AS 8200 5/625 fan is LOUD - DEC

This is a discussion on AS 8200 5/625 fan is LOUD - DEC ; I was given a fully functional AS 8200 (4 cpu, 8 gig ram) that I have got happily running vms 8.3. Because of its size and noise I have had to leave it at my work to tinker with. I ...

  1. AS 8200 5/625 fan is LOUD

    I was given a fully functional AS 8200 (4 cpu, 8 gig ram) that I have got
    happily running vms 8.3.
    Because of its size and noise I have had to leave it at my work to tinker with.
    I have found a home for it in my mothers semi-unheated garage close to a 220V
    outlet.
    However it will be right under here bedroom and I think that the noise of the
    big cooling fan will be bothersome especially in the quiet of night.

    Given that if I can't eventually take it home it will end up in the scrap
    yard...
    will it still run if I cut the power to the big fan?
    is there some circuit somewhere that says... no fan no run?
    any way to slow it down so it is quieter?
    or will it happily run until one day it overheats and dies?

    Any insight would be appreciated.

    ps. anybody ever got one to run on 110V?

  2. Re: AS 8200 5/625 fan is LOUD

    In article , "Scott" writes:

    > Given that if I can't eventually take it home it will end up in the scrap
    > yard...
    > will it still run if I cut the power to the big fan?
    > is there some circuit somewhere that says... no fan no run?
    > any way to slow it down so it is quieter?
    > or will it happily run until one day it overheats and dies?

    Most big machines have an airflow sensor switch. You can overcome
    that and happily release the magic smoke that makes it all work.

    Or you can add some ordinary fiberglass insulation between the sound
    source and the sleeper. Makes good, cheap, sound insulation. I
    understand lead sheets (on the ceiling, not the bed 8-)) are pretty
    good at it, too.

  3. Re: AS 8200 5/625 fan is LOUD

    I would not disconnect the cooling fan on any name brand computer. Fans are
    there to cool the system. Odds are that if you disconnected to fan, the system
    would not boot, to protect itself.

    The noise comes from excessive vibration, caused by the fan's rotation. If the
    fan is mounted with screws, you might be successful substituting rubber/neoprene
    grommets. IBM, even in the last days when they sold otherwise cheaply made
    personal computers, attached the secondary cooling fan to the chassis with
    rubber grommets. The result was a system made of really cheap parts (You could
    cut yourself on the sheet metal chassis, and the motherboard mfr, MSI, for IBM
    was noted for exploding capacitors.) but quiet running... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 22:22:18 -0700, "Scott" wrote:

    >I was given a fully functional AS 8200 (4 cpu, 8 gig ram) that I have got
    >happily running vms 8.3.
    >Because of its size and noise I have had to leave it at my work to tinker with.
    >I have found a home for it in my mothers semi-unheated garage close to a 220V
    >outlet.
    >However it will be right under here bedroom and I think that the noise of the
    >big cooling fan will be bothersome especially in the quiet of night.
    >
    >Given that if I can't eventually take it home it will end up in the scrap
    >yard...
    >will it still run if I cut the power to the big fan?
    >is there some circuit somewhere that says... no fan no run?
    >any way to slow it down so it is quieter?
    >or will it happily run until one day it overheats and dies?
    >
    >Any insight would be appreciated.
    >
    >ps. anybody ever got one to run on 110V?

+ Reply to Thread