questions about TZ88N-VA - DEC

This is a discussion on questions about TZ88N-VA - DEC ; I have acquired a TZ88n-VA DLT drive. Some questions: Will this work in a BA-350 shelf? (I think the "VA" denotes that it should as far as being 8-bit etc; I suppose cooling is not an issue?) Should it work ...

  1. questions about TZ88N-VA

    I have acquired a TZ88n-VA DLT drive. Some questions:

    Will this work in a BA-350 shelf? (I think the "VA" denotes that it
    should as far as being 8-bit etc; I suppose cooling is not an issue?)
    Should it work with all versions of VMS in the 7.3-1--8.2 range? What
    sort of media can it write? What sort of media can it read? (I believe
    there are DLT-1, DLT-2, DLT-3, DLT-4 etc.) I think that even the
    smallest DLT tape will be enough for me; what do folks recommend with
    respect to a) cost and b) longevity (both of the physical tape itself as
    well as being able to read it in the future from another drive)?

  2. Re: questions about TZ88N-VA

    In helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply) writes:

    >I have acquired a TZ88n-VA DLT drive. Some questions:

    >Will this work in a BA-350 shelf? (I think the "VA" denotes that it
    >should as far as being 8-bit etc; I suppose cooling is not an issue?)

    Correct, VA is 8 bit.

    >Should it work with all versions of VMS in the 7.3-1--8.2 range? What
    >sort of media can it write? What sort of media can it read? (I believe

    Write DLT III and IV

    Read down to 2.6GB IIRC

    IIRC.. its been a while.

    >there are DLT-1, DLT-2, DLT-3, DLT-4 etc.) I think that even the
    >smallest DLT tape will be enough for me; what do folks recommend with
    >respect to a) cost and b) longevity (both of the physical tape itself as
    >well as being able to read it in the future from another drive)?

    Get a III or IV cartridge.

    W/

  3. Re: questions about TZ88N-VA

    In article <41250569$0$53057$e4fe514c@dreader5.news.xs4all.nl>, Wilko
    Bulte From: writes:

    > In helbig@astro.multiCLOTHESvax.de (Phillip

    Helbig---remove CLOTHES to reply) writes:

    > >I have acquired a TZ88n-VA DLT drive. Some questions:

    > >Will this work in a BA-350 shelf? (I think the "VA" denotes that it
    > >should as far as being 8-bit etc; I suppose cooling is not an issue?)

    > Correct, VA is 8 bit.
    >
    > >Should it work with all versions of VMS in the 7.3-1--8.2 range? What
    > >sort of media can it write? What sort of media can it read? (I believe

    > Write DLT III and IV
    >
    > Read down to 2.6GB IIRC
    >
    > IIRC.. its been a while.
    >
    > >there are DLT-1, DLT-2, DLT-3, DLT-4 etc.) I think that even the
    > >smallest DLT tape will be enough for me; what do folks recommend with
    > >respect to a) cost and b) longevity (both of the physical tape itself as
    > >well as being able to read it in the future from another drive)?

    > Get a III or IV cartridge.

    Thanks for the info.

    I have mostly SCSI-1 (5 Mb/s), some fast narrow SCSI-2 (10 MB/s), mostly
    VA disks internal or in BA350 or BA353 shelves, some VW disks in BA356
    shelves (all of these are on the 10 Mb/s SCSI). When doing a backup to
    the DLT system mentioned above from a) a disk on the same SCSI bus, b) a
    disk with a direct connection to the same machine and c) to an
    MSCP-served disk, what will be the bottleneck: disk speed, SCSI-bus
    speed, tape-drive speed or network speed (only a possibility in the last
    case, obviously)?

  4. Re: questions about TZ88N-VA

    > I have mostly SCSI-1 (5 Mb/s), some fast narrow SCSI-2 (10 MB/s), mostly
    > VA disks internal or in BA350 or BA353 shelves, some VW disks in BA356
    > shelves (all of these are on the 10 Mb/s SCSI). When doing a backup to
    > the DLT system mentioned above from a) a disk on the same SCSI bus, b) a
    > disk with a direct connection to the same machine and c) to an
    > MSCP-served disk, what will be the bottleneck: disk speed, SCSI-bus
    > speed, tape-drive speed or network speed (only a possibility in the last
    > case, obviously)?

