Alphaserver 1000a Linux Installation problems - DEC

This is a discussion on Alphaserver 1000a Linux Installation problems - DEC ; Hey guys- I picked up an Alphaserver 1000a 5/400 from a friend of mine and I want to get it going with Debian. Unfortunately, it appears that the onboard SCSI controler causes the system to lock whenever it actually writes ...

  1. Alphaserver 1000a Linux Installation problems

    Hey guys-

    I picked up an Alphaserver 1000a 5/400 from a friend of mine and I
    want to get it going with Debian. Unfortunately, it appears that the
    onboard SCSI controler causes the system to lock whenever it actually
    writes to a HD. Hence, I've installed a secondary SCSI card (an
    Adaptec PCI) and I can boot from the CD and install to the HDs on the
    new controler, but I can't get the SRM console to boot from the other
    card. Is this possiable? If not, is there a different card that the
    system would allow me to boot from? (I have a lot sitting around)

    Thanks!
    -Steve

  2. Re: Alphaserver 1000a Linux Installation problems

    krippner@stu.beloit.edu (Steve) wrote in message news:...
    > Hey guys-
    >
    > I picked up an Alphaserver 1000a 5/400 from a friend of mine and I
    > want to get it going with Debian. Unfortunately, it appears that the
    > onboard SCSI controler causes the system to lock

    I have Debian 2.2 running on an Alphaserver 1000A 5/233. The machine
    had two buses built in (see below). It appears all disks (including
    boot disk) are running off the QLogic ISP1020. Is that what your
    machine has? Have you tried a different disk?

    --Toby

    Attached devices:
    Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
    Vendor: DEC Model: RZ29B (C) DEC Rev: 0016
    Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
    Vendor: DEC Model: RZ29B (C) DEC Rev: 0016
    Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
    Vendor: QUANTUM Model: VIKING 4.5 WSE Rev: 880P
    Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 04 Lun: 00
    Vendor: DEC Model: RRD45 (C) DEC Rev: 0436
    Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02

    $ cat isp1020/0
    QLogic ISP1020 SCSI on PCI bus 01 device 00 irq 17 MEM base
    0xfffffc8602250000
    $ cat sym53c8xx/1
    Chip sym53c810, device id 0x1, revision id 0x2
    On PCI bus 0, device 13, function 0, IRQ 22
    Min. period factor 25, Narrow SCSI BUS
    Max. started commands 1022, max. commands per LUN 64

    > Thanks!
    > -Steve

  3. Re: Alphaserver 1000a Linux Installation problems

    > I have Debian 2.2 running on an Alphaserver 1000A 5/233.

    I mean, /300.
    --T

+ Reply to Thread