Removing a "jammed" tape from a TZ87 - DEC

This is a discussion on Removing a "jammed" tape from a TZ87 - DEC ; I have a TK50 tape in a TZ87 drive that will not unload. The tape is not jammed in the sense that the tape has got mangled in the drive. I am not sure of the best way to get ...

  1. Removing a "jammed" tape from a TZ87

    I have a TK50 tape in a TZ87 drive that will not unload. The tape is not
    jammed in the sense that the tape has got mangled in the drive. I am not
    sure of the best way to get the tape out, I think the key is possibly how to
    release the mechanism that locks the release handle. Can anyone tell me how
    to do this?

    Thanks

    Rob

  2. Re: Removing a "jammed" tape from a TZ87

    Robert Jarratt wrote:
    > I have a TK50 tape in a TZ87 drive that will not unload. The tape is not
    > jammed in the sense that the tape has got mangled in the drive. I am not
    > sure of the best way to get the tape out, I think the key is possibly how to
    > release the mechanism that locks the release handle. Can anyone tell me how
    > to do this?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Rob

    You have to take out the drive from its enclosure (tabletop or inside
    server or whatever) first. So that you have just the drive in your hand.
    Then you need a mid-sized phillips screwdriver with which you need to
    rewind the tape (you'll see when the fixed reel moves) through the hole
    in the bottom of the drive underneath the tape cassette. When you can
    feel that the tape is fully rewinded inside the cassette, carefully push
    backwards the solenoid on the right side of the drive (when the handle
    is towards yourself) and then lift the handle. Do NOT use force!!
    Everything moves easily without forcing when all moving parts are
    correctly positioned.
    Then you should be able to remove the cassette.
    Look at the fixed reel and the tape when rewinding to see that it moves
    normally without sticking. When you get to the end of the tape, you'll
    notice the take-up leader when it follows the end of the tape towards
    the cassette.
    Be careful with every move you do not to damage any delicate parts.

    Good luck!

    Regards,

    Kari

  3. Re: Removing a "jammed" tape from a TZ87

    "Kari Uusimäki" wrote in message
    > Robert Jarratt wrote:
    >> I have a TK50 tape in a TZ87 drive that will not unload. The tape is not
    >> jammed in the sense that the tape has got mangled in the drive. I am not
    >> sure of the best way to get the tape out, I think the key is possibly how
    >> to release the mechanism that locks the release handle. Can anyone tell
    >> me how to do this?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Rob

    > You have to take out the drive from its enclosure (tabletop or inside
    > server or whatever) first. So that you have just the drive in your hand.
    > Then you need a mid-sized phillips screwdriver with which you need to
    > rewind the tape (you'll see when the fixed reel moves) through the hole in
    > the bottom of the drive underneath the tape cassette. When you can feel
    > that the tape is fully rewinded inside the cassette, carefully push
    > backwards the solenoid on the right side of the drive (when the handle is
    > towards yourself) and then lift the handle. Do NOT use force!! Everything
    > moves easily without forcing when all moving parts are correctly
    > positioned.
    > Then you should be able to remove the cassette.
    > Look at the fixed reel and the tape when rewinding to see that it moves
    > normally without sticking. When you get to the end of the tape, you'll
    > notice the take-up leader when it follows the end of the tape towards the
    > cassette.
    > Be careful with every move you do not to damage any delicate parts.
    >
    > Good luck!
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > Kari

    Many thanks for the tips. Having tried this though I have discovered that
    the tape actually *was* jammed but in an odd way. It seemed to be stuck on
    the actual head as it would not run through that part of the tape path when
    I tried gently pulling from both sides. After a bit of gentle pulling I was
    able to free it and then unload the tape using your procedure. Just
    wondering if anyone has ever come across this sort of problem and can
    explain it? Note that there was no mangled tape in that area, it had not
    folded up on itself or anything like that.

    Regards

    Rob

  4. Re: Removing a "jammed" tape from a TZ87

    "Robert Jarratt" wrote in message

    > "Kari Uusimäki" wrote in message
    >> Robert Jarratt wrote:
    >>> I have a TK50 tape in a TZ87 drive that will not unload. The tape is not
    >>> jammed in the sense that the tape has got mangled in the drive. I am not
    >>> sure of the best way to get the tape out, I think the key is possibly
    >>> how to release the mechanism that locks the release handle. Can anyone
    >>> tell me how to do this?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Rob

    >> You have to take out the drive from its enclosure (tabletop or inside
    >> server or whatever) first. So that you have just the drive in your hand.
    >> Then you need a mid-sized phillips screwdriver with which you need to
    >> rewind the tape (you'll see when the fixed reel moves) through the hole
    >> in the bottom of the drive underneath the tape cassette. When you can
    >> feel that the tape is fully rewinded inside the cassette, carefully push
    >> backwards the solenoid on the right side of the drive (when the handle is
    >> towards yourself) and then lift the handle. Do NOT use force!! Everything
    >> moves easily without forcing when all moving parts are correctly
    >> positioned.
    >> Then you should be able to remove the cassette.
    >> Look at the fixed reel and the tape when rewinding to see that it moves
    >> normally without sticking. When you get to the end of the tape, you'll
    >> notice the take-up leader when it follows the end of the tape towards the
    >> cassette.
    >> Be careful with every move you do not to damage any delicate parts.
    >>
    >> Good luck!
    >>

    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Kari
    >>

    > Many thanks for the tips. Having tried this though I have discovered that
    > the tape actually *was* jammed but in an odd way. It seemed to be stuck on
    > the actual head as it would not run through that part of the tape path
    > when I tried gently pulling from both sides. After a bit of gentle pulling
    > I was able to free it and then unload the tape using your procedure. Just
    > wondering if anyone has ever come across this sort of problem and can
    > explain it? Note that there was no mangled tape in that area, it had not
    > folded up on itself or anything like that.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Rob

    I checked out the inside of the cartridge because it makes an unpleasant
    noise when my other drive tries to load it. I found that the tape is not
    spooled evenly, the first section of tape is raised with respect to the rest
    of the tape in the cartridge. I need to respool the first few metres to make
    it even. I want to avoid damaging the tape while I do this, does anyone have
    any neat tricks to make this easier and safer?

    Thanks

    Rob

  5. Re: Removing a "jammed" tape from a TZ87

    On 2 Jun, 00:41, "Robert Jarratt" wrote:
    > "Robert Jarratt" wrote in message

    > > "Kari Uusimäki" wrote in message

    > >> You have to take out the drive from its enclosure (tabletop or inside
    > >> server or whatever) first. So that you have just the drive in your hand..
    > >> Then you need a mid-sized phillips screwdriver with which you need to
    > >> rewind the tape (you'll see when the fixed reel moves) through the hole
    > >> in the bottom of the drive underneath the tape cassette. When you can
    > >> feel that the tape is fully rewinded inside the cassette, carefully push
    > >> backwards the solenoid on the right side of the drive (when the handle is
    > >> towards yourself) and then lift the handle. Do NOT use force!! Everything
    > >> moves easily without forcing when all moving parts are correctly
    > >> positioned.
    > >> Then you should be able to remove the cassette.
    > >> Look at the fixed reel and the tape when rewinding to see that it moves
    > >> normally without sticking. When you get to the end of the tape, you'll
    > >> notice the take-up leader when it follows the end of the tape towards the
    > >> cassette.
    > >> Be careful with every move you do not to damage any delicate parts.

    > >> Good luck!

    > >> Regards,

    > >> Kari

    > > Many thanks for the tips. Having tried this though I have discovered that
    > > the tape actually *was* jammed but in an odd way. It seemed to be stuck on
    > > the actual head as it would not run through that part of the tape path
    > > when I tried gently pulling from both sides. After a bit of gentle pulling
    > > I was able to free it and then unload the tape using your procedure. Just
    > > wondering if anyone has ever come across this sort of problem and can
    > > explain it? Note that there was no mangled tape in that area, it had not
    > > folded up on itself or anything like that.

    > > Regards

    > > Rob

    > I checked out the inside of the cartridge because it makes an unpleasant
    > noise when my other drive tries to load it. I found that the tape is not
    > spooled evenly, the first section of tape is raised with respect to the rest
    > of the tape in the cartridge. I need to respool the first few metres to make
    > it even. I want to avoid damaging the tape while I do this, does anyone have
    > any neat tricks to make this easier and safer?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Rob

    In the days when I used TK50s regularly, it was common to find the
    whole tape displaced giving loading problems. New cartridges often
    came that way. The tape should, I think, lie fairly close to the
    toothed plastic wheel in the cartridge. The drastic-sounding solution
    was to hold the cartridge in the palm of your hand with the side with
    the screws and drive wheel against your palm and whack it down onto a
    tabletop (I'd use something a bit soft like pile of papers or
    mousemat). This would get it back into the correct position.

    As to the tape sticking to the head, I don't remember having this on a
    TKxx, but on reel-to-reel drives it used to happen with old tape at
    the end of its life when the magnetic coating was coming off. I would
    junk the cartridge, and be sure to clean the drive head before using
    it again. DEC used to sell cleaning kits containing hairy spatulas for
    this purpose.

    Chris

  6. Re: Removing a "jammed" tape from a TZ87

    > As to the tape sticking to the head, I don't remember having this on a
    > TKxx

    I do a lot of TK50 conversions. I encounter "sticky" tapes quite
    frequently. I've drilled a hole in the bottom of my table-top TZ87's
    (I have 6 of them) so I can rewind the tape back into the cartridge.

    About half survive that process and can be read a little farther the
    next time.

