VAXstation 3100 strange-ness! - DEC

This is a discussion on VAXstation 3100 strange-ness! - DEC ; Hi there y'all... Have a VAXstation 3100 m76 running VMS7.3 and DECwindows. Hardware appears to be fine - all self-tests pass OK, and VMS operates normally. One strange thing seems to be happening though - Have DEC TCPIP running and ...

  1. VAXstation 3100 strange-ness!

    Hi there y'all...

    Have a VAXstation 3100 m76 running VMS7.3 and DECwindows.

    Hardware appears to be fine - all self-tests pass OK, and VMS operates
    normally.

    One strange thing seems to be happening though -

    Have DEC TCPIP running and use telnet, PC based Xserver, etc to connect.

    However, when I restart/stop the PC, the VAX seems to shutdown to the >>>
    prompt!

    The network is connected via 2 x 4 port Cisco hubs, daisy chained. Network
    operates correctly on this machine, and others in the network. The VAX is
    physically connected to the network via an Ethernet transceiver off the AUI
    ethernet port.

    Help! Any ideas?! This is really baffling!!

  2. Re: VAXstation 3100 strange-ness!

    Do have the latest VMS patches installed?
    Are there any patches available for TCPIP?
    What did you do (Install, Modify) to cause this to start?

    Sorry for the DEC/CPQ/HP Support type questions but it is designed to get at
    the cause of the problem.

    Is a crash dump file generated before you shutdown?

    "SCC" wrote in message
    > Hi there y'all...
    >
    > Have a VAXstation 3100 m76 running VMS7.3 and DECwindows.
    >
    > Hardware appears to be fine - all self-tests pass OK, and VMS operates
    > normally.
    >
    > One strange thing seems to be happening though -
    >
    > Have DEC TCPIP running and use telnet, PC based Xserver, etc to connect.
    >
    > However, when I restart/stop the PC, the VAX seems to shutdown to the >>>
    > prompt!
    >
    > The network is connected via 2 x 4 port Cisco hubs, daisy chained. Network
    > operates correctly on this machine, and others in the network. The VAX is
    > physically connected to the network via an Ethernet transceiver off the

    AUI
    > ethernet port.
    >
    > Help! Any ideas?! This is really baffling!!

  3. Re: VAXstation 3100 strange-ness!

    Hey - thanks for getting back so quickly!

    Hmmm - I'm quite new to this whole DEC / VAX thing, so I guess that would be
    a no! No patches are installed as far as I can tell. Still - I'm not sure
    how I'd find out either!

    There doesn't appear to be a crash dump... Perhaps the machine isn't
    crashing?

    Thanks again.

    "Gunner" wrote in message
    > Do have the latest VMS patches installed?
    > Are there any patches available for TCPIP?
    > What did you do (Install, Modify) to cause this to start?
    >
    > Sorry for the DEC/CPQ/HP Support type questions but it is designed to get

    at
    > the cause of the problem.
    >
    > Is a crash dump file generated before you shutdown?

    > "SCC" wrote in message
    > > Hi there y'all...
    > >
    > > Have a VAXstation 3100 m76 running VMS7.3 and DECwindows.
    > >
    > > Hardware appears to be fine - all self-tests pass OK, and VMS operates
    > > normally.
    > >
    > > One strange thing seems to be happening though -
    > >
    > > Have DEC TCPIP running and use telnet, PC based Xserver, etc to connect.
    > >
    > > However, when I restart/stop the PC, the VAX seems to shutdown to the
    >>>

    > > prompt!
    > >
    > > The network is connected via 2 x 4 port Cisco hubs, daisy chained.

    Network
    > > operates correctly on this machine, and others in the network. The VAX

    is
    > > physically connected to the network via an Ethernet transceiver off the

    > AUI
    > > ethernet port.
    > >
    > > Help! Any ideas?! This is really baffling!!

  4. Re: VAXstation 3100 strange-ness!

    "SCC" wrote in message
    > However, when I restart/stop the PC, the VAX seems to shutdown to the >>>
    > prompt!
    >
    > The network is connected via 2 x 4 port Cisco hubs, daisy chained. Network
    > operates correctly on this machine, and others in the network. The VAX is
    > physically connected to the network via an Ethernet transceiver off the

    AUI
    > ethernet port.

