DECHub 900 and 900CG Configuration Questions - DEC

This is a discussion on DECHub 900 and 900CG Configuration Questions - DEC ; Hi there. I have a series of configuration questions in setting up the 900CG and the DECHub 900. This thread is related to the "900CG Configuration and Installation Manual" thread. In the HubManager (in the DECHub 900), you can configure ...

  1. DECHub 900 and 900CG Configuration Questions

    Hi there. I have a series of configuration questions in setting up the
    900CG and the DECHub 900. This thread is related to the "900CG
    Configuration and Installation Manual" thread.

    In the HubManager (in the DECHub 900), you can configure the in-band
    IP address for each slot. However, the modules itself has an in-band
    IP address to configure. So:
    1) If the 900CG is in Slot 1, and I configure Slot 1 IP address to be
    192.168.250.181/24 (class C subnet mask), do I configure the 900CG in-
    band IP address to be 192.168.250.182/24?

    2) What are the default gateways (in the DECHub 900 and 900CG)
    respectively? Each other or an IP address external to the DECHub 900
    (like to a router)?

    Thanks in advanced.

    P.S. The idea is to have routing configured between the 900CG and the
    900EF, which is in Slot2. I do not have any documentation which
    provides any examples on transparent bridging or routing using the
    DECHub 900. I do have docs on the command references (not complete,
    but I should be able to fill-in the gaps via the "?" help at the
    CONFIG prompt). These references were provide from a helpful poster as
    noted in the other discussion thread that I mentioned earlier.

  2. Re: DECHub 900 and 900CG Configuration Questions

    On 15 okt, 05:10, treet007 wrote:
    > Hi there. I have a series of configuration questions in setting up the
    > 900CG and the DECHub 900. This thread is related to the "900CG
    > Configuration and Installation Manual" thread.
    >
    > In the HubManager (in the DECHub 900), you can configure the in-band
    > IP address for each slot. However, the modules itself has an in-band
    > IP address to configure. So:
    > 1) If the 900CG is in Slot 1, and I configure Slot 1 IP address to be
    > 192.168.250.181/24 (class C subnet mask), do I configure the 900CG in-
    > band IP address to be 192.168.250.182/24?
    >
    > 2) What are the default gateways (in the DECHub 900 and 900CG)
    > respectively? Each other or an IP address external to the DECHub 900
    > (like to a router)?
    >
    > Thanks in advanced.
    >
    > P.S. The idea is to have routing configured between the 900CG and the
    > 900EF, which is in Slot2. I do not have any documentation which
    > provides any examples on transparent bridging or routing using the
    > DECHub 900. I do have docs on the command references (not complete,
    > but I should be able to fill-in the gaps via the "?" help at the
    > CONFIG prompt). These references were provide from a helpful poster as
    > noted in the other discussion thread that I mentioned earlier.

    I'm not sure you can set up routing between those modules without the
    assistance of another (external) router, say a Cisco.
    DEC firmly believed in switched LAN's. Since these IP addresses are
    only meant for SNMP purposes I see no advantage to put devices in
    different slots in different IP networks. You could put all network
    devices, hubs and devices, in one IP network including the SNMP
    monitoring system(s). Without a route to other IP networks you have
    some sort of security because regular users can't connect to network
    equipment and "improve" on the settings.
    Hans

  3. Re: DECHub 900 and 900CG Configuration Questions

    On Oct 18, 7:06*am, H Vlems wrote:
    > On 15 okt, 05:10, treet007 wrote:
    >

    > > Hi there. I have a series of configuration questions in setting up the
    > > 900CG and the DECHub 900. This thread is related to the "900CG
    > > Configuration and Installation Manual" thread.

    > > In the HubManager (in the DECHub 900), you can configure the in-band
    > > IP address for each slot. However, the modules itself has an in-band
    > > IP address to configure. So:
    > > 1) If the 900CG is in Slot 1, and I configure Slot 1 IP address to be
    > > 192.168.250.181/24 (class C subnet mask), do I configure the 900CG in-
    > > band IP address to be 192.168.250.182/24?

    > > 2) What are the default gateways (in the DECHub 900 and 900CG)
    > > respectively? Each other or an IP address external to the DECHub 900
    > > (like to a router)?

    > > Thanks in advanced.

    > > P.S. The idea is to have routing configured between the 900CG and the
    > > 900EF, which is in Slot2. I do not have any documentation which
    > > provides any examples on transparent bridging or routing using the
    > > DECHub 900. I do have docs on the command references (not complete,
    > > but I should be able to fill-in the gaps via the "?" help at the
    > > CONFIG prompt). These references were provide from a helpful poster as
    > > noted in the other discussion thread that I mentioned earlier.

    > I'm not sure you can set up routing between those modules without the
    > assistance of another (external) router, say a Cisco.
    > DEC firmly believed in switched LAN's. Since these IP addresses are
    > only meant for SNMP purposes I see no advantage to put devices in
    > different slots in different IP networks. You could put all network
    > devices, hubs and devices, in one IP network including the SNMP
    > monitoring system(s). Without a route to other IP networks you have
    > some sort of security because regular users can't connect to network
    > equipment and "improve" on the settings.
    > Hans- Hide quoted text -

    Hi Hans. The following URL has the PDF for the 900EF Router.

    http://www.xenya.si/sup/info/digital...K/DEFBADNB.PDF

    It states in the beginning, "The DECswitch 900EF Router (also referred
    to in this manual as the module) provides multiprotocol routing and
    switching. This module interconnects networks that have both routable
    and nonroutable protocols. It routes some protocols while switching
    others."

    So this is what I assumed that the DECHub 900 with the 900EFs can be a
    network router in addition to a switch. However, I need examples on
    how the DECHub is supposed to be configured to do bridging/switching
    or routing. Hence my confusion...

+ Reply to Thread