RZ26F not detected in MV3100 - DEC

This is a discussion on RZ26F not detected in MV3100 - DEC ; Short version: What can I do so that my RZ26F is detected by the console firmware in my MV3100m20? The whole story: I have a MV3100m20 that originally had a RZ23 system disk and an external storage expansion box with ...

  1. RZ26F not detected in MV3100

    Short version: What can I do so that my RZ26F is
    detected by the console firmware in my MV3100m20?

    The whole story: I have a MV3100m20 that originally
    had a RZ23 system disk and an external storage expansion
    box with 2 (physically) large 5 1/4" HP disks on SCSIB.

    After upgrading an AS200 I had a RZ26F (Quantum 1080) left
    over and I thought I replace the system disk in the MV with
    it so I could upgrade to VMS 7.2.

    This worked flawless for years until I now decided to get
    rid of the 2 HP with larger and physically smaller ones.

    If I keep the storage expansion box switched off I can't
    see the RZ26F anymore. If I disconnect and reconnect power
    directly to the drive after MV self test, it shows up and
    I can boot from it and it will work without any problems.

    I've tried about any drive that I could find at home (Apple,
    HP, IBM, Quantum, Seagate) and they all were detected.
    Btw. if I put the RZ26F into a PC with a NCR810 it shows up
    immediately during the bus scan.

    I suspect a bad setting, but there are only 4 jumpers (id & term)
    so I have no idea what to change.
    If it helps I can post the output of SCSI_MODE and I can also
    hook it up to an Alpha to use RZTOOLS.

    And yes, I spent a few hours on the HP homepage and Google but
    didn't get any wiser, so help is greatly appreciated.

    Regards, Roland

  2. Re: RZ26F not detected in MV3100

    so, your most likely culprit is an ID conflict or a cabling issue
    (connector, termination, etc). Why not disconnect the rz23 and see if
    the 3100 will see the drive then? what ID does it show up at? is it
    colliding with the ID of some other device on the bus?

    isildur

    On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Roland Haider wrote:

    > Short version: What can I do so that my RZ26F is
    > detected by the console firmware in my MV3100m20?
    >
    > The whole story: I have a MV3100m20 that originally
    > had a RZ23 system disk and an external storage expansion
    > box with 2 (physically) large 5 1/4" HP disks on SCSIB.
    >
    > After upgrading an AS200 I had a RZ26F (Quantum 1080) left
    > over and I thought I replace the system disk in the MV with
    > it so I could upgrade to VMS 7.2.
    >
    > This worked flawless for years until I now decided to get
    > rid of the 2 HP with larger and physically smaller ones.
    >
    > If I keep the storage expansion box switched off I can't
    > see the RZ26F anymore. If I disconnect and reconnect power
    > directly to the drive after MV self test, it shows up and
    > I can boot from it and it will work without any problems.
    >
    > I've tried about any drive that I could find at home (Apple,
    > HP, IBM, Quantum, Seagate) and they all were detected.
    > Btw. if I put the RZ26F into a PC with a NCR810 it shows up
    > immediately during the bus scan.
    >
    > I suspect a bad setting, but there are only 4 jumpers (id & term)
    > so I have no idea what to change.
    > If it helps I can post the output of SCSI_MODE and I can also
    > hook it up to an Alpha to use RZTOOLS.
    >
    > And yes, I spent a few hours on the HP homepage and Google but
    > didn't get any wiser, so help is greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Regards, Roland

  3. Re: RZ26F not detected in MV3100

    isildur@andrew.cmu.edu (Lord Isildur) wrote in 041.0409231627330.18854@unix44.andrew.cmu.edu>:

    >so, your most likely culprit is an ID conflict or a cabling issue
    >(connector, termination, etc). Why not disconnect the rz23 and see if
    >the 3100 will see the drive then? what ID does it show up at? is it
    >colliding with the ID of some other device on the bus?
    >
    >isildur

    Unfortunately its not that simple. This is the config:

    SCSIA SCSIB
    7 - 7 -
    6 controller 6 controller
    5 TZ30 5 -
    4 - 4 RRD42
    3 RZ23 3 RZ26F
    2 - 2 HP-DISK
    1 - 1 HP-DISK
    0 - 0 -

    This works as long as I don't _remove_ the HP disks.
    Also as I wrote power cycling the disk alone after the
    post has completed makes the disk show up.

    Roland

  4. Re: RZ26F not detected in MV3100

    Roland Haider wrote:
    > isildur@andrew.cmu.edu (Lord Isildur) wrote in > 041.0409231627330.18854@unix44.andrew.cmu.edu>:
    >

    >>so, your most likely culprit is an ID conflict or a cabling issue
    >>(connector, termination, etc). Why not disconnect the rz23 and see if
    >>the 3100 will see the drive then? what ID does it show up at? is it
    >>colliding with the ID of some other device on the bus?
    >>
    >>isildur

    > Unfortunately its not that simple. This is the config:
    >
    > SCSIA SCSIB
    > 7 - 7 -
    > 6 controller 6 controller
    > 5 TZ30 5 -
    > 4 - 4 RRD42
    > 3 RZ23 3 RZ26F
    > 2 - 2 HP-DISK
    > 1 - 1 HP-DISK
    > 0 - 0 -
    >
    > This works as long as I don't _remove_ the HP disks.
    > Also as I wrote power cycling the disk alone after the
    > post has completed makes the disk show up.
    >
    > Roland

    Actually it does sound like a termination issue. What
    order on the bus (cabling-wise) are the disks? Is one
    of the HP disks the last on the chain? Is the last
    disk on the chain set to have termination power on?
    If you remove it then the bus is open ended there may
    be problems with the bus.

    --
    Vance Haemmerle

  5. Re: RZ26F not detected in MV3100

    vance@toyvax.Glendale.CA.US (Vance Haemmerle) wrote in @newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>:
    >Actually it does sound like a termination issue. What
    >order on the bus (cabling-wise) are the disks? Is one
    >of the HP disks the last on the chain? Is the last
    >disk on the chain set to have termination power on?
    >If you remove it then the bus is open ended there may
    >be problems with the bus.
    >
    >--
    >Vance Haemmerle

    I use a passive terminator on the external connector, so I
    don't use the terminator on a disk.

    Power is another thing: How do I set the RZ26F to supply
    termination power to the bus? (There are only 5 Jumpers:
    3x ID 1x termination 1x PK to hold spare)

    Roland

+ Reply to Thread