VERY Old RDB Manuals (V2.3) wanted! - DEC

This is a discussion on VERY Old RDB Manuals (V2.3) wanted! - DEC ; RDB V2.3 (or any other Version 2.x or 3.x) manuals wanted to borrow, buy oder trade for hobbyist use. Genuine manuals, copies or files (pdf/tiff/...), anything is welcome! Regards Ulli...

  1. VERY Old RDB Manuals (V2.3) wanted!

    RDB V2.3 (or any other Version 2.x or 3.x) manuals wanted to borrow,
    buy oder trade for hobbyist use.
    Genuine manuals, copies or files (pdf/tiff/...), anything is welcome!

    Regards

    Ulli

  2. Re: VERY Old RDB Manuals (V2.3) wanted!

    P.S.

    Theese are the manuals wanted:

    AA-GQ93D-TE VAX RDB/VMS Release Notes
    AA-JK92A-TE VAX Info Introduction to Database Development
    AA-JK93A-TE VAX Info Introduction to Application Development
    AA-JL07A-TE VAX RDB/VMS RDML Reference Manual
    AA-KN51A-TE VAX RDB/VMS RDML Pocket Guide
    AA-N032F-TE VAX RDB/VMS Installation Guide
    AA-N033D-TE VAX RDB/VMS Pocket Guide
    AA-N034B-TE VAX RDB/VMS Guide to Database Design and Definition
    AA-N035C-TE VAX RDB/VMS Guide to Database Administration and
    Maintenance
    AA-N036C-TE VAX RDB/VMS Guide to Data Manipulation
    AA-N038C-TE VAX RDB/VMS Guide to Programming
    AA-N039D-TE VAX RDB/VMS Reference Manual
    AD-N032F-T1 VAX RDB/VMS Installation Guide Update
    AV-HX12B-TE VAX Info Doc Brochure
    AV-N037E-TE VAX RDB/VMS Before you Install Letter

  3. Re: VERY Old RDB Manuals (V2.3) wanted!

    On Jul 28, 10:48*am, vaxorcist wrote:
    > P.S.
    >
    > Theese are the manuals wanted:
    >
    > AA-GQ93D-TE VAX RDB/VMS Release Notes
    > AA-JK92A-TE VAX Info Introduction to Database Development
    > AA-JK93A-TE VAX Info Introduction to Application Development
    > AA-JL07A-TE VAX RDB/VMS RDML Reference Manual
    > AA-KN51A-TE VAX RDB/VMS RDML Pocket Guide
    > AA-N032F-TE VAX RDB/VMS Installation Guide
    > AA-N033D-TE VAX RDB/VMS Pocket Guide
    > AA-N034B-TE VAX RDB/VMS Guide to Database Design and Definition
    > AA-N035C-TE VAX RDB/VMS Guide to Database Administration and
    > Maintenance
    > AA-N036C-TE VAX RDB/VMS Guide to Data Manipulation
    > AA-N038C-TE VAX RDB/VMS Guide to Programming
    > AA-N039D-TE VAX RDB/VMS Reference Manual
    > AD-N032F-T1 VAX RDB/VMS Installation Guide Update
    > AV-HX12B-TE VAX Info Doc Brochure
    > AV-N037E-TE VAX RDB/VMS Before you Install Letter

    Do you know the timeframe for those releases? The oldest I have here
    on hand is the November 1992 CONDOC kit and it covers Rdb V4.1. I
    _might_ have a few older ones but only going back a year or two more,
    in storage. As in its a pain in the rear to get at them and I won't
    try if the 2.x or 3.x availability dates are before early 1990...

    Rich

  4. Re: VERY Old RDB Manuals (V2.3) wanted!

    Rich Jordan wrote:
    > As in its a pain in the rear to get at them and I won't
    > try if the 2.x or 3.x availability dates are before early 1990...

    The release note for 3.0 is Jul, 1988 and the earliest manuals I see
    from the DEC archives at CHM are 1985.

    Were they putting docs for layered products on documentation CDs this
    early?

