pdp-10 for sale - DEC

This is a discussion on pdp-10 for sale - DEC ; In article , jmfbahciv writes: > >> I think open-top like a lot of PDP-11 cabinets. > > Open-top? I don't know what you mean. The blue and the orange DEC cabinets that I'm familiar with were about 5 feet ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 34 of 34

  1. Re: pdp-10 for sale

    In article , jmfbahciv writes:

    >> I think open-top like a lot of PDP-11 cabinets.

    > Open-top? I don't know what you mean.

    The blue and the orange DEC cabinets that I'm familiar with were
    about 5 feet high (I could just see over them), and had blue or
    orange sheet metal tops that you could sit things on. I recall
    these from DECSYSTEM-10, DECSYSTEM-20, and VAX systems.

    http://research.microsoft.com/~gbell...ine/1976-1.htm
    http://research.microsoft.com/~GBell...ine/1977-3.htm

    PDP-11/70, PDP-15, and many others were in racks over 6 feet tall
    with open tops or fans mounted in the top and you could not sit
    things on top of them.

    http://research.microsoft.com/~gbell...ine/1975-2.htm
    http://research.microsoft.com/~gbell...ine/1969-3.htm

    I think the first PDP-10 I worked on was in cabinets more like the
    latter than the former. I distinctly recall the second in the
    DECSYSTEM-10 arangement more like the former.

  2. Re: pdp-10 for sale

    In article ,
    jmfbahciv wrote:
    >Bob Koehler wrote:
    >> In article , John Santos writes:
    >>> The psych department at Harvard used to have a PDP-4 (and a PDP-9) in their
    >>> computer lab.

    >> The fist computer I programmed on was a PDP-10. I don't recall
    >> any orange or blue on the cabinet. It was in tall cabinets,

    >Then it was blue.

    The dual CPU KA-10 and single KI-10 we had a *very* long time ago
    (early '70s) were black. Other equipment we purchased for the KI had
    blue panels (MH-10 for example).

    Stacken took our KI-10 when we decommisioned it, packed it into a shipping
    container (along with several cases of Coca-Cola) and sent it off to Sweden.
    They got pretty much everything working when it got there.

    --
    Mike Iglesias Email: iglesias@uci.edu
    University of California, Irvine phone: 949-824-6926

  3. Re: pdp-10 for sale

    Rich Alderson wrote:
    > The official DEC color scheme for 18- and 36-bit systems (other than the
    > DECSYSTEM-20) was shades of blue--at least for the 7, 9, 15, 6, and all models
    > of 10. I *think* I've seen a PDP-4 at the Compuer History Museum, but I don't
    > remember what color it was for certain--I was looking for a KA10 at the time.

    The PDP-1, PDP-4, PDP-5, PDP-6, and PDP-7 all used the old-style
    cabinets, with "CAB-n" part numbers, and were all the same shade of
    blue, not so much because they were all 18/36 bit, as because that was
    their standard cabinet color. The rack-mount verion of the original
    PDP-8 (straight-8) was also in an old-style cabinet.

    I think the PDP-9 was the first one to use the H960 family of
    cabinets, and color variations by product or product line started
    appearing around that time. IIRC, the KA10 and KI10 cabinets were
    derived from the H960 design.

  4. Re: pdp-10 for sale

    Bob Koehler wrote:
    > The blue and the orange DEC cabinets that I'm familiar with were
    > about 5 feet high (I could just see over them), and had blue or
    > orange sheet metal tops that you could sit things on. I recall
    > these from DECSYSTEM-10, DECSYSTEM-20, and VAX systems.

    Those were the "corporate" cabinets. Used on all DECSYSTEM-20 machines,
    and later DECsystem-10 machines (1091, 1095). Earlier
    PDP-10s (KA10, KI10, and the 1080 and 1090 KL10 used the tall cabinets.

    > PDP-11/70, PDP-15, and many others were in racks over 6 feet tall
    > with open tops or fans mounted in the top and you could not sit
    > things on top of them.

    I don't think any of them had "open tops", at least not as delivered by DEC.

  5. Re: pdp-10 for sale

    Mike Iglesias wrote:
    > In article ,
    > jmfbahciv wrote:
    >> Bob Koehler wrote:
    >>> The fist computer I programmed on was a PDP-10. I don't recall
    >>> any orange or blue on the cabinet. It was in tall cabinets,

    >> Then it was blue.

