    Now I got an another KZPAC but now -XD (=single Channel).
    The DS10 still shows no controller by typing "show dev", but
    now there's now "polling message" anymore.
    I only can see the KZPAC when I type "show config" or "show fru"
    but not as KZPAC or Mylex. There's only a number, no characters.

    I tried to run the ra200rcu.exe in the AlphaBios.
    The program told me that it can't find any controller.

    I don't understand why it doesn't work. I got this controller
    from HP for tests with my machine(s). I plugged the controller
    into two XP900's without success.

    I also tried to run the controller in Intel machines.
    I saw an additional Mass Storage Controller in the BIOS,
    but as I tried to flash the controller's firmware, I got
    the message: "no controller found".
    I don't know if I had the right flash program, because
    I downloaded it from Mylex but there are a lot of DAC960s.
    The intel flash program is not available at HP's website.

    Any suggestions??

    TIA
    Reinhard

  6. Re: KZPAC-XE Problem

    This sounds like a firmware version problem
    What is the text on the flash chip?
    On the alpha version of the KZPAC, there should
    be two flash chip holders but only one chip installed.
    The Intel version uses two flash chips for the BIOS

    The only versions for the Alpha now are V2.49 (for older drives)
    and version 2.70 (for all disks incl 10KRPM disks)

    If you have the intel version should say something like 3.0.29 or v3.5-1

    If you need a flash chip with 2.49 or 2.70 let me know
    I can send you one
    I could also send a good controller for about $100

    Regards

    David Turner

    --
    Island Computers US Corp
    2700 Gregory St Suite 180

    --
    Island Computers US Corp
    2700 Gregory St Suite 180

    "Reinhard Eigner" wrote in message
    news:5bfbe1c6.0411140527.4ec99316@posting.google.c om...
    > Now I got an another KZPAC but now -XD (=single Channel).
    > The DS10 still shows no controller by typing "show dev", but
    > now there's now "polling message" anymore.
    > I only can see the KZPAC when I type "show config" or "show fru"
    > but not as KZPAC or Mylex. There's only a number, no characters.
    >
    > I tried to run the ra200rcu.exe in the AlphaBios.
    > The program told me that it can't find any controller.
    >
    > I don't understand why it doesn't work. I got this controller
    > from HP for tests with my machine(s). I plugged the controller
    > into two XP900's without success.
    >
    > I also tried to run the controller in Intel machines.
    > I saw an additional Mass Storage Controller in the BIOS,
    > but as I tried to flash the controller's firmware, I got
    > the message: "no controller found".
    > I don't know if I had the right flash program, because
    > I downloaded it from Mylex but there are a lot of DAC960s.
    > The intel flash program is not available at HP's website.
    >
    > Any suggestions??
    >
    > TIA
    > Reinhard

  7. Re: KZPAC-XE Problem

    "DAVID TURNER" wrote in message news:<10pitdrbrohe240@news.supernews.com>...
    > This sounds like a firmware version problem
    > What is the text on the flash chip?

    The text is: "615656-F04 V2.70-0-3 U47 DEC"

    > On the alpha version of the KZPAC, there should
    > be two flash chip holders but only one chip installed.

    Yes that's exactly what I have.

    I tried to flash the Firmware from HP's website to
    the controller. But the Alpha AND the Intel flash program
    told me that it cannot find a controller. But
    the dacd.exe found the controller.
    Windows XP also found the controller and installed
    the necessary drivers.
    Perhaps something wrong with the cache battery?
    Is it necessary to put a "terminator" in the battery socket
    when i disconnect the battery?
    Well, if it's possible to send me a new Chip please
    send an email with the costs to my eMail-Address.

    TIA

  8. Re: KZPAC-XE Problem

    I don't know if anyone ever answered your question on the kzpac about
    the terminator. If not, the answer is yes, you do have to have the term
    installed whenever the battery isn't installed. That's probably why your
    controller isn't showing up. I had one that was hanging my DS10 until I
    noticed the term wasn't installed and once I put it on, the board
    worked fine.

    --
    just_me