DECStation OS - DEC

This is a discussion on DECStation OS - DEC ; I've come across a discarded DECStation. I was wondering what was the current recommended OS for these machines. I don't have Ultrix media or a License. This is for personal usage. Bob Healey...

  1. DECStation OS

    I've come across a discarded DECStation. I was wondering what was the
    current recommended OS for these machines. I don't have Ultrix media or a
    License. This is for personal usage.

    Bob Healey

  2. Re: DECStation OS

    On Mon, 11 Oct 2004, Richard Tomkins wrote:

    > NetBSD seems to be the one to go with. It would be a pmax.

    With Linux being just the next alternative -- the Debian distribution
    supports most of these systems quite well.

    Maciej

  3. Re: DECStation OS

    In "Bob Healey" writes:

    >I've come across a discarded DECStation. I was wondering what was the
    >current recommended OS for these machines. I don't have Ultrix media or a
    >License. This is for personal usage.

    It depends on what your preference is. NetBSD (pmax) or Linux (mipsel) are
    running on these boxes. Device support is almost the same for both,

    HTH,
    Uli
    --
    Dipl. Inf. Ulrich Teichert|e-mail: Ulrich.Teichert@gmx.de
    Stormweg 24 |listening to: Noticable One (Rotten Apples)

  4. Re: DECStation OS

    On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 22:30:03 GMT,
    Ulrich.Teichert@gmx.de

    writes:

    >>I've come across a discarded DECStation. I was wondering what was the
    >>current recommended OS for these machines. I don't have Ultrix media or a
    >>License. This is for personal usage.

    > It depends on what your preference is. NetBSD (pmax) or Linux (mipsel) are
    > running on these boxes. Device support is almost the same for both,

    Isn't Ultrix also supported on the Hobbyist Licence scheme these days?

    --
    Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
    Brunel University. Ivan.Reid@brunel.ac.uk Room 40-1-B12, CERN

  5. Re: DECStation OS

    In "Dr Ivan D. Reid" writes:
    [DECStattion OSes]

    > Isn't Ultrix also supported on the Hobbyist Licence scheme these days?

    I have no idea. But "new" media will be almost impossible to get, I suppose,
    for reasons everybody knows. Searching the HP website for Ultrix turned
    out more hits than expected, but I wasn't able to find something useful.

    HTH,
    Uli
    --
    Dipl. Inf. Ulrich Teichert|e-mail: Ulrich.Teichert@gmx.de
    Stormweg 24 |listening to: Noticable One (Rotten Apples)
    24539 Neumuenster, Germany|Obstacle 1 (Interpol) Paranoia (N.Y. Rel-X)

  6. Re: DECStation OS

    Dr Ivan D. Reid wrote:

    > Isn't Ultrix also supported on the Hobbyist Licence scheme these days?

    Even if it wasn't licensed I don't think the DEC errr Compa.. errr HP
    storm troopers will raid you at 3am and confiscate your 15 year old unix
    box. You'd think companies would like hobbyists running their OS. It
    gives word of mouth advertising and some market share. Some guy tries
    VMS at home and talks his boss into buying a new cluster of Alphas. But
    then again what do I know.

    Adam

  7. Re: DECStation OS

    Ulrich.Teichert@gmx.de wrote:

    > > Isn't Ultrix also supported on the Hobbyist Licence scheme these days?

    > I have no idea. But "new" media will be almost impossible to get, I suppose,
    > for reasons everybody knows. Searching the HP website for Ultrix turned
    > out more hits than expected, but I wasn't able to find something useful.

    Do they still admit that they have sold a product like that?
    I remember someone being asked by Compaq support what he
    meant when he asked something about an OS called "ULTRIX" ;-)

    mfg
    Dennis

    --
    Bestechung, die -

    Jemanden fuer die Anstrengung honorieren, sich Verkaufsargumente nicht nur
    anzuhoeren, sondern sie auch ueberzeugend zu finden.

  8. Re: DECStation OS

    "Adam Stouffer" wrote in message
    > Dr Ivan D. Reid wrote:
    >

    > > Isn't Ultrix also supported on the Hobbyist Licence scheme these days?
    > >

    > Even if it wasn't licensed I don't think the DEC errr Compa.. errr HP
    > storm troopers will raid you at 3am and confiscate your 15 year old unix
    > box. You'd think companies would like hobbyists running their OS. It
    > gives word of mouth advertising and some market share.

    They need you to buy the "latest and greatest". If some one can do remotley
    usefull
    work on an old system that really undermines the marketing spin...

    > Some guy tries
    > VMS at home and talks his boss into buying a new cluster of Alphas. But
    > then again what do I know.

    I doubt they want you to buy VMS these days. They want VMS users to spend a
    fortune on
    services migrating elsewhere...

    > Adam

  9. Re: DECStation OS

    Get an OpenVMS hobbyist license
    "David Wade" wrote in message

    > "Adam Stouffer" wrote in message
    >> Dr Ivan D. Reid wrote:
    >>

    >> > Isn't Ultrix also supported on the Hobbyist Licence scheme these days?
    >> >

    >> Even if it wasn't licensed I don't think the DEC errr Compa.. errr HP
    >> storm troopers will raid you at 3am and confiscate your 15 year old unix
    >> box. You'd think companies would like hobbyists running their OS. It
    >> gives word of mouth advertising and some market share.

    > They need you to buy the "latest and greatest". If some one can do
    > remotley
    > usefull
    > work on an old system that really undermines the marketing spin...
    >
    >> Some guy tries
    >> VMS at home and talks his boss into buying a new cluster of Alphas. But
    >> then again what do I know.
    >>

    > I doubt they want you to buy VMS these days. They want VMS users to spend
    > fortune on
    > services migrating elsewhere...
    >>
    >> Adam

+ Reply to Thread