AlphaServer 1000: doesn't boot, no power to LED, no signal to com1 - DEC

This is a discussion on AlphaServer 1000: doesn't boot, no power to LED, no signal to com1 - DEC ; My AlphaServer 1000 4/233 just stops working: - doesn't boot, no display in the LED, no output to neither VGA or serial console. - There is power since all the fans are working, the disk LEDs are lit up, the ...

  1. AlphaServer 1000: doesn't boot, no power to LED, no signal to com1

    My AlphaServer 1000 4/233 just stops working:
    - doesn't boot, no display in the LED, no output to neither VGA or
    serial console.
    - There is power since all the fans are working, the disk LEDs are
    lit up, the CD tray can be ejected.
    - the RAMs are working. I moved them to other AlphaStation and they
    work there. If I remove a (or all) RAM modules, there are bips so
    it seems the memory controller on the motherboard is working.
    - I tried to re-sit the CPU daughterboard and all removable chips.
    - I was thinking of replacing battery but there is no battery on
    the mother and daughter boards.
    - It worked OK before with Tru64 5.1B.

    I don't know what to do next. I don't want to see it rest in peace yet.

    Can you someone help to bring its life back?

    TIA,
    Zoong

  2. Re: AlphaServer 1000: doesn't boot, no power to LED, no signal to com1

    I don't know about that particular model of Server, but we recently had a
    4100 go down and have similar problems - wouldn't power on, though all disks
    were green, etc.

    I learned that if you look in the back of the system through some of the fan
    grates, you can see a series of blinking lights. Those lights indicate the
    status of various system fans, CPU's, and other components. For us, we lost
    a system fan; when they die, the system refuses to power up. There should be
    a little sticker somewhere in/on the machine to explain the various light
    patterns. Try that perhaps.

    James.
    "Zoong Pham" wrote in message
    > My AlphaServer 1000 4/233 just stops working:
    > - doesn't boot, no display in the LED, no output to neither VGA or
    > serial console.
    > - There is power since all the fans are working, the disk LEDs are
    > lit up, the CD tray can be ejected.
    > - the RAMs are working. I moved them to other AlphaStation and they
    > work there. If I remove a (or all) RAM modules, there are bips so
    > it seems the memory controller on the motherboard is working.
    > - I tried to re-sit the CPU daughterboard and all removable chips.
    > - I was thinking of replacing battery but there is no battery on
    > the mother and daughter boards.
    > - It worked OK before with Tru64 5.1B.
    >
    > I don't know what to do next. I don't want to see it rest in peace yet.
    >
    > Can you someone help to bring its life back?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Zoong

  3. Re: AlphaServer 1000: doesn't boot, no power to LED, no signal to com1

    Have you tried reseating the memory? No display is often a memory issue.

    none

    "Zoong Pham" wrote in message
    > My AlphaServer 1000 4/233 just stops working:
    > - doesn't boot, no display in the LED, no output to neither VGA or
    > serial console.
    > - There is power since all the fans are working, the disk LEDs are
    > lit up, the CD tray can be ejected.
    > - the RAMs are working. I moved them to other AlphaStation and they
    > work there. If I remove a (or all) RAM modules, there are bips so
    > it seems the memory controller on the motherboard is working.
    > - I tried to re-sit the CPU daughterboard and all removable chips.
    > - I was thinking of replacing battery but there is no battery on
    > the mother and daughter boards.
    > - It worked OK before with Tru64 5.1B.
    >
    > I don't know what to do next. I don't want to see it rest in peace yet.
    >
    > Can you someone help to bring its life back?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Zoong

+ Reply to Thread