reading/writing ansi tapes in linux - DEC

This is a discussion on reading/writing ansi tapes in linux - DEC ; Hi, I'm trying to find an app for linux that can read/write ansi-formatted tapes for vms. The only app I've found so far is a rather ancient version of ansitape from a usenet post dated sometime in 1987 that won't ...

  1. reading/writing ansi tapes in linux

    Hi,
    I'm trying to find an app for linux that can read/write ansi-formatted
    tapes for vms. The only app I've found so far is a rather ancient
    version of ansitape from a usenet post dated sometime in 1987 that won't
    compile on anything modern. Does anyone know of a more modern version of
    this program, or another prog with similar functionality?
    thanks.

  2. Re: reading/writing ansi tapes in linux

    Alex Snow wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I'm trying to find an app for linux that can read/write ansi-formatted
    > tapes for vms. The only app I've found so far is a rather ancient
    > version of ansitape from a usenet post dated sometime in 1987 that won't
    > compile on anything modern. Does anyone know of a more modern version of
    > this program, or another prog with similar functionality?
    > thanks.

    ansitape was apparently used as recently as 1996 in HP-UX:
    http://www.informatik.uni-frankfurt....nsitape.1.html

    Links to a downloadable tarball can be found at:
    http://sources.isc.org/utils/backup/ansitape.txt

    ....or try your favorite search engine (I found these via Yahoo!).

    Hope this helps...

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

  3. Re: reading/writing ansi tapes in linux

    Hi,
    Tried compiling this version on linux (slack 10/gcc3.3.4) with no
    luck...the errors I got were
    Script started on Sun Sep 5 21:33:21 2004
    root@h14me:~/ansitape#
    root@h14me:~/ansitape# make
    cc -c -o tables.o tables.c
    cc -O -o ansitape -DEBCDIC ansitape.c tables.o
    ansitape.c: In function `list_volume_set':
    ansitape.c:392: error: `FREAD' undeclared (first use in this function)
    ansitape.c:392: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    ansitape.c:392: error: for each function it appears in.)
    ansitape.c: In function `write_volume_set':
    ansitape.c:454: error: `FREAD' undeclared (first use in this function)
    ansitape.c: In function `write_file':
    ansitape.c:538: error: `FWRITE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    ansitape.c: In function `read_volume_set':
    ansitape.c:591: error: `FREAD' undeclared (first use in this function)
    ansitape.c: In function `read_file':
    ansitape.c:631: warning: comparison between pointer and integer
    ansitape.c: In function `ansi_open':
    ansitape.c:656: error: `FREAD' undeclared (first use in this function)
    ansitape.c: In function `ansi_read':
    ansitape.c:708: warning: return makes integer from pointer without a cast
    ansitape.c:730: warning: return makes integer from pointer without a cast
    ansitape.c: In function `ansi_close':
    ansitape.c:857: error: `FWRITE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    ansitape.c: In function `ansi_date':
    ansitape.c:1194: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    ansitape.c:1194: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    make: *** [ansitape] Error 1
    root@h14me:~/ansitape# exit
    Script done on Sun Sep 5 21:33:27 2004

    I'll try googling this again but all I could find before was links to
    various docs on using the app itself.
    David J Dachtera wrote:
    > Alex Snow wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>I'm trying to find an app for linux that can read/write ansi-formatted
    >>tapes for vms. The only app I've found so far is a rather ancient
    >>version of ansitape from a usenet post dated sometime in 1987 that won't
    >>compile on anything modern. Does anyone know of a more modern version of
    >>this program, or another prog with similar functionality?
    >>thanks.

    > ansitape was apparently used as recently as 1996 in HP-UX:
    > http://www.informatik.uni-frankfurt....nsitape.1.html
    >
    > Links to a downloadable tarball can be found at:
    > http://sources.isc.org/utils/backup/ansitape.txt
    >
    > ...or try your favorite search engine (I found these via Yahoo!).
    >
    > Hope this helps...
    >
    > --
    > David J Dachtera
    > dba DJE Systems
    > http://www.djesys.com/

