Re: help needed finding a VT100/VT101 keyboard - DEC

This is a discussion on Re: help needed finding a VT100/VT101 keyboard - DEC ; Dan wrote: | | I have recently purchased both a DEC VT100 and a VT101, | both without keyboards. Sadly, people who want to sell off equipment of this vintage seldom understand the need to keep the keyboard and display ...

  1. Re: help needed finding a VT100/VT101 keyboard

    Dan wrote:

    | I have recently purchased both a DEC VT100 and a VT101,
    | both without keyboards.

    Sadly, people who want to sell off equipment of this vintage seldom
    understand the need to keep the keyboard and display unit together.

    | I was able to find a newer DEC keyboard at the local surplus store,
    | one with the RJ11 connector, but from what I read there isn't any
    | easy way to make this work as the VT10x uses a bi-directional data line.

    Your newer keyboard is probably either an LK201 or LK401. Practically
    speaking, neither can be used with the older-technology VT100-series
    display units.

    On the other hand, from time to time somebody posts in "comp.terminals"
    lamenting that he has obtained a VT220 or VT420 display unit without
    its keyboard; such a person would be pleased to take the one you have
    off your hands. Don't trash it.

    | Does anyone have an extra keyboard that they are willing to part
    | with, or any leads on where to find one? This is the one that uses
    | a 1/4" headphone connector.

    People who are collectors of DEC PDP-11 and early VAX computer systems
    might possibly have an assortment of VT100 components, since the VT100
    was the console terminal of choice for classic VAX-11 machines. Here
    are some websites for such interests:

    http://www.osfn.org/rcs/
    http://www.village.org/pdp11/faq.html
    http://webpages.charter.net/thecompu...ction/periphs/

    The other possible source of VT100 keyboards and components would be
    amateur-radio hamfests, where old electronic gear of every description
    might be for sale or trade. A list of such weekend events is maintained
    by the American Radio Relay League:

    http://www.arrl.org/hamfests.html

    For other information about VT100 terminals, their keyboards, and
    related technology, you can check my archive:

    http://www.cs.utk.edu/~shuford/terminal_index.html

    A diagram of the VT100's key layout appears here:

    http://vt100.net/docs/vt100-ug/figure3-2.html

    | I don't regularly check this group, so I would appreciate a copy of
    | any response via e-mail to dano at agora dot rdrop dot com. Thanks.

    It's not the best Internet manners, to ask a question and then "leave
    the room" without checking for an answer, but maybe I'll be nice...

    ...RSS

    --
    K.L. says to try http://www.celestialseasonings.com/products/herb/r.php
    which, however, contains no caffeine.

  2. Re: help needed finding a VT100/VT101 keyboard

    "Richard S. Shuford" wrote in message news:...
    > Dan wrote:
    > |
    > | I have recently purchased both a DEC VT100 and a VT101,
    > | both without keyboards.
    >
    > Sadly, people who want to sell off equipment of this vintage seldom
    > understand the need to keep the keyboard and display unit together.

    True.

    > | I was able to find a newer DEC keyboard at the local surplus store,
    > | one with the RJ11 connector, but from what I read there isn't any
    > | easy way to make this work as the VT10x uses a bi-directional data line.
    >
    > Your newer keyboard is probably either an LK201 or LK401. Practically
    > speaking, neither can be used with the older-technology VT100-series
    > display units.

    I checked, it's a LK201AA. I gathered from what little information I
    could find that the interface was not the same.

    > On the other hand, from time to time somebody posts in "comp.terminals"
    > lamenting that he has obtained a VT220 or VT420 display unit without
    > its keyboard; such a person would be pleased to take the one you have
    > off your hands. Don't trash it.

    I won't trash it, I'll probably keep it, gathering dust along with my
    VT100, until I either find a use for it or find a better home for it.

    > | Does anyone have an extra keyboard that they are willing to part
    > | with, or any leads on where to find one? This is the one that uses
    > | a 1/4" headphone connector.
    >
    > People who are collectors of DEC PDP-11 and early VAX computer systems
    > might possibly have an assortment of VT100 components, since the VT100
    > was the console terminal of choice for classic VAX-11 machines. Here
    > are some websites for such interests:
    >
    > http://www.osfn.org/rcs/
    > http://www.village.org/pdp11/faq.html
    > http://webpages.charter.net/thecompu...ction/periphs/
    >
    > The other possible source of VT100 keyboards and components would be
    > amateur-radio hamfests, where old electronic gear of every description
    > might be for sale or trade. A list of such weekend events is maintained
    > by the American Radio Relay League:
    >
    > http://www.arrl.org/hamfests.html
    >
    > For other information about VT100 terminals, their keyboards, and
    > related technology, you can check my archive:
    >
    > http://www.cs.utk.edu/~shuford/terminal_index.html
    >
    > A diagram of the VT100's key layout appears here:
    >
    > http://vt100.net/docs/vt100-ug/figure3-2.html

    Thanks for all the information, I'll check it out.

    > | I don't regularly check this group, so I would appreciate a copy of
    > | any response via e-mail to dano at agora dot rdrop dot com. Thanks.
    >
    > It's not the best Internet manners, to ask a question and then "leave
    > the room" without checking for an answer, but maybe I'll be nice...

    Sorry, not meaning to "leave the room", I just didn't want to miss out
    on anything here by mistake! Thanks again.

    -Dan

    > ...RSS

+ Reply to Thread