Re: AlphaServer 800 Console - DEC

This is a discussion on Re: AlphaServer 800 Console - DEC ; "John H. Reinhardt" wrote: > > Hello everyone, > > I have recently come into possesion of a used AlphaServer 800. > It's clean and, except for missing the top door which would cover the > CD/floppy/control buttons, in very ...

  1. Re: AlphaServer 800 Console

    "John H. Reinhardt" wrote:

    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I have recently come into possesion of a used AlphaServer 800.
    > It's clean and, except for missing the top door which would cover the
    > CD/floppy/control buttons, in very good shape. My problem is this -
    > after I hook up a keyboard, mouse and monitor and power the system on,
    > I don't get any console output. I get one beep (which, according to
    > the user guide is normal), the video works because I get the S3Trio
    > startup screen and I get the BIO startup but then the screen goes blue
    > and the sursor sits in the upper left corner blinking at me. The disk
    > drives spin up but don't attempt to boot (no surprise, they're fresh
    > drives I installed). My thoughts are that the console variable is set
    > to serial but I've hit return and used the keyboard while it was
    > booting and it didn't re-direct the output to the graphics ports. Is
    > there anything else I can do? I've ordered a cable to connect to the
    > serial console (it's an MMJ) but it won't be here for 3 days or so and
    > I'm looking for something I can do in the meantime.
    >
    > Thanks to all.

    Think you'll have to wait for that cable. If CONSOLE is set to serial in
    SRM, it will expect to use the serial port.

    In the meantime, check the OpenVMS FAQ and other sources for the DEC423
    pinout for the MMJ jack. Get a standard 6-conductor (RJ12?) plug, and
    snip off the tab and the hump it protudes from with a diagonal cutter,
    *AFTER* crimping to the pinout. Remember to make the cable null-modem
    ("crossover"). Put whatever you need on the other end (DB25, DB9, etc.).

    If you're impatient, may as well try it - can't hurt much.

    D.J.D.

  2. Re: AlphaServer 800 Console

    Thanks to all that responded both online and privately. It turns out
    the "problem" was a combination of things. #1 - the CONSOLE ev was
    set to "serial" (which we all pretty much assumed) and #2 - the port
    (actually the whole 2nd tier) of the KVM that the system was plugged
    into was not working properly. It would display video (and replicate
    it accross all 8 ports!) but did not allow the keyboard to communicate
    so that it would not switch from serial to graphics mode as it should.
    I got the proper cable for the serial connection and it all works
    fine. Especially since I now have it plugged into a good port on the
    KVM.

    John H. Reinhardt

    P.S.
    If you need DEC style cables (MMJ etc) FAST, check out Stonewall
    Cable, Inc http://www.stonewallcable.com . No affiliation, just a
    happy customer.

  3. Re: AlphaServer 800 Console

    John Reinhardt wrote:

    > Thanks to all that responded both online and privately. It turns out
    > the "problem" was a combination of things. #1 - the CONSOLE ev was
    > set to "serial" (which we all pretty much assumed) and #2 - the port
    > (actually the whole 2nd tier) of the KVM that the system was plugged
    > into was not working properly. It would display video (and replicate
    > it accross all 8 ports!) but did not allow the keyboard to communicate
    > so that it would not switch from serial to graphics mode as it should.
    > I got the proper cable for the serial connection and it all works
    > fine. Especially since I now have it plugged into a good port on the
    > KVM.

    AH! Yes, well, probably best to take such things "out of the loop" when
    things don't work as they should.

    > P.S.
    > If you need DEC style cables (MMJ etc) FAST, check out Stonewall
    > Cable, Inc http://www.stonewallcable.com . No affiliation, just a
    > happy customer.

    Will look into that...

    D.J.D.