  4. Re: reading/writing ansi tapes in linux

    Alex Snow wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Tried compiling this version on linux (slack 10/gcc3.3.4) with no
    > luck...the errors I got were
    > Script started on Sun Sep 5 21:33:21 2004
    > root@h14me:~/ansitape#
    > root@h14me:~/ansitape# make
    > cc -c -o tables.o tables.c
    > cc -O -o ansitape -DEBCDIC ansitape.c tables.o
    > ansitape.c: In function `list_volume_set':
    > ansitape.c:392: error: `FREAD' undeclared (first use in this function)
    > ansitape.c:392: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    > ansitape.c:392: error: for each function it appears in.)
    > ansitape.c: In function `write_volume_set':
    > ansitape.c:454: error: `FREAD' undeclared (first use in this function)
    > ansitape.c: In function `write_file':
    > ansitape.c:538: error: `FWRITE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    > ansitape.c: In function `read_volume_set':
    > ansitape.c:591: error: `FREAD' undeclared (first use in this function)
    > ansitape.c: In function `read_file':
    > ansitape.c:631: warning: comparison between pointer and integer
    > ansitape.c: In function `ansi_open':
    > ansitape.c:656: error: `FREAD' undeclared (first use in this function)
    > ansitape.c: In function `ansi_read':
    > ansitape.c:708: warning: return makes integer from pointer without a cast
    > ansitape.c:730: warning: return makes integer from pointer without a cast
    > ansitape.c: In function `ansi_close':
    > ansitape.c:857: error: `FWRITE' undeclared (first use in this function)
    > ansitape.c: In function `ansi_date':
    > ansitape.c:1194: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    > ansitape.c:1194: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    > make: *** [ansitape] Error 1
    > root@h14me:~/ansitape# exit
    > Script done on Sun Sep 5 21:33:27 2004

    Well, considering its age, that looks relatively clean: a consistent
    error in multiple locations. Seems easy enough to fix. I don't happen to
    know what the fix would be, however, and another compiler and/or
    different make options for compatibility with older C-code might
    produce different results.

    Know any "heavy" C-coders? (Not me, obviously.)

    I also saw a link that mentioned ansitape on Solaris. Might produce
    better results if you can find a source package.

    Try the linux groups, comp.unix.solaris or alt.solaris.x86. Caution,
    though: the denizens of the Solaris groups have a bit of an attitude...

    > I'll try googling this again but all I could find before was links to
    > various docs on using the app itself.

    Yeah - lots of old manpages about...

    D.J.D.

  5. Re: reading/writing ansi tapes in linux

    David J Dachtera wrote:
    >Alex Snow wrote:
    >> Tried compiling this version on linux (slack 10/gcc3.3.4) with no
    >> luck...the errors I got were
    >> ansitape.c: In function `list_volume_set':
    >> ansitape.c:392: error: `FREAD' undeclared (first use in this function)

    FREAD en FWRITE are old BSD-ish flags for file access, usually defined in
    fcntl.h. These are unsupported in (most?al?) Linux. Ansitape.c compiles
    in FreeBSD 4.x and 5.x

    Therefore, the program must be thoroughly screened for these and other
    non-Posixism before it is widely usuable again. I don't have time for that,
    sorry.

    >Try the linux groups, comp.unix.solaris or alt.solaris.x86. Caution,
    >though: the denizens of the Solaris groups have a bit of an attitude...

    Pf, same as the linux group denizens then, but your basic Solaris groupie
    is more knowledgeable and less religiously bigoted, if ever so slightly.

    Good luck!
    scs

  6. Re: reading/writing ansi tapes in linux

    On 7 Sep 2004 17:28:10 GMT
    "S.C.Sprong" wrote:

    > David J Dachtera wrote:
    > >Alex Snow wrote:
    > >> Tried compiling this version on linux (slack 10/gcc3.3.4) with no
    > >> luck...the errors I got were
    > >> ansitape.c: In function `list_volume_set':
    > >> ansitape.c:392: error: `FREAD' undeclared (first use in this

    > >function)

    > FREAD en FWRITE are old BSD-ish flags for file access, usually defined
    > in fcntl.h. These are unsupported in (most?al?) Linux. Ansitape.c
    > compiles in FreeBSD 4.x and 5.x
    >
    > Therefore, the program must be thoroughly screened for these and other
    > non-Posixism before it is widely usuable again. I don't have time for
    > that, sorry.

    I've cleaned-up the code a bit, and it now compiles
    cleanly on Solaris (Sun C), Tru64 (Compaq C), and Linux (gcc).

    You can download the modified tarball from:

    If it doesn't work, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

    Take care,

    --
    Stefaan
    --