  5. Re: VERY Old RDB Manuals (V2.3) wanted!

    "vaxorcist" wrote in message
    > RDB V2.3 (or any other Version 2.x or 3.x) manuals wanted to borrow,
    > buy oder trade for hobbyist use.
    > Genuine manuals, copies or files (pdf/tiff/...), anything is welcome!

    You won't want to use version 2.x or 3.x unless you really have to. There
    was an 80% improvment in performance between version 3.0 and 4.1. See:
    "How the Rdb/VMS Data Sharing System Became Fast (1992) "
    by David Lomet Rick Anderson T. K. Rengarajan Peter Spiro

    I can probably find manuals for 4.0 and above somewhere. I have all Rdb
    versions from 4.0 up to modern versions.

  6. Re: VERY Old RDB Manuals (V2.3) wanted!

    Al Kossow wrote in news:g6kviu$1am$1
    @registered.motzarella.org:

    > Rich Jordan wrote:
    >> As in its a pain in the rear to get at them and I won't
    >> try if the 2.x or 3.x availability dates are before early 1990...

    > The release note for 3.0 is Jul, 1988 and the earliest manuals I see
    > from the DEC archives at CHM are 1985.
    >
    > Were they putting docs for layered products on documentation CDs this
    > early?

    FWIW: My earliest Consolidated Software CD is May 1989.

    Antonio

  7. Re: VERY Old RDB Manuals (V2.3) wanted!

    On Jul 28, 7:18 pm, Rich Jordan wrote:

    > Do you know the timeframe for those releases? The oldest I have here
    > on hand is the November 1992 CONDOC kit and it covers Rdb V4.1. I
    > _might_ have a few older ones but only going back a year or two more,
    > in storage. As in its a pain in the rear to get at them and I won't
    > try if the 2.x or 3.x availability dates are before early 1990...
    >
    > Rich

    RDB/VAX V2.3 release date is 9/87 (the last RDB version to work under
    VMS V4.x).
    But nevertheless thanks for considering to dig out old manuals ...

    Regards,

    Ulli

  8. Re: VERY Old RDB Manuals (V2.3) wanted!

    On Jul 28, 7:27 pm, Al Kossow wrote:

    > The release note for 3.0 is Jul, 1988 and the earliest manuals I see
    > from the DEC archives at CHM are 1985.
    >
    > Were they putting docs for layered products on documentation CDs this
    > early?

    What are the "DEC archives at CHM"?
    Is it anything available online or otherwise?

    Regards,

    Ulli

  9. Re: VERY Old RDB Manuals (V2.3) wanted!

    "vaxorcist" wrote in message
    > On Jul 28, 7:27 pm, Al Kossow wrote:
    >
    >> The release note for 3.0 is Jul, 1988 and the earliest manuals I see
    >> from the DEC archives at CHM are 1985.

    > What are the "DEC archives at CHM"?

    Google is your friend:
    http://www.decconnection.org/computermuseum.pdf
    --
    David Biddulph

  10. Re: VERY Old RDB Manuals (V2.3) wanted!

    On Jul 29, 11:49*am, vaxorcist wrote:
    > On Jul 28, 7:18 pm, Rich Jordan wrote:
    >
    > > Do you know the timeframe for those releases? *The oldest I have here
    > > on hand is the November 1992 CONDOC kit and it covers Rdb V4.1. *I
    > > _might_ have a few older ones but only going back a year or two more,
    > > in storage. *As in its a pain in the rear to get at them and I won't
    > > try if the 2.x or 3.x availability dates are before early 1990...

    > > Rich

    > RDB/VAX V2.3 release date is 9/87 (the last RDB version to work under
    > VMS V4.x).
    > But nevertheless thanks for considering to dig out old manuals ...
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Ulli

    Ulli,
    sorry, but that is definitely earlier than anything I have in
    storage. I have one or two of the kits that DEC sent out in plastic
    CD folders (looked like floppy disk cases) before they moved to the
    early pasteboard folders but I think they're from late '89 at the
    absolute earliest.

    Actually those may be more accessible since they didn't fit in
    the box with the pasteboard ones. I'll check if I can.

