264DP and ATX - DEC

This is a discussion on 264DP and ATX - DEC ; Hi everybody, I am still sitting on my DS20e with one broken PSU (for two years now). Since it would make my heart bleed to sell/scrap it, I did some research and found out that the mainboard seems to be ...

  1. 264DP and ATX

    Hi everybody,

    I am still sitting on my DS20e with one broken PSU (for two years now).
    Since it would make my heart bleed to sell/scrap it, I did some
    research and found out that the mainboard seems to be identical to the
    264DP. Now, what I was wondering: I got the impression that the 264DP
    can be fired up with an industry standard (TM) ATX PSU with 600W+.
    Is this correct? If so, what is necessary to make them work? The power
    connectors on the 264DP don't seem to match what an ATX PSU is
    providing (i.e. 20/24+4 pins on ATX vs. 24+8 [or even 16?] pins on the
    mainboard).
    Can anyone give me some insight?

    (Yeah, I know it's a bad idea but it's the best I currently have,
    unless of course someone in Europe has a spare PSU for a DS20e sitting
    around, collecting dust).

    b.r.,

    Marc

  2. Re: 264DP and ATX

    Marc Schlensog wrote:

    > I am still sitting on my DS20e with one broken PSU (for two years now).
    > Since it would make my heart bleed to sell/scrap it, I did some
    > research and found out that the mainboard seems to be identical to the
    > 264DP. Now, what I was wondering: I got the impression that the 264DP
    > can be fired up with an industry standard (TM) ATX PSU with 600W+.
    > Is this correct? If so, what is necessary to make them work? The power
    > connectors on the 264DP don't seem to match what an ATX PSU is
    > providing (i.e. 20/24+4 pins on ATX vs. 24+8 [or even 16?] pins on the
    > mainboard).
    > Can anyone give me some insight?

    The "industry standard" power supply for the 264DP is actually
    pretty much non-standard.
    It's basically the very same mainboard as the DS20. The PSU has
    different connectors and the 264DP mainboard has unsual power
    requirements for 3.3V and 5V.
    I still have the documentation with the pin-outs here, if you
    need that.

    gruss,
    Dennis

    --
    Don't suffer from insanity...
    Enjoy every minute of it.

  3. Re: 264DP and ATX

    On 19 Oct 2008 20:32:46 GMT
    Dennis Grevenstein wrote:

    > Marc Schlensog wrote:
    > [...]
    > The "industry standard" power supply for the 264DP is actually
    > pretty much non-standard.

    Oh great. So it's just as "industry standard" as the memory modules :-)

    > It's basically the very same mainboard as the DS20. The PSU has
    > different connectors and the 264DP mainboard has unsual power
    > requirements for 3.3V and 5V.

    So I guess rewiring an ATX PSU is out of the question too...

    > I still have the documentation with the pin-outs here, if you
    > need that.

    I got the 264DP tech manual. It's all nicely laid out in there but
    thanks for the offer.

    > gruss,
    > Dennis

    Besten Dank und Gruss zurueck,

    Marc

  4. Re: 264DP and ATX

    On Oct 19, 1:50*pm, Marc Schlensog wrote:
    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > I am still sitting on my DS20e with one broken PSU (for two years now).
    > Since it would make my heart bleed to sell/scrap it, I did some
    > research and found out that the mainboard seems to be identical to the
    > 264DP. Now, what I was wondering: I got the impression that the 264DP
    > can be fired up with an industry standard (TM) ATX PSU with 600W+.
    > Is this correct? If so, what is necessary to make them work? The power
    > connectors on the 264DP don't seem to match what an ATX PSU is
    > providing (i.e. 20/24+4 pins on ATX vs. 24+8 [or even 16?] pins on the
    > mainboard).
    > Can anyone give me some insight?
    >
    > (Yeah, I know it's a bad idea but it's the best I currently have,
    > unless of course someone in Europe has a spare PSU for a DS20e sitting
    > around, collecting dust).
    >
    > b.r.,
    >
    > Marc

    Back when I played with the generic Alpha boards, I had two (a
    Cabriolet, 275MHz EV45, and some kind of a 164 board that I can't
    remember the name of) with funky power supply requirements. The
    Cabriolet ended up working with a power supply from an IBM PowerPC
    based workstation (same connectors even though I had to modify a
    couple of the guide lockouts on the cable ends themselves). The other
    board matched up to an IBM Power based small server with very minor
    tweaks (cable extenders if I remember correctly).

    I have no idea if that commonality ran to newer boards like yours but
    it might be worth checking for IBM tech info and see if one of their P/
    Ss will work; might be easier to find in the aftermarket or used.

+ Reply to Thread