NEC CDR210 in MV3100 - DEC

This is a discussion on NEC CDR210 in MV3100 - DEC ; Hi, Will a NEC CDR210 CDROM drive work with my MV3100 to replace an unreliable RRD42? The big SCSI connectors are what triggered me to save it from the dumpster. So far I failed to figure out whether it handles ...

  1. NEC CDR210 in MV3100

    Hi,

    Will a NEC CDR210 CDROM drive work with my MV3100 to replace an unreliable
    RRD42? The big SCSI connectors are what triggered me to save it from the
    dumpster. So far I failed to figure out whether it handles 512 byte block
    size. If it does, I'll invest some euro's into a proper cable.

    Anyone knows?

    --
    jan a.m. van mastbergen

  2. Re: NEC CDR210 in MV3100

    In article , "Jan van Mastbergen" writes:
    :Will a NEC CDR210 CDROM drive work with my MV3100 to replace an unreliable
    :RRD42? The big SCSI connectors are what triggered me to save it from the
    :dumpster. So far I failed to figure out whether it handles 512 byte block
    :size. If it does, I'll invest some euro's into a proper cable.

    I am here assuming OpenVMS VAX on a MicroVAX 3100 series system, and
    typically a system running V6.2 or later as those releases will have
    the most flexible SCSI capabilities.

    Plextor PlexWriter SCSI drives do generally work (and can also generate
    disks, too), as do the RRD series SCSI drives. Only the RRD drives are
    formally supported by OpenVMS VAX, of course.

    I don't know off-hand if the NEC CDR-210 will work, but based on what I
    do find, that NEC drive appears to be an IDE ATAPI drive and not a SCSI
    drive. If that is the case, it won't work as the MicroVAX 3100 -- and
    BTW, there a number of different MicroVAX 3100 series models, beware
    abbreviating model names as that can lead to ambiguity and to the
    resulting wrong answers (but I digress) -- as no member of the MicroVAX
    3100 series I am aware of offers an IDE ATAPI interface.

    There are converters around, but you would need an adapter that converts
    the block size here -- I am aware of no IDE ATAPI device that offers
    512-byte sector sizes. (I also don't know if you're looking at such an
    adapter, or just at the IDE ATAPI cable connector that would likely be
    present here if the CDR-210 is actually not a SCSI device.)

    ---------------------------- #include -----------------------------
    For additional, please see the OpenVMS FAQ -- www.hp.com/go/openvms/faq
    --------------------------- pure personal opinion ---------------------------
    Hoff (Stephen) Hoffman OpenVMS Engineering hoff[at]hp.com

  3. Re: NEC CDR210 in MV3100

    Hoff,

    Thanks for your research but no, the item I have is definitely SCSI. It is
    an external drive labeled Pacific Business Systems model C109 9516. The
    internal drive in the cabinet is a Nec CDR210. Problem is that I have not
    been able to find any documentation on either of these type numbers to
    resolve the block size issue. Believe it was sold for early Apple machines.
    The MVAX btw. is a model 10 or 20 (DV-31ETA-A A01) running VMS 7.2. To make
    the system somewhat more useable I replaced the 2nd RZ24E with a Seagate
    ST52160N that I dug up at a hobbyist fair. Some more hunting next month...

    Regards, Jan

    > For additional, please see the OpenVMS FAQ --

    www.hp.com/go/openvms/faq

    > Hoff (Stephen) Hoffman OpenVMS Engineering hoff[at]hp.com

+ Reply to Thread