alpha ws 433au and 8.3 - DEC

This is a discussion on alpha ws 433au and 8.3 - DEC ; Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can install 8.3 on this machine? it is just sitting at a screen that says openvms... I am guessing it can't read the cd oops probably dvd... thanks paul...

  1. alpha ws 433au and 8.3

    Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can install 8.3 on this
    machine? it is just sitting at a screen that says openvms... I am
    guessing it can't read the cd oops probably dvd...

    thanks
    paul

  2. Re: alpha ws 433au and 8.3

    In article <8a605f7c-5630-4769-ad6e-81d84b053ee7@a18g2000pra.googlegroups.com>, "pcoviello@gmail.com" writes:
    > Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can install 8.3 on this
    > machine? it is just sitting at a screen that says openvms... I am
    > guessing it can't read the cd oops probably dvd...

    Do I understand you correctly? You booted the OpenVMS install CD
    and it hung after the OS announced itself?

    Most likely it's having some problem scanning the I/O busses. Try
    disconnecting a few things.

  3. Re: alpha ws 433au and 8.3

    On 19 sep, 17:22, "pcovie...@gmail.com" wrote:
    > Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can install 8.3 on this
    > machine? it is just sitting at a screen that says openvms... I am
    > guessing it can't read the cd oops probably dvd...
    >
    > thanks
    > paul

    Google for VMS and Multia. There is no support for the Multia in VMS
    but a kind soul
    wrote the required components to boot VMS V7.2 and get it installed.
    AFAIK the 433au
    has the same challenges as the Multia when it comes to booting VMS.
    See also : http://home.zonnet.nl/hvlems (search for Multia)
    Note that this particular kit was written for VMS V7.2 though I
    managed to get V7.3 running
    (not for desire but for the lack of a V7.2 VMS kit).
    Hans

  4. Re: alpha ws 433au and 8.3

    On Sep 19, 8:53 pm, H Vlems wrote:
    > On 19 sep, 17:22, "pcovie...@gmail.com" wrote:
    >
    > > Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can install 8.3 on this
    > > machine? it is just sitting at a screen that says openvms... I am
    > > guessing it can't read the cd oops probably dvd...

    > > thanks
    > > paul

    > Google for VMS and Multia. There is no support for the Multia in VMS
    > but a kind soul
    > wrote the required components to boot VMS V7.2 and get it installed.
    > AFAIK the 433au
    > has the same challenges as the Multia when it comes to booting VMS.
    > See also :http://home.zonnet.nl/hvlems(search for Multia)
    > Note that this particular kit was written for VMS V7.2 though I
    > managed to get V7.3 running
    > (not for desire but for the lack of a V7.2 VMS kit).
    > Hans

    Not correct. The CPU in a Multia is a 21066, and (as you say) Multia
    is not really supported by VMS (though the 21066-based close relative
    the Tadpole Alphabook is, or was, on the supported list).

    The PWS 433au, aka MiataGL (?), was (and is?) officially supported by
    VMS, so if it don't work, it probably should (caveats below). The CPU
    is a 21164 family member. Unfortunately I can't find a Systems and
    Options entry for the PWS right now, which is a shame.

    One thing to note is that the PWS family were sold for VMS, Unix
    (Tru64) or NT. Not all peripherals (SCSI adapters, graphics, etc) were
    supported by all OSes. Eg a system sold/used for NT may well not have
    the right options for use with VMS. A suitable Software Product
    Description for the relevant VMS version should describe what hardware
    is supported with what options.

    The PWS owner may also wish to check that the firmware is reasonably
    up to date.

    The PWS owner may also wish to look for a part number on a label on
    the system unit, as it may help provide relevant advice specific to
    the particular model. A "Golden Eggs" page for some PWS models,
    including some part numbers and peripheral details, is at
    http://h18002.www1.hp.com/info/GEBPW4/GEBPW4PF.PDF

    I also vaguely recollect that the PWS had a PCI-PCI bridge. Sometimes
    there can be issues with card positioning when bridges are used. Life
    seemed to be easiest when important cards were on the local-to-the-CPU
    side of the bridge; that's not always possible, but is another reason
    for getting firmware up to date (early firmware didn't always do the
    right thing with bridges).

    There may well be other reasons for the boot failure, but once the
    above have been checked, the folks on comp.os.vms are likely to be
    able to help.

    Regards
    John

  5. Re: alpha ws 433au and 8.3

    On Sep 20, 1:24*am, Malcolm Dunnett wrote:
    > H Vlems wrote:
    >
    > > Google for VMS and Multia. There is no support for the Multia in VMS
    > > but a kind soul
    > > wrote the required components to boot VMS V7.2 and get it installed.
    > > AFAIK the 433au
    > > has the same challenges as the Multia when it comes to booting VMS.

    > That doesn't sound right to me. I thought the 433au was specifically
    > supported by VMS (doesn't the "u" on the end signify the "Unix" model,
    > which was also the VMS model?). I know I've installed VMS on several
    > variants of PWS 433 and 500 with no problem.
    >
    > to the OP: can you post specifically what the screen says (I presume
    > it's more than just "OpenVMS"). Are you using the keyboard/monitor or a
    > serial console? Is the "console" environment variable set accordingly
    > (what does "show console" at the ">>>" prompt say?)

    You are correct, the Multia is a different design than the 433au.
    The OP mentioned that booting off a VMS cd was possible, but would
    halt
    soon after the VMS banner was printed.

    The OP ought to post all console output.

  6. Re: alpha ws 433au and 8.3

    pcoviello@gmail.com schrieb:
    > Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can install 8.3 on this
    > machine? it is just sitting at a screen that says openvms... I am
    > guessing it can't read the cd oops probably dvd...

