pdp-10 for sale - DEC

This is a discussion on pdp-10 for sale - DEC ; I've finally gone and done it: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150256074674 Don't really want to, but if a deep-pocket collector decides to bite, it's gone. Mike -- http://www.corestore.org 'As I walk along these shores I am the history within'...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

  1. pdp-10 for sale

    I've finally gone and done it:

    --
    http://www.corestore.org
    'As I walk along these shores

  2. Re: pdp-10 for sale

    Mike Ross skrev:
    > I've finally gone and done it:
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150256074674
    >
    > Don't really want to, but if a deep-pocket collector decides to bite, it's gone.
    >
    > Mike

    Hmm, that isn't a -2065, is it? It's blue... Shouldn't that be something like a
    -1099 or whatever they were called then?

    Johnny

    --
    Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
    || on a psychedelic trip
    email: bqt@softjar.se || Reading murder books

  3. Re: pdp-10 for sale

    On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 23:00:43 +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:

    >Mike Ross skrev:
    >> I've finally gone and done it:
    >>
    >> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150256074674
    >>
    >> Don't really want to, but if a deep-pocket collector decides to bite, it's gone.
    >>
    >> Mike

    >Hmm, that isn't a -2065, is it? It's blue... Shouldn't that be something like a
    >-1099 or whatever they were called then?

    Johnny,

    Read my webpage:

    http://www.corestore.org/DEC2065.htm

    There's an interesting story as to why it's blue... if you scrape off the blue,
    it's orange beneath :-)

    Mike
    --
    http://www.corestore.org
    'As I walk along these shores

  4. Re: pdp-10 for sale

    Mike Ross skrev:
    > On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 23:00:43 +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
    >
    >> Mike Ross skrev:
    >>> I've finally gone and done it:
    >>>
    >>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150256074674
    >>>
    >>> Don't really want to, but if a deep-pocket collector decides to bite, it's gone.
    >>>
    >>> Mike

    >> Hmm, that isn't a -2065, is it? It's blue... Shouldn't that be something like a
    >> -1099 or whatever they were called then?

    > Johnny,
    >
    > Read my webpage:
    >
    > http://www.corestore.org/DEC2065.htm
    >
    > There's an interesting story as to why it's blue... if you scrape off the blue,
    > it's orange beneath :-)

    Wow. That was a really weird story. Thanks! :-)

    Johnny

    --
    Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
    || on a psychedelic trip
    email: bqt@softjar.se || Reading murder books

  5. Re: pdp-10 for sale

    In article , Johnny Billquist writes:

    > Wow. That was a really weird story. Thanks! :-)

    We had a 2050 and a 2060 both in blue cabinets. To my knowledge
    those two were never orange.

  6. Re: pdp-10 for sale

    Bob Koehler skrev:
    > In article , Johnny Billquist writes:
    >> Wow. That was a really weird story. Thanks! :-)
    >>

    > We had a 2050 and a 2060 both in blue cabinets. To my knowledge
    > those two were never orange.

    Weird. I was pretty sure that blue cabinets meant it was -10xx where xx were
    some high number.

    We still have two KL10s at Update. Both are -2060s, and both are orange.
    Stacken, at KTH in Stockholm, have a bunch of blue KL10s. All are DECsystem-10
    machine. There are (were?) also a few orange ones, and those were DECSYSTEM-20
    machines.

    But maybe my sample still was too small to actually tell. I would guess the
    total number of KL machines I've inspected are no more than 10.

    Hmm, come to think of it. Do anyone know if all KS machines were orange, or did
    they also come in two colors?

    Johnny

    --
    Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
    || on a psychedelic trip
    email: bqt@softjar.se || Reading murder books

  7. Re: pdp-10 for sale

    In article , koehler@eisner.nospam.encompasserve.org (Bob Koehler) writes:

    > We had a 2050 and a 2060 both in blue cabinets. To my knowledge
    > those two were never orange.

    As I recall, I was at a VMS SIG presentation by someone high up
    in VMS management (the VP?), we he joked "and we'll port VMS
    to those 36 bit machines just as soon as they paint them blue",
    or words to that affect.

    I was tempted to step up at the Q&A and offer to load VMS on my
    blue -20's just as soon as he finished the port.

    I think later PDP-10 line was just put into whatever cabinet DEC
    had handy, but most were sold in orange prior to the first ship of
    blue VAXen.

    And now I have to move a rack with no DEC equipment inside, but a
    familiar purple panel on top.