    Rich

  11. Re: VERY Old RDB Manuals (V2.3) wanted!

    On Jul 27, 11:45*am, vaxorcist wrote:
    > RDB V2.3 (or any other Version 2.x or 3.x) manuals wanted to borrow,
    > buy oder trade for hobbyist use.
    > Genuine manuals, copies or files (pdf/tiff/...), anything is welcome!
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Ulli

    Ulli,

    Please send me email on may HP email account.
    thanks
    Sue Skonetski

  12. Re: VERY Old RDB Manuals (V2.3) wanted!

    On 28 Jul., 23:05, "Dann Corbit" wrote:

    > You won't want to use version 2.x or 3.x unless you really have to. There
    > was an 80% improvment in performance between version 3.0 and 4.1. See:
    > "How the Rdb/VMS Data Sharing System Became Fast (1992) "
    > by David Lomet Rick Anderson T. K. Rengarajan Peter Spiro
    >
    > I can probably find manuals for 4.0 and above somewhere. I have all Rdb
    > versions from 4.0 up to modern versions.

    Thank you for the hint on the article about RDB performance.
    I will read it carefully.
    Nevertheless I want to run RDB on OLD VAX hardware using VMS V4 as a
    Hobbyist. So there's no need for speed - it's all for fun!

    Regards

    Ulli

    P.S.
    May I ask for help again when I want to use newer versions (e.g. V4)
    additionally?

  13. Re: VERY Old RDB Manuals (V2.3) wanted!

    On 29 Jul., 20:12, Rich Jordan wrote:
    > Ulli,
    > sorry, but that is definitely earlier than anything I have in
    > storage. I have one or two of the kits that DEC sent out in plastic
    > CD folders (looked like floppy disk cases) before they moved to the
    > early pasteboard folders but I think they're from late '89 at the
    > absolute earliest.
    >
    > Actually those may be more accessible since they didn't fit in
    > the box with the pasteboard ones. I'll check if I can.
    >
    > Rich

    Sounds like RDB V3.x, probably V3.1.
    Would be very nice if you could have a look and check!
    Thank you!

    Regards

    Ulli

  14. Re: VERY Old RDB Manuals (V2.3) wanted!

    "vaxorcist" wrote in message
    > On 28 Jul., 23:05, "Dann Corbit" wrote:
    >
    >> You won't want to use version 2.x or 3.x unless you really have to.
    >> There
    >> was an 80% improvment in performance between version 3.0 and 4.1. See:
    >> "How the Rdb/VMS Data Sharing System Became Fast (1992) "
    >> by David Lomet Rick Anderson T. K. Rengarajan Peter Spiro
    >>
    >> I can probably find manuals for 4.0 and above somewhere. I have all Rdb
    >> versions from 4.0 up to modern versions.

    > Thank you for the hint on the article about RDB performance.
    > I will read it carefully.
    > Nevertheless I want to run RDB on OLD VAX hardware using VMS V4 as a
    > Hobbyist. So there's no need for speed - it's all for fun!
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Ulli
    >
    > P.S.
    > May I ask for help again when I want to use newer versions (e.g. V4)
    > additionally?

    Sure, that's what Usenet is for.
    Rdb V 4.2.1 is really the minimum that I would run, since there were so many
    bugs fixed and also the big speedup.
    Consider:
    http://www.sciinc.com/remotedba/tech...nfo/rdb410.asp
    http://www.sciinc.com/remotedba/tech...nfo/rdb411.asp
    http://www.sciinc.com/remotedba/tech...nfo/rdb420.asp
    http://www.sciinc.com/remotedba/tech...nfo/rdb421.asp

    We've got it running on an old VAX running VMS 6.1 here:

    SQL> show version
    Current version of SQL is: VAX SQL V4.2-1
    SQL> attach 'filename cnxdir:connx_rdb_examples';
    SQL> show tables
    User tables in database with filename cnxdir:connx_rdb_examples
    BLOBTEST
    CUSTOMERS
    EQUIPMNT
    EQUIP_VIEW A view.