    The 433au is definitely supported by VMS.
    The only problem for the earlier models is the IDE interface for the
    CD/DVD ROM: VMS boot does not support it, so it hangs after the initial
    boot, the symtom You probably see.
    For an initial install You need a SCSI drive, eventually a copy of the
    CD on a hard disk.
    As soon as VMS is on the 433au's hard-disk, it will boot, and then also
    the CD is usable.

    --

    Joseph Huber - http://www.huber-joseph.de

  7. Re: alpha ws 433au and 8.3

    On Sep 20, 2:32*pm, Joseph Huber wrote:
    > pcovie...@gmail.com schrieb:
    >
    > > Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can install 8.3 on this
    > > machine? *it is just sitting at a screen that says openvms... I am
    > > guessing it can't read the cd oops probably dvd...

    > The 433au is definitely supported by VMS.
    > The only problem for the earlier models is the IDE interface for the
    > CD/DVD ROM: VMS boot does not support it, so it hangs after the initial
    > boot, the symtom You probably see.
    > For an initial install You need a SCSI drive, eventually a copy of the
    > CD on a hard disk.
    > As soon as VMS is on the 433au's hard-disk, it will boot, and then also
    > the CD is usable.
    >
    > --
    >
    > * Joseph Huber * -http://www.huber-joseph.de

    Would the 433au boot over ethernet?

  8. Re: alpha ws 433au and 8.3

    H Vlems schrieb:

    > Would the 433au boot over ethernet?

    Yes of course, it can be part of a NI cluster, or boot from a LAD server
    (Infoserver) for e.g. firmware upgrade (and possibly VMS installation?,
    I'm not sure).

    --

    Joseph Huber - http://www.huber-joseph.de

  9. Re: alpha ws 433au and 8.3

    On Sep 19, 11:22*am, "pcovie...@gmail.com"
    wrote:
    > Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can install 8.3 on this
    > machine? *it is just sitting at a screen that says openvms... I am
    > guessing it can't read the cd oops probably dvd...
    >
    > thanks
    > paul

    hi this was running I believe at one point at least 7 something... I
    just can't remember how... :-( it was one of our test alphas that
    hasn't been touched in years so I now have it!

    it's not seeing the install dvd at all and is sitting at the prompt to
    boot vms! but the hd has nothing on it...

    any idea on how to get it on a hd?

    thanks

  10. Re: alpha ws 433au and 8.3

    On 21 sep, 02:41, "pcovie...@gmail.com" wrote:
    > On Sep 19, 11:22*am, "pcovie...@gmail.com"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can install 8.3 on this
    > > machine? *it is just sitting at a screen that says openvms... I am
    > > guessing it can't read the cd oops probably dvd...

    > > thanks
    > > paul

    > hi this was running I believe at one point at least 7 something... I
    > just can't remember how... :-( *it was one of our test alphas that
    > hasn't been touched in years so I now have it!
    >
    > it's not seeing the install dvd at all and is sitting at the prompt to
    > boot vms! but the hd has nothing on it...
    >
    > any idea on how to get it on a hd?
    >
    > thanks

    A summary of what has been suggested so far:
    - connect a SCSI CD-rom drive and instal from cd
    - boot over ethernet into a network cluster and copy the VMS kit to a
    local harddisk
    (you'd need two disks on the 433au to make this work, and another
    Alpha)
    - use an 8 mm or 4mm tape drive on the SCSI bus and restore an image
    backup

    My own mistaken post apart, it seems that there are no restrictions
    for the VMS version.
    So V7.3 or V8.3 will work. Now if you want a CD for those, visit my
    home page and send me a mail
    and we'll work something out.
    Hans

  11. Re: alpha ws 433au and 8.3

    pcoviello@gmail.com schrieb:

    > hi this was running I believe at one point at least 7 something... I
    > just can't remember how... :-( it was one of our test alphas that
    > hasn't been touched in years so I now have it!
    >
    > it's not seeing the install dvd at all and is sitting at the prompt to
    > boot vms! but the hd has nothing on it...
    >
    > any idea on how to get it on a hd?

    All that reminds me of the trouble I had with a PWS 500au.
    It came with an IDE CD-ROM, this doesn't work with VMS,
    at least not for booting. Connect an external SCSI CD-ROM
    (preferrably some of the better ones, Plextor comes to mind,
    or even an original RRDxx) and it will boot 7.x off CD.
    (I don't remember 7.x came on DVD).

  12. Re: alpha ws 433au and 8.3

    pcoviello@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Sep 19, 11:22 am, "pcovie...@gmail.com"
    > wrote:
    >> Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can install 8.3 on this
    >> machine? it is just sitting at a screen that says openvms... I am
    >> guessing it can't read the cd oops probably dvd...
    >>
    >> thanks
    >> paul

    > hi this was running I believe at one point at least 7 something... I
    > just can't remember how... :-( it was one of our test alphas that
    > hasn't been touched in years so I now have it!
    >
    > it's not seeing the install dvd at all and is sitting at the prompt to
    > boot vms! but the hd has nothing on it...
    >
    > any idea on how to get it on a hd?
    >
    > thanks

    Hi,

    Late answer, but if you still have the problem at hand, maybe I can help
    a bit.

    Can you post the output of the command:

    >>> show config

    That will reveal if you have the version of PWS 433au, which IDE chip is
    not supported for booting VMS.
    In that case the best option would be to find a CD drive with a SCSI
    interface.

    VMS supports all the PWS's, but like said one of the IDE chips doesn't
    support booting. After VMS is booted, you can use the IDE CD drive.

    Regards,

    Kari

+ Reply to Thread