Decode mv3100 self-test error codes - DEC

This is a discussion on Decode mv3100 self-test error codes - DEC ; Does anyone have an online reference for something that can decode mv3100 self-test error codes? Mine froze up the other day, returns the codes ??C 0080 0000.0040 ??B 0010 0010.0020 ??7 80A0 0000.41A4 ??6 80A1 0000.41A4 ??5 0001 0000.0010 ??1 ...

  1. Decode mv3100 self-test error codes

    Does anyone have an online reference for something that can decode
    mv3100 self-test error codes? Mine froze up the other day, returns
    the codes

    ??C 0080 0000.0040
    ??B 0010 0010.0020
    ??7 80A0 0000.41A4
    ??6 80A1 0000.41A4
    ??5 0001 0000.0010
    ??1 00C0 0000.600E

    then won't boot off any of the three disks it used to be able to.

    TIA,
    --
    Paul MacAvaney
    paulmac2-at-aol-dot-com

  2. Re: Decode mv3100 self-test error codes

    On 2 Nov 2004 18:19:15 -0800, paulmac2@aol.com (paul macavaney) wrote:

    >Does anyone have an online reference for something that can decode
    >mv3100 self-test error codes? Mine froze up the other day, returns
    >the codes
    >
    >??C 0080 0000.0040
    >??B 0010 0010.0020
    >??7 80A0 0000.41A4
    >??6 80A1 0000.41A4
    >??5 0001 0000.0010
    >??1 00C0 0000.600E
    >
    >then won't boot off any of the three disks it used to be able to.

    With that number of "fatal" errors (less serious faults are indicated with
    one ?), I'd say your machine is smoked. Try reseating everything,
    especially the memory. If the faults persist, time for a new processor.

    --
    Vegetarians eat vegetables. Beware of humanitarians!

    Mail john rather than nospam...

  3. Re: Decode mv3100 self-test error codes

    paul macavaney wrote:
    > Does anyone have an online reference for something that can decode
    > mv3100 self-test error codes? Mine froze up the other day, returns
    > the codes
    >
    > ??C 0080 0000.0040
    > ??B 0010 0010.0020
    > ??7 80A0 0000.41A4
    > ??6 80A1 0000.41A4
    > ??5 0001 0000.0010
    > ??1 00C0 0000.600E

    You would appear to be having interrupt problems.

    ??5 0001 0000.0010 -> Interrupt controller, all expected
    interrupts didn't occur
    ??1 00C0 0000.600E -> Ethernet controller, wrong number of interrupts

    Try the usual:-

    1) Blow dust form circuit boards
    2) Check supply voltages (with CRO if available)
    3) Remove circuits cards from mother board (one at a time) and
    powerup and check self-test error codes.

  4. Re: Decode mv3100 self-test error codes

    paul macavaney wrote:
    > ??C 0080 0000.0040

    hard error on serial line controller
    > ??B 0010 0010.0020

    hard error on memory
    > ??7 80A0 0000.41A4

    hard error on scsi controller A
    > ??6 80A1 0000.41A4

    hard error on scsi controller B
    > ??5 0001 0000.0010

    hard error on interrupt controller and ethernet id rom
    > ??1 00C0 0000.600E

    hard error on network interface

    Try removing and re-installing all boards and cables between boards.

    --
    Alex.

  5. Re: Decode mv3100 self-test error codes

    After re-seating or removing everything I could, this guy still won't
    pass self-test. Sadly, I think the first poster had it right --
    although no signs of catastrophic damage like scorching or arcing, the
    motherboard must be fried. I suppose I could go hunting for failed
    solder joints, but that's a job for another day. Thanks, all.
    --
    .

  6. Re: Decode mv3100 self-test error codes

    BTW, I received a follow-up via email and thought it might help
    someone to have the meanings of the failures explained:

    ??C 0080 0000.0040 Serial Line Controller (DZ) test.
    ??B 0010 0010.0020 RAM test
    ??7 80A0 0000.41A4 SCSI-A bus test
    ??6 80A1 0000.41A4 SCSI-B bus test
    ??5 0001 0000.0010 Interrupt controller & Ethernet ID ROM test
    ??1 00C0 0000.600E Ethernet circuits test
    --
    .

  7. Re: Decode mv3100 self-test error codes

    Very low probability, but if you have another MV3100 try using the
    other power supply. We once had a VAXstation 3100-30 with a series of
    POST failures (I don't know if they matched yours though); turned out
    the power supply was at fault. I think I remember the FSE saying that
    the +12V was out of spec and jittering. I still have that VS3100-30
    on my desk today with its original logic board.

    I'm not sure if the P/S in a BA42 or SZ12 expansion, or an Inforserver
    100/150 is compatible, but may also be worth a look. The two SZ12s we
    still have in use have the large logic board connector in addition to
    the disk power connectors that are actually required. Stickers are
    missing so I can't check part numbers.

    Rich

+ Reply to Thread