WTB: KZQSA Q-Bus SCSI Controller - DEC

This is a discussion on WTB: KZQSA Q-Bus SCSI Controller - DEC ; Hi there. I just got a MicroVAX 4000 model 300 from a local scrapyard, and I would like to get it up and running. However, a lack of a means of getting VMS onto the machine (having only a VMS ...

  1. WTB: KZQSA Q-Bus SCSI Controller

    Hi there.

    I just got a MicroVAX 4000 model 300 from a local scrapyard, and I
    would like to get it up and running. However, a lack of a means of
    getting VMS onto the machine (having only a VMS CD) has made this
    difficult. I'd like to get a SCSI adaptor for this machine so that I
    can install VMS using a SUN SCSI CD-ROM drive (external, of course) I
    have kicking around. I believe, from what I understand, it meets the
    requirements to boot a VAX from CD.

    Failing at that, I have a TK70 CompacTape II drive in it, and if I
    could purchase the VMS media from someone on CompacTape II cartridges,
    I would be willing to go in that direction.

    Thank you!

    Phil.

  2. Re: WTB: KZQSA Q-Bus SCSI Controller

    phil.vachon@gmail.com (Phil Vachon) writes:

    > I just got a MicroVAX 4000 model 300 from a local scrapyard, and I
    > would like to get it up and running. However, a lack of a means of
    > getting VMS onto the machine (having only a VMS CD) has made this
    > difficult. I'd like to get a SCSI adaptor for this machine so that I
    > can install VMS using a SUN SCSI CD-ROM drive (external, of course)
    > I have kicking around. I believe, from what I understand, it meets
    > the requirements to boot a VAX from CD.

    So you have disks in the 300 already? What are they?

    The Sun CD may be a problem. The early ones would re-init if they got
    a 10? byte SCSI packet and would vanish for serveral seconds from the
    bus. A CMD controller would be a much better bet. Almost any Toshiba
    512 byte CD drive even better. Or net boot it from some one elses
    machine.

    --
    Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.

  3. Re: WTB: KZQSA Q-Bus SCSI Controller

    Phil Vachon wrote:

    > Hi there.
    >
    > I just got a MicroVAX 4000 model 300 from a local scrapyard, and I
    > would like to get it up and running. However, a lack of a means of
    > getting VMS onto the machine (having only a VMS CD) has made this
    > difficult. I'd like to get a SCSI adaptor for this machine so that I
    > can install VMS using a SUN SCSI CD-ROM drive (external, of course) I
    > have kicking around. I believe, from what I understand, it meets the
    > requirements to boot a VAX from CD.

    It seems KZQSA is an SCSI card without MSCP firmware thus it is not
    bootable.

    vax, 3900

    > Failing at that, I have a TK70 CompacTape II drive in it, and if I
    > could purchase the VMS media from someone on CompacTape II cartridges,
    > I would be willing to go in that direction.
    >
    > Thank you!
    >
    > Phil.

  4. Re: WTB: KZQSA Q-Bus SCSI Controller

    In article ,
    vax, 3900 wrote:
    >It seems KZQSA is an SCSI card without MSCP firmware thus it is not
    >bootable.

    There is another one, though, apparently:

    M5977-AA RQZX1 Q Qbus to SCSI disk (MSCP) and tape (TMSCP) adapter

    I've only used SCSI adapters from Dilog myself, however. I have one
    in my PDP-11/73.

    --
    David Evans dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
    Research Associate, Ph.D. Candidate http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/

  5. Re: WTB: KZQSA Q-Bus SCSI Controller

    On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 21:06:33 -0400, vax, 3900 wrote:
    >Phil Vachon wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there.
    >>
    >> I just got a MicroVAX 4000 model 300 from a local scrapyard, and I
    >> would like to get it up and running. However, a lack of a means of
    >> getting VMS onto the machine (having only a VMS CD) has made this
    >> difficult. I'd like to get a SCSI adaptor for this machine so that I
    >> can install VMS using a SUN SCSI CD-ROM drive (external, of course) I
    >> have kicking around. I believe, from what I understand, it meets the
    >> requirements to boot a VAX from CD.

    >It seems KZQSA is an SCSI card without MSCP firmware thus it is not
    >bootable.
    >
    >vax, 3900

    Although the KZQSA does not have MSCP support, it is actually possible
    to boot and install the OpenVMS install CD-ROM with it, provided one has
    DSSI or some other kind of MSCP drive/controller to install the OS onto.

    Mark

    --
    Mark G. Thomas (Mark@Misty.com)
    http://www.misty.com/ http://mail-cleaner.com/

  6. Re: WTB: KZQSA Q-Bus SCSI Controller

    Hi Paul.

    Yeah, I already have disks in it - 2 2 gb (70-28814-01 C03,
    70-28814-01 C04) and a 1 gb disk (70-25972-01 B02). I also have the
    built-in SHAC QBus controller (I think it's MSCP, but I'm _not_ sure)

    Someone has offered to send me a KZQSA already, so when I get it, I'll
    test things out and let you folks know how it goes.

    Thanks.

    Phil

    Paul Repacholi wrote in message news:<87656sh8vc.fsf@k9.prep.synonet.com>...
    > phil.vachon@gmail.com (Phil Vachon) writes:
    >
    > > I just got a MicroVAX 4000 model 300 from a local scrapyard, and I
    > > would like to get it up and running. However, a lack of a means of
    > > getting VMS onto the machine (having only a VMS CD) has made this
    > > difficult. I'd like to get a SCSI adaptor for this machine so that I
    > > can install VMS using a SUN SCSI CD-ROM drive (external, of course)
    > > I have kicking around. I believe, from what I understand, it meets
    > > the requirements to boot a VAX from CD.

    > So you have disks in the 300 already? What are they?
    >
    > The Sun CD may be a problem. The early ones would re-init if they got
    > a 10? byte SCSI packet and would vanish for serveral seconds from the
    > bus. A CMD controller would be a much better bet. Almost any Toshiba
    > 512 byte CD drive even better. Or net boot it from some one elses
    > machine.

+ Reply to Thread