  8. Re: pdp-10 for sale

    Johnny Billquist wrote:
    > Hmm, come to think of it. Do anyone know if all KS machines were orange,
    > or did they also come in two colors?

    I'm pretty sure that the ADP On-site KS were some sort of brown.

    --
    Pat Farrell
    http://www.pfarrell.com/

  9. Re: pdp-10 for sale

    On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 18:15:47 -0400, Pat Farrell wrote:

    >Johnny Billquist wrote:
    >> Hmm, come to think of it. Do anyone know if all KS machines were orange,
    >> or did they also come in two colors?

    >I'm pretty sure that the ADP On-site KS were some sort of brown.

    I'm pretty sure I've heard the same.

    Wasn't Barb involved in rescuing some??

    Mike
    --
    http://www.corestore.org
    'As I walk along these shores

  10. Re: pdp-10 for sale

    On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 19:34:04 -0400, Mike Ross wrote:

    >On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 18:15:47 -0400, Pat Farrell wrote:
    >
    >>Johnny Billquist wrote:
    >>> Hmm, come to think of it. Do anyone know if all KS machines were orange,
    >>> or did they also come in two colors?

    >>I'm pretty sure that the ADP On-site KS were some sort of brown.

    >I'm pretty sure I've heard the same.
    >
    >Wasn't Barb involved in rescuing some??

    Belay that... it's John Wilson I remember as having some. Bit rot.

    Mike
    --
    http://www.corestore.org
    'As I walk along these shores

  11. Re: pdp-10 for sale

    > We still have two KL10s at Update. Both are -2060s, and both are orange.
    > Stacken, at KTH in Stockholm, have a bunch of blue KL10s. All are
    > DECsystem-10 machine. There are (were?) also a few orange ones, and
    > those were DECSYSTEM-20 machines.

    Do you know if they still have the machines, or if the ended up in Peter
    Löthbergs collection? I tried to get in touch with them(stacken), but
    perhaps I didn't use the proper channels.

    Regards,
    Pontus.

  12. Re: pdp-10 for sale

    Johnny Billquist wrote:
    > Bob Koehler skrev:
    >> In article , Johnny Billquist
    >> writes:
    >>> Wow. That was a really weird story. Thanks! :-)
    >>>

    >> We had a 2050 and a 2060 both in blue cabinets. To my knowledge
    >> those two were never orange.

    > Weird. I was pretty sure that blue cabinets meant it was -10xx where xx
    > were some high number.
    >
    > We still have two KL10s at Update. Both are -2060s, and both are orange.

    Now check the pricing. DEC customers figured out that they could buy
    20 hardware and run their -10 OS software base. In addition, if you
    wanted to buy a -10, everybody suddenly went deaf. If you wanted to
    buy a 20, you could buy as many as you wanted...before Digital
    put a hold on all PDP-10 orders.

    /BAH

  13. Re: pdp-10 for sale

    Mike Ross wrote:
    > On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 18:15:47 -0400, Pat Farrell wrote:
    >
    >> Johnny Billquist wrote:
    >>> Hmm, come to think of it. Do anyone know if all KS machines were orange,
    >>> or did they also come in two colors?

    >> I'm pretty sure that the ADP On-site KS were some sort of brown.

    > I'm pretty sure I've heard the same.

    John Everett posted the story about this. They did repaint the skins.
    I never met these systems.

    > Wasn't Barb involved in rescuing some??

    Nope.

    /BAH

  14. Re: pdp-10 for sale

    Mike Ross wrote:
    > On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 19:34:04 -0400, Mike Ross wrote:

    >>> I'm pretty sure that the ADP On-site KS were some sort of brown.

    >> I'm pretty sure I've heard the same.
    >>
    >> Wasn't Barb involved in rescuing some??

    > Belay that... it's John Wilson I remember as having some. Bit rot.

    Transforming ASCII John to ASCII Barb is a tad more than a
    mere rot.

    /BAH

  15. Re: pdp-10 for sale

    On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 07:09:29 -0400, jmfbah wrote:

    >Mike Ross wrote:

    >>> I'm pretty sure I've heard the same.
    >>>
    >>> Wasn't Barb involved in rescuing some??

    >> Belay that... it's John Wilson I remember as having some. Bit rot.

    > Transforming ASCII John to ASCII Barb is a tad more than a
    >mere rot.

    Well I've been playing with the Dark Side recently... maybe it was ASCII to some
    subset of EBCDIC...