    If you find the Systems and Options (SOC) archives on the HP website
    and look up the TZ88 in the tape drive section (
    http://h18002.www1.hp.com/products/q...C/QB00DPPF.PDF )you
    will find that the information given there says the "TZ88 is
    read/write compatible with the TZ85, TZ86, TZ87 and TZ88. TZ88 uses
    DLT/CompacTape IV media and is read/write compatible with,
    DLT/CompacTape III, and DLT/CompacTape IIIXT media."

    When using a DLT IV make sure that it hasn't been previously used on
    with a DLT7000 (TZ89) or DLT8000 drive since they also use the same
    cartdridge but at a higher density (35/70GB or 40/80GB) than the TZ88
    can handle. If this is the case, the TZ88 will give an error when
    trying to load the tape. The only way I know of to remedy that is to
    use a degauser and erase the tape manually.

    The SOC also says the drive's native transfer speed is 1.5MB/sec and
    the compressed speed is up to 3.0MB/sec. Ths means that in senarios
    (a) and (b) it may be a toss-up as to what is the bottleneck as quite
    a few SCSI-1 and some SCSI-2 drives will be hard pressed to sustain a
    transfer rate of 3MB/Sec and if both the hard drive and the tape drive
    are on the same bus it may be the bus bandwith that is the limit. In
    senario (c) the network will be the limiting factor if you have a
    10baseT network and probably even if you have a 100baseT although the
    throughput of the MSCP server may be a factor also.

    Also in the SOC documents under Storage Enclosures (
    http://h18002.www1.hp.com/products/q...C/QB001QPF.PDF ), it
    lists the TZ88Z-VA supported for the BA350 (BA356 also) shelf.

  5. Re: questions about TZ88N-VA

    John Reinhardt wrote:

    > When using a DLT IV make sure that it hasn't been previously used on
    > with a DLT7000 (TZ89) or DLT8000 drive since they also use the same
    > cartdridge but at a higher density (35/70GB or 40/80GB) than the TZ88
    > can handle. If this is the case, the TZ88 will give an error when
    > trying to load the tape. The only way I know of to remedy that is to
    > use a degauser and erase the tape manually.

    And it will take a *really* *powerful* degausser! The least
    expensive one I have found that will reliably do the job costs
    $1500. The really good ones cost up to twice that. I was
    shocked, to say the least.

    Another possible solution (which I have not tried yet) would be
    to manually unwind the first ten feet or so of the tape and pass
    it over one of those ceramic/rare earth magnets. I have one I
    removed from an old Fujitsu Eagle disk drive, so I will try that
    the next time I need to re-initialize a tape.

    Alan

  6. Re: questions about TZ88N-VA

    Alan Frisbie wrote:
    > John Reinhardt wrote:
    >
    >> When using a DLT IV make sure that it hasn't been previously used on
    >> with a DLT7000 (TZ89) or DLT8000 drive since they also use the same
    >> cartdridge but at a higher density (35/70GB or 40/80GB) than the TZ88
    >> can handle. If this is the case, the TZ88 will give an error when
    >> trying to load the tape. The only way I know of to remedy that is to
    >> use a degauser and erase the tape manually.

    > And it will take a *really* *powerful* degausser! The least
    > expensive one I have found that will reliably do the job costs
    > $1500. The really good ones cost up to twice that. I was
    > shocked, to say the least.
    >
    > Another possible solution (which I have not tried yet) would be
    > to manually unwind the first ten feet or so of the tape and pass
    > it over one of those ceramic/rare earth magnets. I have one I
    > removed from an old Fujitsu Eagle disk drive, so I will try that
    > the next time I need to re-initialize a tape.
    >
    > Alan

    Actually, I ran into this problem occasionally at my last job, where we had both
    TZ88 and TZ89 drives. You can reset the density on a tape by loading it back
    into a TZ89 drive and manually selecting the lower density, then writing
    something to it. (Of course, this is no help if you only have a TZ88 drive...)

