Test print from mmj port- LA-75 printer - DEC

This is a discussion on Test print from mmj port- LA-75 printer - DEC ; i have a LA-75 companion printer i need test. Asuming i already have mmj cable and a Digital VT320 terminal, how do i set this up to print some test output from the terminal. I am not talking about printing ...

  1. Test print from mmj port- LA-75 printer

    i have a LA-75 companion printer i need test. Asuming i already have mmj
    cable and a Digital VT320 terminal, how do i set this up to print some test
    output from the terminal. I am not talking about printing a manual test
    page - i already know how to do that. I am basically trying to test the
    ports on the printer to know if they work.

    Regards

    --
    http://QLiner.com

    The goal of the works of a genius' existance lies only in itself.

  2. Re: Test print from mmj port- LA-75 printer

    stewart allen wrote:
    > i have a LA-75 companion printer i need test. Asuming i already have mmj
    > cable and a Digital VT320 terminal, how do i set this up to print some test
    > output from the terminal. I am not talking about printing a manual test
    > page - i already know how to do that. I am basically trying to test the
    > ports on the printer to know if they work.

    Are the settings on the VT allright (bitrate and such)?
    Do you have a rollover MMJ cable?
    Do you have a way to put text on the screen?
    Does F2 work as a "print-screen" key?

    Maybe this can help you on your way.

    (Oh, F3 is usually the Setup key if you didn't know)

    Alex.

  3. Re: Test print from mmj port- LA-75 printer

    "stewart allen" wrote in message news:...
    > i have a LA-75 companion printer i need test. Asuming i already have mmj
    > cable and a Digital VT320 terminal, how do i set this up to print some test
    > output from the terminal. I am not talking about printing a manual test
    > page - i already know how to do that. I am basically trying to test the
    > ports on the printer to know if they work.
    >
    > Regards

    The terminal setup should have a printer section,
    check the speed and settings are the same as the printer.
    I think if you press one (or more) of the buttons when you
    power-on the printer then then it prints its configuration.
    The terminal requires an escape sequence to switch output
    from the screen to the printer. If you put the following
    into a dcl procedure, then @la75 will send that
    file to the printer, then redirect output back to the terminal.
    $!la75.com - p1 is filename to slave print
    $ say := "write sys$output"
    $ esc[0,7] = 27
    $ csi = "''esc'["
    $!switch to slave
    $ say "''csi'5i"
    $ type 'p1'
    $ say "''csi'4i"
    $!switch back
    $ exit

    Phil

  4. Re: Test print from mmj port- LA-75 printer

    stewart allen wrote:
    > i have a LA-75 companion printer i need test. Asuming i already have mmj
    > cable and a Digital VT320 terminal, how do i set this up to print some test
    > output from the terminal. I am not talking about printing a manual test
    > page - i already know how to do that. I am basically trying to test the
    > ports on the printer to know if they work.

    1. Press F3 to go into set-up on the VT320, and make sure that the baud
    rate / parity / stop bits (etc) match with what your printer is
    expecting.

    2. If your VT320 is not attached to a host, put it into "Local" mode.
    Then F3 again to exit set-up mode, and type some stuff. (Use the
    cursor keys if you want to move about the screen.)

    3. If your VT320 is attached to a host, exit set-up then get a screen
    full of whatever takes your fancy.

    4. Finally, press F2 -- this may be marked as 'print screen'. (Not PF2.)
    Your LA75 should then lurch into life.

    Nice printer, by the way - solidly built. I just wish you could say the
    same about the VT320! >

    Good luck.

    S.

  5. Re: Test print from mmj port- LA-75 printer

    That worked...thanks Simon!

    "Simon Coombs" >
    > 1. Press F3 to go into set-up on the VT320, and make sure that the baud
    > rate / parity / stop bits (etc) match with what your printer is
    > expecting.
    >
    > 2. If your VT320 is not attached to a host, put it into "Local" mode.
    > Then F3 again to exit set-up mode, and type some stuff. (Use the
    > cursor keys if you want to move about the screen.)
    >
    > 3. If your VT320 is attached to a host, exit set-up then get a screen
    > full of whatever takes your fancy.
    >
    > 4. Finally, press F2 -- this may be marked as 'print screen'. (Not PF2.)
    > Your LA75 should then lurch into life.
    >
    > Nice printer, by the way - solidly built. I just wish you could say the
    > same about the VT320! >
    >
    > Good luck.
    >
    > S.

+ Reply to Thread