    > The dual CPU KA-10 and single KI-10 we had a *very* long time ago
    > (early '70s) were black.

    They had blue skins. Underneath the console table were blue. Skins
    were the the things that could be removed. I think the black that
    you remember was the DECtape drives and the paper tape readers/punches.

    > Other equipment we purchased for the KI had
    > blue panels (MH-10 for example).
    >
    > Stacken took our KI-10 when we decommisioned it, packed it into a shipping
    > container (along with several cases of Coca-Cola) and sent it off to Sweden.
    > They got pretty much everything working when it got there.

    I keep forgetting what I've heard about them. Are they the people who
    had PDP-10s installed in a parking lot?

    /BAH

  6. Re: pdp-10 for sale

    Bob Koehler wrote:
    > In article , jmfbahciv writes:
    >>> I think open-top like a lot of PDP-11 cabinets.

    >> Open-top? I don't know what you mean.

    > The blue and the orange DEC cabinets that I'm familiar with were
    > about 5 feet high (I could just see over them), and had blue or
    > orange sheet metal tops that you could sit things on. I recall
    > these from DECSYSTEM-10, DECSYSTEM-20, and VAX systems.
    >
    > http://research.microsoft.com/~gbell...ine/1976-1.htm
    > http://research.microsoft.com/~GBell...ine/1977-3.htm
    >
    > PDP-11/70, PDP-15, and many others were in racks over 6 feet tall
    > with open tops or fans mounted in the top and you could not sit
    > things on top of them.
    >
    > http://research.microsoft.com/~gbell...ine/1975-2.htm
    > http://research.microsoft.com/~gbell...ine/1969-3.htm
    >
    > I think the first PDP-10 I worked on was in cabinets more like the
    > latter than the former. I distinctly recall the second in the
    > DECSYSTEM-10 arangement more like the former.

    If you could see over them, then they weren't tall cabinets :-). The
    tall cabinets were blue.

    /BAH

  7. Re: pdp-10 for sale

    Eric Smith wrote:
    > Bob Koehler wrote:
    >> The blue and the orange DEC cabinets that I'm familiar with were
    >> about 5 feet high (I could just see over them), and had blue or
    >> orange sheet metal tops that you could sit things on. I recall
    >> these from DECSYSTEM-10, DECSYSTEM-20, and VAX systems.

    > Those were the "corporate" cabinets. Used on all DECSYSTEM-20 machines,
    > and later DECsystem-10 machines (1091, 1095). Earlier
    > PDP-10s (KA10, KI10, and the 1080 and 1090 KL10 used the tall cabinets.
    >
    >> PDP-11/70, PDP-15, and many others were in racks over 6 feet tall
    >> with open tops or fans mounted in the top and you could not sit
    >> things on top of them.

    > I don't think any of them had "open tops", at least not as delivered by DEC.

    I'm unaware of any. Anybody who ran a system without the protective
    grill covering was asking for a million dollar boat anchor.

    You could not set a lot of stuff on top without getting the overtemp
    light to stay on. Then you also had a million dollar boat anchor.

    /BAH

  8. Re: pdp-10 for sale

    > Stacken took our KI-10 when we decommisioned it, packed it into a shipping
    > container (along with several cases of Coca-Cola) and sent it off to Sweden.
    > They got pretty much everything working when it got there.

    It was Cherry Coke right? And some or all of it exploded in transit or
    was that just a joke that became a legend?

  9. Re: pdp-10 for sale

    SDF Poster skrev:
    >> Stacken took our KI-10 when we decommisioned it, packed it into a shipping
    >> container (along with several cases of Coca-Cola) and sent it off to Sweden.
    >> They got pretty much everything working when it got there.

    > It was Cherry Coke right? And some or all of it exploded in transit or
    > was that just a joke that became a legend?

    I think that's legend. I've seen several of the machines, and if cokes would
    have exploded near them I doubt we could have gotten them clean again.

    Johnny

    --
    Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
    || on a psychedelic trip
    email: bqt@softjar.se || Reading murder books

  10. Re: pdp-10 for sale

    Rich Alderson wrote:

    > Johnny Billquist writes:
    >
    >> Bob Koehler skrev:

    >>> We had a 2050 and a 2060 both in blue cabinets. To my knowledge
    >>> those two were never orange.

