Probpelm logging into DEC Alpha system. - DEC

This is a discussion on Probpelm logging into DEC Alpha system. - DEC ; I have a problem with a DEC ALPHA 500 au with Digital UNIX V4.0. Not sure it that makes it Ultrix (which I last used in 1987!) or Tru64. I can log in as root no problem. But ANY other ...

  1. Probpelm logging into DEC Alpha system.

    I have a problem with a DEC ALPHA 500 au with Digital UNIX V4.0. Not
    sure it that makes it Ultrix (which I last used in 1987!) or Tru64.

    I can log in as root no problem. But ANY other user generates an error
    along the lines of I don't have enough user licences, even if nobody
    else is logged in. Same from CDE or command line login.

    Can't see anything amiss in the sytem logs but maybe I'm not looking in
    the right places?

    All help urgently welcomed! I'm mainly used to HP-UX.

    Email: john@unixnerd.demon.co.uk, John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
    Web : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
    www.Strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible price

  2. Re: Probpelm logging into DEC Alpha system.

    John Burns wrote:
    > I have a problem with a DEC ALPHA 500 au with Digital UNIX V4.0. Not
    > sure it that makes it Ultrix (which I last used in 1987!) or Tru64.
    >
    > I can log in as root no problem. But ANY other user generates an error
    > along the lines of I don't have enough user licences, even if nobody
    > else is logged in. Same from CDE or command line login.
    >
    > Can't see anything amiss in the sytem logs but maybe I'm not looking in
    > the right places?
    >
    > All help urgently welcomed! I'm mainly used to HP-UX.

    Well I'm VMS user, but I think the LMF behaviour on DECUnix is similar
    to the one on VMS:
    login on the console is only allowed for root (SYSTEM on VMS), if there
    is no system base license allowing at least one user loaded.
    A "man -k license" or "man lmf" should reveal how to show the existing
    licenses, and how to enter the licenses.

    --

    Joseph Huber - http://www.huber-joseph.de

  3. Re: Problem logging into DEC Alpha system.

    John Burns schrieb:
    > I have a problem with a DEC ALPHA 500 au with Digital UNIX V4.0. Not
    > sure it that makes it Ultrix (which I last used in 1987!) or Tru64.

    It's DUX or Tru64. No Ultrix.

    > I can log in as root no problem. But ANY other user generates an error
    > along the lines of I don't have enough user licences, even if nobody
    > else is logged in. Same from CDE or command line login.
    >
    > Can't see anything amiss in the sytem logs but maybe I'm not looking in
    > the right places?

    You need an OSFBASE license PAK to be able to run more than root.
    There's a non-commercial version of it, but the associated
    hobbyist program has long been retired by HP.
    Maybe you can ask here or in comp.unix.tru64 for some kind
    soul to help you (nudge-nudge, wink-wink).

    > All help urgently welcomed! I'm mainly used to HP-UX.

    Plain HP-UX has no PAKs, it's more hobbyist friendly.

  4. Re: Probpelm logging into DEC Alpha system.

    In article <48625E75.199E@unixnerd.demon.co.uk>, John Burns writes:
    > I have a problem with a DEC ALPHA 500 au with Digital UNIX V4.0. Not
    > sure it that makes it Ultrix (which I last used in 1987!) or Tru64.

    Digital UNIX started life as OSF/1 and later was Tru64. Ultrix
    it was not, but both were BSD based.

    > I can log in as root no problem. But ANY other user generates an error
    > along the lines of I don't have enough user licences, even if nobody
    > else is logged in. Same from CDE or command line login.

    Sounds like you have no license installed. root is allowed to log
    in anyhow so you can enter licenses. Once upon a time there was
    a hobbyist program where you could get a license for $99, but I'm
    pretty sure that died.

    You may be able to get a version of Linux, or someother free UNIX-ish
    OS that runs on it. Or you could try VMS, where the hobbyist
    licenses are free.

+ Reply to Thread