  7. Re: questions about TZ88N-VA

    Alan Frisbie writes:

    > John Reinhardt wrote:
    >
    >> When using a DLT IV make sure that it hasn't been previously used on
    >> with a DLT7000 (TZ89) or DLT8000 drive since they also use the same
    >> cartdridge but at a higher density (35/70GB or 40/80GB) than the TZ88
    >> can handle. If this is the case, the TZ88 will give an error when
    >> trying to load the tape. The only way I know of to remedy that is to
    >> use a degauser and erase the tape manually.

    > And it will take a *really* *powerful* degausser! The least
    > expensive one I have found that will reliably do the job costs
    > $1500. The really good ones cost up to twice that. I was
    > shocked, to say the least.

    MRI machines work well, if you can borrow one for 30 sec. BTW, you can
    do a LOT of tapes in that time. Great for doing ~10,000 3480 catridges.

    --
    Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.

  8. Re: questions about TZ88N-VA

    Alan Frisbie wrote:

    > John Reinhardt wrote:
    >
    >> When using a DLT IV make sure that it hasn't been previously used on
    >> with a DLT7000 (TZ89) or DLT8000 drive since they also use the same
    >> cartdridge but at a higher density (35/70GB or 40/80GB) than the TZ88
    >> can handle. If this is the case, the TZ88 will give an error when
    >> trying to load the tape. The only way I know of to remedy that is to
    >> use a degauser and erase the tape manually.

    > And it will take a *really* *powerful* degausser! The least
    > expensive one I have found that will reliably do the job costs
    > $1500. The really good ones cost up to twice that. I was
    > shocked, to say the least.
    >
    > Another possible solution (which I have not tried yet) would be
    > to manually unwind the first ten feet or so of the tape and pass
    > it over one of those ceramic/rare earth magnets. I have one I
    > removed from an old Fujitsu Eagle disk drive, so I will try that
    > the next time I need to re-initialize a tape.
    >
    > Alan

    Might be easier to find a TZ89 and re-init the tape at the lower density.

    Dave

    --
    David Froble Tel: 724-529-0450
    Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. Fax: 724-529-0596

  9. Re: questions about TZ88N-VA

    Paul Repacholi wrote:
    > Alan Frisbie writes:
    >

    >>John Reinhardt wrote:
    >>

    >>> When using a DLT IV make sure that it hasn't been previously used on
    >>>with a DLT7000 (TZ89) or DLT8000 drive since they also use the same
    >>>cartdridge but at a higher density (35/70GB or 40/80GB) than the TZ88
    >>>can handle. If this is the case, the TZ88 will give an error when
    >>>trying to load the tape. The only way I know of to remedy that is to
    >>>use a degauser and erase the tape manually.

    >>And it will take a *really* *powerful* degausser! The least
    >>expensive one I have found that will reliably do the job costs
    >>$1500. The really good ones cost up to twice that. I was
    >>shocked, to say the least.

    > MRI machines work well, if you can borrow one for 30 sec. BTW, you can
    > do a LOT of tapes in that time. Great for doing ~10,000 3480 catridges.

    err...
    Right. For those who don't have, say, a 72D18 in the basement (and the
    few megawatts of electricity to run it) ;-) 8-)
    People near CERN, Fermilab, BNL, or the like might be able to borrow one...

  10. Re: questions about TZ88N-VA

    ->MRI machines work well, if you can borrow one for 30 sec. BTW, you can
    ->do a LOT of tapes in that time. Great for doing ~10,000 3480 cartridges.

    Anyone thinking of trying this - don't. There are 4 visible metallic
    (ferrous) screws on the backside of these cartridges. If not secured
    those tapes will head straight for the magnet, probably smash, and (the
    screws at least) stay there until the liquid helium charge is removed
    (not cheap). Whomever you borrowed it from would be livid. If it's a
    medical facility you'd never get those tapes near an MRI if normal
    safety procedures are in place.

    --
    -- Carl Karcher, Waisman Computing Services, Waisman Center, UW-Madison
    -- karcher.nomorespxm@waisman.wisc.edu

+ Reply to Thread