    Do you have anything connected to the 3100's serial port? Your symptom
    sounds like a BREAK being sent on the serial console line when the terminal
    (or PC w/term emulation) is shut off.
    Jack Pea****

  5. Re: VAXstation 3100 strange-ness!

    Yeah - the PC is connected to the VAX serial port... and I'm just thinking
    that I made the connector myself so that could be it! Thanks.

    "Jack Pea****" wrote in message
    > "SCC" wrote in message
    > > However, when I restart/stop the PC, the VAX seems to shutdown to the
    >>>

    > > prompt!
    > >
    > > The network is connected via 2 x 4 port Cisco hubs, daisy chained.

    Network
    > > operates correctly on this machine, and others in the network. The VAX

    is
    > > physically connected to the network via an Ethernet transceiver off the

    > AUI
    > > ethernet port.
    > >

    > Do you have anything connected to the 3100's serial port? Your symptom
    > sounds like a BREAK being sent on the serial console line when the

    terminal
    > (or PC w/term emulation) is shut off.
    > Jack Pea****

  6. Re: VAXstation 3100 strange-ness!

    In article , "SCC" writes:
    :Yeah - the PC is connected to the VAX serial port... and I'm just thinking
    :that I made the connector myself so that could be it! Thanks.

    Details on this console port "fun" are in the OpenVMS FAQ, BTW.

    ---------------------------- #include -----------------------------
    For additional, please see the OpenVMS FAQ -- www.hp.com/go/openvms/faq
    --------------------------- pure personal opinion ---------------------------
    Hoff (Stephen) Hoffman OpenVMS Engineering hoff[at]hp.com

  7. Re: VAXstation 3100 strange-ness!

    Its not a VAX specific thing either - there are other arch's (sparc for
    one) that interpret the signals on a serial line generated by a PC
    shutting down as a break and react accordingly.

    Hoff Hoffman wrote:
    > In article , "SCC" writes:
    > :Yeah - the PC is connected to the VAX serial port... and I'm just thinking
    > :that I made the connector myself so that could be it! Thanks.
    >
    > Details on this console port "fun" are in the OpenVMS FAQ, BTW.
    >
    > ---------------------------- #include -----------------------------
    > For additional, please see the OpenVMS FAQ -- www.hp.com/go/openvms/faq
    > --------------------------- pure personal opinion ---------------------------
    > Hoff (Stephen) Hoffman OpenVMS Engineering hoff[at]hp.com

  8. Re: VAXstation 3100 strange-ness!

    hoffman@xdelta.hp.nospam (Hoff Hoffman) wrote in message news:...
    > In article , "SCC" writes:
    > :Yeah - the PC is connected to the VAX serial port... and I'm just thinking
    > :that I made the connector myself so that could be it! Thanks.
    >
    > Details on this console port "fun" are in the OpenVMS FAQ, BTW.
    >
    > ---------------------------- #include -----------------------------
    > For additional, please see the OpenVMS FAQ -- www.hp.com/go/openvms/faq
    > --------------------------- pure personal opinion ---------------------------
    > Hoff (Stephen) Hoffman OpenVMS Engineering hoff[at]hp.com

    As previously mentioned you may well be inadvertently sending a
    break/Cntrl-p to the console port, does "c" entered at the >>> bring
    you back to Vms ? find it hard to believe that system has been
    systematically shutdown...

    -eric

  9. Re: VAXstation 3100 strange-ness!

    Hmmm. haven't tried that... will give it a go next time this happens...

    Thanks very much Eric and everyone!

    news:677ab15f.0408171212.35aa926@posting.google.co m...

    -----------------------------
    > > For additional, please see the OpenVMS FAQ --

    www.hp.com/go/openvms/faq

    > > Hoff (Stephen) Hoffman OpenVMS Engineering hoff[at]hp.com

    > As previously mentioned you may well be inadvertently sending a
    > break/Cntrl-p to the console port, does "c" entered at the >>> bring
    > you back to Vms ? find it hard to believe that system has been
    > systematically shutdown...
    >
    > -eric

+ Reply to Thread