    |_| |_| | | | \| @ | |_| | \ |\ |_| _| | | o |_ |_| | |

  2. Re: Break into AlphaStation 200 case

    Hello!

    On 2004-11-07, John F wrote:
    > I just got an AlphaStation 200 off ebay, which is
    > running just fine. I can break into VMS using the
    > MGMT5 instructions from the faq, but the physical
    > case has a little lock on the back which is locked
    > (and seller never had the key). How can I pry it
    > open doing minimal damage? Thanks,

    You might want to look at some newsgroups archive (i.e.
    http://groups.google.com/) as I asked the same question some while ago.
    There were alot of suggestions :-)

    Thierry

  3. Re: Break into AlphaStation 200 case

    Thierry Dussuet wrote:
    : Hello!
    :
    : On 2004-11-07, John F wrote:
    : > I just got an AlphaStation 200 off ebay, which is
    : > running just fine. I can break into VMS using the
    : > MGMT5 instructions from the faq, but the physical
    : > case has a little lock on the back which is locked
    : > (and seller never had the key). How can I pry it
    : > open doing minimal damage? Thanks,
    :
    : You might want to look at some newsgroups archive (i.e.
    : http://groups.google.com/) as I asked the same question some while ago.
    : There were alot of suggestions :-)
    : Thierry

    Thanks, Thierry. I dug up the following three suggestions...

    (1) I have about 20 of these AlphaStation 200s and I've opened many, many of
    them with a screwdriver. It takes careful prying and I've never damaged the
    case. The diagram below shows the *back* of the Alpha. The "o" is the
    keyhole and to the left of it the "|" is the power supply edge. At the
    location of the "^"s, start prying carefully using a twisting motion of the
    screw driver. Twist the screwdriver counter clockwise to pull the cover
    back and toward the left.
    |-----------------------------------------|
    | ^ ^ | o ^ |
    |----------^------------------------------|
    Once the cover begins moving backwards, even just a little bit, focus your
    prying at the location of the two "^". The twisting of the cover towards
    the left (when looking at the back of the Alpha) causes the case to slip out
    from the locking latch. Then pull the case backwards about an inch and then
    lift it straight up.

    (2) Grab the lock cylinder with a pair of ViseGrips and twist it anyway.
    Make sure it's powered off, as part of the lock will fall off inside
    the machine. Now you have a machine that *won't* lock.

    (3) It is difficult for us to use these things too. However, I found that
    pushing down on the case in a certain place freed up the lock.

    ....but none of them seemed to work for me. However, during the process
    I stumbled on a method that did work. At the _front_ of the case, the
    cover has three small lips -- along the top and two sides -- that slip
    inside the faceplate. So I pried the faceplate forward till those lips
    cleared it. Then I lifted the cover up from the front rather than
    from the back.
    Once you start prying, "gaps" in the faceplate are visible in the
    upper-left and upper-tight corners. I slipped a small screwdriver into
    the gap and used it as a lever to pry the faceplate the rest of the way.
    You can do this one corner at a time. Once a lip clears the faceplate
    it catches on the edge and stays put. Then you can move to the other
    corner.
    There's still a bit of seat-of-the-pants prying and jiggling
    required that I can't put into precise words. But the basic idea
    is described above.

    Weirdly, I got this idea when I noticed that the two corners of
    the faceplate were already a little bit cracked and warped.
    What's weird is that if somebody else already broke into this
    machine that way, then why did they go to the trouble of
    replacing the cover with the lock still locked??? (I easily
    removed the lock bracket in about 10 seconds.)

    I also got an email suggestion...
    It's hard. I've just opened a simialr machine and you might
    try to unskrew the power supply and try to turn of the 8-shaped
    (anti-)screw (bolt?) for there.
    The lock is about one inch from the back side
    of the machine.
    The cover has a tiny steel thing molded(?) to the cover.
    I may send you a photo I took when I get it from my phone
    into my computer later (the IrDA-port is not available
    at work, must go home)
    .....Thanks, Kjell. I didn't try this one because I was afraid
    that if I failed to unlock the case after unscrewing the
    power supply, there'd be no way to reverse the procedure.

    John Forkosh
    --

+ Reply to Thread