    >> Weird. I was pretty sure that blue cabinets meant it was -10xx where xx
    >> were some high number.

    > The official DEC color scheme for 18- and 36-bit systems (other than the
    > DECSYSTEM-20) was shades of blue--at least for the 7, 9, 15, 6, and all
    > models
    > of 10. I *think* I've seen a PDP-4 at the Compuer History Museum, but I
    > don't remember what color it was for certain--I was looking for a KA10 at
    > the time.

    I have a '70 in a blue KL cab with blue front panel (console not cabinet)
    labelled DECdataSYSTEM (I think that is the case used). Was this an
    official product line or some hybrid that has been made up. From memory
    the date on the tag was 1979.

    From memory (it's in a container with a KL right now) it came with MK-11
    memory with battery backup and 2 RH70s loaded. I got the machine with a
    pair of RM80 and a pair of RM03.

    Bruce

  11. Re: pdp-10 for sale

    Bruce Cook wrote:
    > I have a '70 in a blue KL cab with blue front panel (console not cabinet)
    > labelled DECdataSYSTEM (I think that is the case used).

    I have one too, but it's not a "KL cab" and has NOTHING to do with the KL10.
    It's just a corporate cabinet similar to that of the tall version of the
    PDP-11/60.

    > Was this an official product line or some hybrid that has been made up.

    It was an "official" product. Typical designation is DECdatasystem 570;
    perhaps there may have been others.

  12. Re: pdp-10 for sale

    "Mike Ross" wrote in message

    > Read my webpage:
    >
    > http://www.corestore.org/DEC2065.htm
    >
    > There's an interesting story as to why it's blue... if you scrape off the
    > blue,
    > it's orange beneath :-)

    Reminds me of a died-in-wool TOPS-10 developer named Stephan Wolf who went
    around spray-painting pumpkins blue.

    Carl

  13. Re: pdp-10 for sale

    In article , eric@brouhaha.com
    says...
    > Bruce Cook wrote:
    > > I have a '70 in a blue KL cab with blue front panel (console not cabinet)
    > > labelled DECdataSYSTEM (I think that is the case used).

    > I have one too, but it's not a "KL cab" and has NOTHING to do with the KL10.
    > It's just a corporate cabinet similar to that of the tall version of the
    > PDP-11/60.
    >
    > > Was this an official product line or some hybrid that has been made up.

    > It was an "official" product. Typical designation is DECdatasystem 570;
    > perhaps there may have been others.

    I had a customer who had two of these they bought on the used market.
    Early 1980's, IIRC.

    One of them came with a traditional maroon front panel, and the DEC FS
    guy who was doing the acceptance testing (so the customer could put them
    on support) ordered a blue front panel for it so it would match the cab.
    There was no reason for this, the front panel worked fine, but it made
    him happy. (My guess is most likely the original front panel broke and
    the original owner got a replacement from spares. Maybe all they had in
    stock were maroon ones, or maybe the previous servicedroid knew it
    didn't make any difference.)

    --
    John

  14. Re: pdp-10 for sale

    John Santos wrote:
    > In article , eric@brouhaha.com
    > says...
    >> Bruce Cook wrote:
    >>> I have a '70 in a blue KL cab with blue front panel (console not cabinet)
    >>> labelled DECdataSYSTEM (I think that is the case used).

    >> I have one too, but it's not a "KL cab" and has NOTHING to do with the KL10.
    >> It's just a corporate cabinet similar to that of the tall version of the
    >> PDP-11/60.
    >>
    >>> Was this an official product line or some hybrid that has been made up.

    >> It was an "official" product. Typical designation is DECdatasystem 570;
    >> perhaps there may have been others.
    >>

    > I had a customer who had two of these they bought on the used market.
    > Early 1980's, IIRC.
    >
    > One of them came with a traditional maroon front panel, and the DEC FS
    > guy who was doing the acceptance testing (so the customer could put them
    > on support) ordered a blue front panel for it so it would match the cab.
    > There was no reason for this, the front panel worked fine, but it made
    > him happy. (My guess is most likely the original front panel broke and
    > the original owner got a replacement from spares. Maybe all they had in
    > stock were maroon ones, or maybe the previous servicedroid knew it
    > didn't make any difference.)

    Do you remember what the customer used the systems for?

    /BAH

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2