Help with SBB in BA353 - DEC

This is a discussion on Help with SBB in BA353 - DEC ; Hi, I have a DEC "StorageWorks BA353 Desktop Expansion Unit" and a DS-RZ1DB-VW 9,1 GB SBB. HDD has power and starts, but I cannot see her at my VaxStation. Trying the disk internal with SCA-Adapter everything is fine. Printed on ...

  1. Help with SBB in BA353

    Hi,

    I have a DEC "StorageWorks BA353 Desktop Expansion Unit" and a DS-RZ1DB-VW
    9,1 GB SBB. HDD has power and starts, but I cannot see her at my VaxStation.
    Trying the disk internal with SCA-Adapter everything is fine.

    Printed on the SBB: For use with 300 Series Shelf or other devices as
    specified in manual (I donīt have the manual). Is the SBB broken or wonīt it
    run in this enclosure?

    The BA353 is o.k., SCSI-ID etc is checked also.

    Greetings from Germany
    Thorsten

  2. Re: Help with SBB in BA353

    "Thorsten Hahn" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a DEC "StorageWorks BA353 Desktop Expansion Unit" and a DS-RZ1DB-VW
    > 9,1 GB SBB. HDD has power and starts, but I cannot see her at my

    VaxStation.
    > Trying the disk internal with SCA-Adapter everything is fine.
    >
    > Printed on the SBB: For use with 300 Series Shelf or other devices as
    > specified in manual (I donīt have the manual). Is the SBB broken or wonīt

    it
    > run in this enclosure?
    >
    > The BA353 is o.k., SCSI-ID etc is checked also.
    >
    > Greetings from Germany
    > Thorsten

    Thorsten,

    As best as I can remember, the 353 enclosures don't supply sufficient
    cooling to use drives > 4 gb. I have no idea whether there is anything in
    the SBB or the 353 to keep the 9.1 gb drive from working electrically (I
    assume it would soon overheat).

    Some VaxStations (3100, etc.) won't boot from a drive that big, I don't know
    if the SCSI interface can "see" them.

    I have lots of the 353 enclosures, but don't have any SBB's > 4.1 gb, so I
    can't try to duplicate the problem for you.

    Stuart Johnson
    //ssj152

  3. Re: Help with SBB in BA353

    ssj152 (stuart) wrote:
    > "Thorsten Hahn" wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I have a DEC "StorageWorks BA353 Desktop Expansion Unit" and a DS-RZ1DB-VW
    >>9,1 GB SBB. HDD has power and starts, but I cannot see her at my

    > VaxStation.
    >
    >>Trying the disk internal with SCA-Adapter everything is fine.
    >>
    >>Printed on the SBB: For use with 300 Series Shelf or other devices as
    >>specified in manual (I donīt have the manual). Is the SBB broken or wonīt

    > it
    >
    >>run in this enclosure?
    >>
    >>The BA353 is o.k., SCSI-ID etc is checked also.
    >>
    >>Greetings from Germany
    >>Thorsten
    >>

    > Thorsten,
    >
    > As best as I can remember, the 353 enclosures don't supply sufficient
    > cooling to use drives > 4 gb. I have no idea whether there is anything in
    > the SBB or the 353 to keep the 9.1 gb drive from working electrically (I
    > assume it would soon overheat).
    >
    > Some VaxStations (3100, etc.) won't boot from a drive that big, I don't know
    > if the SCSI interface can "see" them.
    >
    > I have lots of the 353 enclosures, but don't have any SBB's > 4.1 gb, so I
    > can't try to duplicate the problem for you.
    >
    > Stuart Johnson
    > //ssj152

    Pretty sure the BA353 is also a narrow-only enclosure, with no support
    for a wide device like yours. The cooling problem is real; only 5400RPM
    drives were supported in that enclosure.

    Rich

  4. Re: Help with SBB in BA353

    "Thorsten Hahn" wrote in message news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a DEC "StorageWorks BA353 Desktop Expansion Unit" and a DS-RZ1DB-VW
    > 9,1 GB SBB. HDD has power and starts, but I cannot see her at my VaxStation.
    > Trying the disk internal with SCA-Adapter everything is fine.
    >
    > Printed on the SBB: For use with 300 Series Shelf or other devices as
    > specified in manual (I donīt have the manual). Is the SBB broken or wonīt it
    > run in this enclosure?
    >
    > The BA353 is o.k., SCSI-ID etc is checked also.
    >
    > Greetings from Germany
    > Thorsten

    The SCSI bus in a BA353 is narrow, that is the data path is 8 bits. As such
    it does not have the other 8 bits necssary to support wide 16 bit SCSI data. The
    problem you are seeing is probably due to lack of high byte termination in the
    BA353 for wide devices. The RZ1DB-VW is a wide device, designated by the -VW.
    Narrow devices have a -VA suffix, for example RZ29B-VA.

    If you used your SCA to 50 pin adapter in the VAXstation and it 'worked', the
    SCA adapter is probably supplying the high byte termination for the RZ1DB drive.

    The rule of thumb is that narrow devices generally will function correctly in a
    wide backplane, but wide devices do not work in narrow ones.

    The bottom line is that your RZ1DB-VW SBB isn't compatible with the BA353.

    Jeff Campbell
    n8wxs@arrl.net

  5. Re: Help with SBB in BA353

    "Thorsten Hahn" writes:

    > I have a DEC "StorageWorks BA353 Desktop Expansion Unit" and a DS-RZ1DB-VW

    Narrow SCSI Wide ^

    Look at the diamond logo on the drive, unless it has N/W there, it must be in
    a 16 bit shelf.

    --
    Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.

  6. Re: Help with SBB in BA353

    > Look at the diamond logo on the drive, unless it has N/W there, it must be
    in
    > a 16 bit shelf.

    The diamond (inside):

    10
    ---
    F10

    Bottom:

    N (left) N/W (right)

    But I think itīs useless to try anymore, I hope I can trade the SBB.

    BTW: Any hints about cleaning TZ30 and TK50 drives? Google said: using a DLT
    III Cleaning-Tape is not a good idea...

    Thanks
    Thorsten

  7. Re: Help with SBB in BA353

    "Thorsten Hahn" wrote in message news:...

    > BTW: Any hints about cleaning TZ30 and TK50 drives? Google said: using a DLT
    > III Cleaning-Tape is not a good idea...
    >
    > Thanks
    > Thorsten

    There's a special kit for TK50/70 and TZ30 drives. A plastic carrier
    (blue colored is all I've ever seen) with a guide slot fits in the
    drive opening. The slot guides a flat plastic strip with a cloth face
    back into the head and rollers. You take a platen cleaner (alcohol
    capsule in a fiber swab, crack the capsule to soak the swab) and wet
    the cloth face on the plastic strip. Then you run it throught the
    guide slot in the carrier and back-and-forth it a few times; that
    scrubs the heads. The strips were single-use and meant to be
    discarded.

    The DEC part number for the kit was TKXX-HC. They used to sell
    refills that came with 10 cleaning strips and 10 platen cleaners. I
    don't know the number for that. No idea if these are still orderable,
    but I'm down to my last three strips here.

    Rich

+ Reply to Thread