SDRAM upgrade for XP1000 Alpha workstation - DEC

This is a discussion on SDRAM upgrade for XP1000 Alpha workstation - DEC ; Hello, I can't find suitable SDRAM modules for the XP1000, I have tried many types but only those I found in other XP1000s work. What are the characteristics of the suitable modules ? I know it's 168-pin, PC100, registered and ...

  1. SDRAM upgrade for XP1000 Alpha workstation

    Hello,

    I can't find suitable SDRAM modules for the XP1000,
    I have tried many types but only those I found in
    other XP1000s work.

    What are the characteristics of the suitable modules ?
    I know it's 168-pin, PC100, registered and ECC.
    I can't read the SPD chip of the modules, so i can't
    know more than what is written on the labels, which
    show a few different manufacturers.
    Should this be CL2, 2-2-2 ?

    Also, i have put 256MB and 128MB modules in the box,
    totaling a nice 1.5GB. Are 512MB modules possible,
    so as to reach 4GB ? I really like this machine
    and i'd like it to reach its full potential.

    Thanks for the hints,

    YG

  2. Re: SDRAM upgrade for XP1000 Alpha workstation

    whygee wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I can't find suitable SDRAM modules for the XP1000,
    > I have tried many types but only those I found in
    > other XP1000s work.
    >
    > What are the characteristics of the suitable modules ?
    > I know it's 168-pin, PC100, registered and ECC.
    > I can't read the SPD chip of the modules, so i can't
    > know more than what is written on the labels, which
    > show a few different manufacturers.
    > Should this be CL2, 2-2-2 ?
    >
    > Also, i have put 256MB and 128MB modules in the box,
    > totaling a nice 1.5GB. Are 512MB modules possible,
    > so as to reach 4GB ? I really like this machine
    > and i'd like it to reach its full potential.
    >
    > Thanks for the hints,
    >
    > YG

    It is possible to use up to 4GB as you mentioned.
    The usable memory modules are buffered JEDEC 21- C and PC100 standard
    SDRAM DIMM memory:
    128 MB ECC Memory DIMMs (4x32MB)
    256 MB ECC Memory DIMMs (4x64MB)
    512 MB ECC Memory DIMMs (4x128MB)
    1024 MB ECC Memory DIMMs (4x256MB - stacked)

    Regards,

    Kari

  3. Re: SDRAM upgrade for XP1000 Alpha workstation

    Hello,

    Kari Uusimäki wrote:
    > It is possible to use up to 4GB as you mentioned.
    > The usable memory modules are buffered JEDEC 21- C and PC100 standard
    > SDRAM DIMM memory:
    > 128 MB ECC Memory DIMMs (4x32MB)
    > 256 MB ECC Memory DIMMs (4x64MB)
    > 512 MB ECC Memory DIMMs (4x128MB)
    > 1024 MB ECC Memory DIMMs (4x256MB - stacked)

    where did you find these informations ?

    And from your informations, as there are 2 banks of 4 modules in the XP1000,
    the maximum capacity is 2x1GB. This may explain why my attempts with 512MB modules
    all failed ...

    > Regards,

    thank you,

    > Kari

    yg

  4. Re: SDRAM upgrade for XP1000 Alpha workstation

    whygee wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Kari Uusimäki wrote:
    >> It is possible to use up to 4GB as you mentioned.
    >> The usable memory modules are buffered JEDEC 21- C and PC100 standard
    >> SDRAM DIMM memory:
    >> 128 MB ECC Memory DIMMs (4x32MB)
    >> 256 MB ECC Memory DIMMs (4x64MB)
    >> 512 MB ECC Memory DIMMs (4x128MB)
    >> 1024 MB ECC Memory DIMMs (4x256MB - stacked)

    > where did you find these informations ?
    >
    > And from your informations, as there are 2 banks of 4 modules in the
    > XP1000,
    > the maximum capacity is 2x1GB. This may explain why my attempts with
    > 512MB modules
    > all failed ...
    >
    >> Regards,

    > thank you,
    >
    >> Kari

    > yg

    There are many sources where you can find the information about the
    XP1000 and its memory support. Just google around.
    One example is:
    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q...10030_div.HTML

    Another is:
    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q...C/QBQ23LPF.PDF

    The latter includes tables with supported options.

    Good luck with your XP1000! It is a nice workstation. I also have one.

    Regards,

    Kari

  5. Re: SDRAM upgrade for XP1000 Alpha workstation

    Kari Uusimäki wrote:
    > There are many sources where you can find the information about the
    > XP1000 and its memory support. Just google around.

    oh... i'm stupid...

    > One example is:
    > http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q...10030_div.HTML

    it says :
    "Two memory option banks, four DIMM slots per bank, maximum 2-GB memory"
    damnit :-(

    > Good luck with your XP1000! It is a nice workstation. I also have one.

    I agree because i have 4 just in case the "active" one fails because of HW wear.

    But now i'm also considering embedded Pentium3-based boards
    to spare a lot on heat, space and noise :-/

    thanks,
    > Regards,
    > Kari

    yg