    Mike
    --
    http://www.corestore.org
    'As I walk along these shores

  16. Re: pdp-10 for sale

    Pat Farrell wrote:
    > I'm pretty sure that the ADP On-site KS were some sort of brown.

    But only because ADP repainted them.

  17. Re: pdp-10 for sale

    Johnny Billquist writes:

    > Bob Koehler skrev:

    >> We had a 2050 and a 2060 both in blue cabinets. To my knowledge
    >> those two were never orange.

    > Weird. I was pretty sure that blue cabinets meant it was -10xx where xx were
    > some high number.

    The official DEC color scheme for 18- and 36-bit systems (other than the
    DECSYSTEM-20) was shades of blue--at least for the 7, 9, 15, 6, and all models
    of 10. I *think* I've seen a PDP-4 at the Compuer History Museum, but I don't
    remember what color it was for certain--I was looking for a KA10 at the time.

    > We still have two KL10s at Update. Both are -2060s, and both are orange.
    > Stacken, at KTH in Stockholm, have a bunch of blue KL10s. All are
    > DECsystem-10 machine. There are (were?) also a few orange ones, and those
    > were DECSYSTEM-20 machines.

    I'll remind you that the PDPplanet Tops-10 system is a 2065. It's painted
    orange and ran TOPS-20 from its first delivery, to Anistics in Menlo Park
    (well, that part of the Bay Area), through its sojourn at cisco, and on to XKL,
    where after its retirement as the development machine (we had enough Toads
    in-house :-), I tried to put Tops-10 v7.04 on it so we could do development on
    porting that to the Toad-1 System.

    Primary customer lost funding, we canceled the project, and eventually we let
    the 2065 go to its current owner. Where I put Tops-10 v7.04 on it by using the
    KLAD installation instead of the official one.

    > But maybe my sample still was too small to actually tell. I would guess the
    > total number of KL machines I've inspected are no more than 10.

    > Hmm, come to think of it. Do anyone know if all KS machines were orange, or
    > did they also come in two colors?

    From DEC? They were all orange. (And I won't get into the "What is the name
    of the color called?" argument. Thank you, Mr. Dodgson.)

    --
    Rich Alderson "You get what anybody gets. You get a lifetime."
    news@alderson.users.panix.com --Death, of the Endless

  18. Re: pdp-10 for sale

    Rich Alderson wrote:
    > Johnny Billquist writes:
    >

    >>Bob Koehler skrev:

    >>> We had a 2050 and a 2060 both in blue cabinets. To my knowledge
    >>> those two were never orange.

    >>Weird. I was pretty sure that blue cabinets meant it was -10xx where xx were
    >>some high number.

    > The official DEC color scheme for 18- and 36-bit systems (other than the
    > DECSYSTEM-20) was shades of blue--at least for the 7, 9, 15, 6, and all models
    > of 10. I *think* I've seen a PDP-4 at the Compuer History Museum, but I don't
    > remember what color it was for certain--I was looking for a KA10 at the time.

    The psych department at Harvard used to have a PDP-4 (and a PDP-9) in their
    computer lab. I helped a friend implement TECO on it. (I wrote the octal
    and decimal string to integer conversion routines...) I don't remember
    what colors they were, though. I *think* the PDP-4 was silvery (burnished
    aluminum?), but it may have had a dark blue or black front panel (with all
    the toggle switches.) I used the PDP-9 much less, but I vaguely recall it
    being red (maroon?) and orange. IIRC, the PDP-4 looked very similar to
    the PDP-1 in Aiken.

    --
    John Santos
    Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.

  19. Re: pdp-10 for sale

    In article , John Santos writes:

    > The psych department at Harvard used to have a PDP-4 (and a PDP-9) in their
    > computer lab.

    The fist computer I programmed on was a PDP-10. I don't recall
    any orange or blue on the cabinet. It was in tall cabinets, I
    think open-top like a lot of PDP-11 cabinets.

  20. Re: pdp-10 for sale

    Bob Koehler wrote:
    > In article , John Santos writes:
    >> The psych department at Harvard used to have a PDP-4 (and a PDP-9) in their
    >> computer lab.

    > The fist computer I programmed on was a PDP-10. I don't recall
    > any orange or blue on the cabinet. It was in tall cabinets,

    Then it was blue.

    > I think open-top like a lot of PDP-11 cabinets.

    Open-top? I don't know what you mean.

    /BAH

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast