@173056 prompt on my PDP11/23-AH - DEC

This is a discussion on @173056 prompt on my PDP11/23-AH - DEC ; Just bought a PDP11/23 -AH on E-bay. All I get on the terminal on power-up is @173056. I have been told this is a debugger code from ODT, but I do not know how to proceed........HELP! I need a guru ...

  1. @173056 prompt on my PDP11/23-AH

    Just bought a PDP11/23 -AH on E-bay. All I get on the terminal on power-up is
    @173056. I have been told this is a debugger code from ODT, but I do not know
    how to proceed........HELP! I need a guru to point me in the right direction.
    Also,
    I have a bid on a BDV11 diagnostic card on e-bay, will this help me? Please
    excuse my ignorance in these matters, but I really want to see this machine up
    and running.

    Thanks,

    Wayne

  2. Re: @173056 prompt on my PDP11/23-AH

    WVerish wrote:
    > Just bought a PDP11/23 -AH on E-bay. All I get on the terminal on power-up is
    > @173056. I have been told this is a debugger code from ODT, but I do not know
    > how to proceed........HELP! I need a guru to point me in the right direction.

    It depends what version of the bootstrap you have on the CPU card. If you
    can tell us what's in the machine (module numbers of the cards in it)
    it'll be easier to see what might be wrong. The CPU card should have two
    ROMs -- it would help to know the numbers on these, as well (something
    like 23-339E2-00 and 23-340E2-00).

    The number is actually the contents of the program counter, in octal, at
    the time it halted, and is the address of the instruction it would have
    been about to execute. What that means depends on the particular
    bootstrap code, but the boot code starts at 173000 so a low number like
    173056 is probably something like no boot device found.

    > Also,
    > I have a bid on a BDV11 diagnostic card on e-bay, will this help me? Please
    > excuse my ignorance in these matters, but I really want to see this machine up
    > and running.

    A BDV11 probably won't be much use to you, since you already have a
    bootstrap (on the CPU card).

    BTW, you might get more responses if you ask on alt.sys.pdp11

    --
    Pete Peter Turnbull
    Network Manager

+ Reply to Thread