Most impressive VAX installations - DEC

This is a discussion on Most impressive VAX installations - DEC ; To anyone listening! I was flicking through the VAX Architecture Reference Manual earlier and it got me wondering about the ratio between physically installed memory in a VAX setup and the maximum theoretical limit of 4 GB. As far as ...

  1. Most impressive VAX installations

    To anyone listening!

    I was flicking through the VAX Architecture Reference Manual earlier
    and it got me wondering about the ratio between physically installed
    memory in a VAX setup and the maximum theoretical limit of 4 GB. As
    far as I'm aware for VAXen the physical never to close to the virtual.

    I remember when 64MB was an astronomic amount of memory, which was
    around the time of the last VAXes, so I'm asking - how much RAM did
    you see crammed into the latest or greatest of the VAXen (and what
    else was interesting about the setups, for example maximum number of
    users, storage etc)

    Or just tell me to get a life

    Mark.

  2. Re: Most impressive VAX installations

    > I remember when 64MB was an astronomic amount of memory, which was
    > around the time of the last VAXes, so I'm asking - how much RAM did
    > you see crammed into the latest or greatest of the VAXen (and what
    > else was interesting about the setups, for example maximum number of
    > users, storage etc)

    Astronomical is relative to era, class of system and personal
    perception. I'm pretty sure the 780 I worked on in the '83 time frame
    had 64 MB of RAM, and supported (more or less 60+ simultaneous
    logged in users all madly editing and compiling. That was a long way
    from the end of the VAX era, and quite a ways from astronomical for such
    a system.

    De

+ Reply to Thread