    > DEC used to sell cleaning kits containing hairy spatulas for
    > this purpose.

    Those were for the small form-factor TK50 drives. It also came with a
    blue plastic insert to keep the drive door open.

  7. Re: Removing a "jammed" tape from a TZ87

    In article <8ee3a195-988b-4ccc-bd0a-503836f6d14d@x41g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>, "Stanley F. Quayle" writes:

    > I do a lot of TK50 conversions. I encounter "sticky" tapes quite
    > frequently. I've drilled a hole in the bottom of my table-top TZ87's
    > (I have 6 of them) so I can rewind the tape back into the cartridge.

    I used to have a TK70 in a MicroVAX 3300 that stuck quite often.
    After many recoveries, I learned to remove the drive, remove the
    tape, and re-install the drive, without disconnecting anything
    electrically, while the system was running and users logged on.

  8. Re: Removing a "jammed" tape from a TZ87

    Robert Jarratt wrote:
    > "Kari Uusimäki" wrote in message
    >> Robert Jarratt wrote:
    >>> I have a TK50 tape in a TZ87 drive that will not unload. The tape is not
    >>> jammed in the sense that the tape has got mangled in the drive. I am not
    >>> sure of the best way to get the tape out, I think the key is possibly how
    >>> to release the mechanism that locks the release handle. Can anyone tell
    >>> me how to do this?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Rob

    >> You have to take out the drive from its enclosure (tabletop or inside
    >> server or whatever) first. So that you have just the drive in your hand.
    >> Then you need a mid-sized phillips screwdriver with which you need to
    >> rewind the tape (you'll see when the fixed reel moves) through the hole in
    >> the bottom of the drive underneath the tape cassette. When you can feel
    >> that the tape is fully rewinded inside the cassette, carefully push
    >> backwards the solenoid on the right side of the drive (when the handle is
    >> towards yourself) and then lift the handle. Do NOT use force!! Everything
    >> moves easily without forcing when all moving parts are correctly
    >> positioned.
    >> Then you should be able to remove the cassette.
    >> Look at the fixed reel and the tape when rewinding to see that it moves
    >> normally without sticking. When you get to the end of the tape, you'll
    >> notice the take-up leader when it follows the end of the tape towards the
    >> cassette.
    >> Be careful with every move you do not to damage any delicate parts.
    >>
    >> Good luck!
    >>

    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Kari
    >>

    > Many thanks for the tips. Having tried this though I have discovered that
    > the tape actually *was* jammed but in an odd way. It seemed to be stuck on
    > the actual head as it would not run through that part of the tape path when
    > I tried gently pulling from both sides. After a bit of gentle pulling I was
    > able to free it and then unload the tape using your procedure. Just
    > wondering if anyone has ever come across this sort of problem and can
    > explain it? Note that there was no mangled tape in that area, it had not
    > folded up on itself or anything like that.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Rob

    Is the pointed end of the take-up leader or the "eye" (which the take-up
    leader pointed end grabs) on the tape bent? That might cause sticking
    along the tape path.
    If the take-up leader is bent or has scratch marks, it should be replaced.
    If the eye on the tape is bent, then it would be better to cease using
    the tape.

    Regards,

    Kari

  9. Re: Removing a "jammed" tape from a TZ87

    >> Many thanks for the tips. Having tried this though I have discovered that
    >> the tape actually *was* jammed but in an odd way. It seemed to be stuck
    >> on the actual head as it would not run through that part of the tape path
    >> when I tried gently pulling from both sides. After a bit of gentle
    >> pulling I was able to free it and then unload the tape using your
    >> procedure. Just wondering if anyone has ever come across this sort of
    >> problem and can explain it? Note that there was no mangled tape in that
    >> area, it had not folded up on itself or anything like that.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Rob

    > Is the pointed end of the take-up leader or the "eye" (which the take-up
    > leader pointed end grabs) on the tape bent? That might cause sticking
    > along the tape path.
    > If the take-up leader is bent or has scratch marks, it should be replaced.
    > If the eye on the tape is bent, then it would be better to cease using the
    > tape.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Kari

    It is not the eye or the take-up leader, the tape was well wound on to the
    spool. I will indeed cease to use the tape once I have succeeded in reading
    it.

    The problem I have now is that my TK50 drive will load it and it does not
    stick in that drive, but the drive stops at a parity error on the tape and
    will not move past it. I am not too concerned about the backup saveset that
    is failing, but I would like to get past the damaged bit and read the
    savesets that come later.

    I posted about this on comp.os.vms and someone mentioned that many of these
    drives have this issue, and that it is in the firmware. Apparently some TF
    drives will read past a parity error. Unfortunately I don't have a DSSI
    system or a TF drive. If anyone knows of a SCSI tape drive I could use to
    read my TK50, that will read past a parity error, please let me know the
    model.

    Thanks

    Rob

+ Reply to Thread