Re: Correctable ECC errors on ES45 - DEC

This is a discussion on Re: Correctable ECC errors on ES45 - DEC ; Malcolm Dunnett wrote: > I have an ES45 with 16GB of memory ( four 4GB Dataram kits ). > > When I run the memtest of sys_exer (from the >>>) > on it I get some Correctable ECC errors. > ...

  1. Re: Correctable ECC errors on ES45

    Malcolm Dunnett wrote:
    > I have an ES45 with 16GB of memory ( four 4GB Dataram kits ).
    >
    > When I run the memtest of sys_exer (from the >>>)
    > on it I get some Correctable ECC errors.
    >
    > There's not a lot of them, but I'm used to not seeing
    > any. I ran the test for about 12 hours (approximately
    > 2500 passes) and I had a dozen or so errors, calling
    > out four different boards.
    >
    > In an earlier run there was a burst of several dozen errors
    > on one chip (not sure exactly how many, it overflowed the
    > scrollback buffer of the terminal emulator I was using), but then
    > they went away (does memtest perhaps read a location
    > multiple times before writing to it again? ).
    >
    > Anyway, what's your feeling about this amount of
    > errors: is it normal, ok or unacceptable in
    > your estimation?
    >
    > Memtest reports 0 soft errors on the memory, doesn't
    > a correctable ECC error count as a "soft error"?
    >
    > ps, the ES45 has four 1GHz CPUs, in case that
    > makes a difference.

    Errors, soft or hard, are not acceptable!

    Pick up the phone and call Dataram!! Explain your problem, and then do
    what they tell you to do. I believe that Dataram is pretty good about
    this sort of thing!

  2. Re: Correctable ECC errors on ES45

    On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 12:05:05 -0700, Richard B. Gilbert
    wrote:

    > Pick up the phone and call Dataram!! Explain your problem, and then do
    > what they tell you to do. I believe that Dataram is pretty good about
    > this sort of thing!

    They will likely ask if you reseated the DIMMs and the boards. Did you?

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

+ Reply to Thread