ftp.digital.com - DEC

This is a discussion on ftp.digital.com - DEC ; Hi! The FTP at ftp.digital.com seems to be down. Does anyone know whether there's a mirror of it? I would like to get some manuals that where hosted there and unfortunately aren't available at the HP FTP. Thanks in advance, ...

  1. ftp.digital.com

    Hi!
    The FTP at ftp.digital.com seems to be down. Does anyone know whether
    there's a mirror of it? I would like to get some manuals that where
    hosted there and unfortunately aren't available at the HP FTP.
    Thanks in advance,
    piotrek

  2. Re: ftp.digital.com

    GL1zdA schrieb:
    > Hi!
    > The FTP at ftp.digital.com seems to be down. Does anyone know whether
    > there's a mirror of it? I would like to get some manuals that where
    > hosted there and unfortunately aren't available at the HP FTP.
    > Thanks in advance,
    > piotrek

    I believe that stuff, in particular the firmware, has moved to HP's
    site. Maybe the manuals you are looking for are there as well ?
    Some time ago I ran a wget against ftp.digital.com, just in case,
    but I'm not sure if it's a complete mirror (I have about 9GB).
    So if you have an idea what you are looking for,
    I might look it up.

  3. Re: ftp.digital.com

    On May 24, 4:10 pm, Michael Kraemer wrote:
    > GL1zdA schrieb:
    >
    > > Hi!
    > > The FTP at ftp.digital.com seems to be down. Does anyone know whether
    > > there's a mirror of it? I would like to get some manuals that where
    > > hosted there and unfortunately aren't available at the HP FTP.
    > > Thanks in advance,
    > > piotrek

    > I believe that stuff, in particular the firmware, has moved to HP's
    > site. Maybe the manuals you are looking for are there as well ?
    > Some time ago I ran a wget against ftp.digital.com, just in case,
    > but I'm not sure if it's a complete mirror (I have about 9GB).
    > So if you have an idea what you are looking for,
    > I might look it up.

    Thanks for replying. I am looking for Alpha stuff. It was available at
    these locations:
    ftp.digital.com/pub/Digital/info/semiconductor/ (probably only the
    literature subdirectory, but I'm not sure)
    ftp.digital.com/pub/digital/Alpha/
    ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/ (this might be a link to the above one,
    but again I'm not sure)
    Would it be possible for you to run 'tree' against this locations and
    e-mail me the result? And possibly the size of these directories?

    piotrek

  4. Re: ftp.digital.com

    GL1zdA schrieb:

    > Thanks for replying. I am looking for Alpha stuff. It was available at
    > these locations:
    > ftp.digital.com/pub/Digital/info/semiconductor/ (probably only the
    > literature subdirectory, but I'm not sure)

    yes, a lot of zip's and pdf's on alpha CPUs and MoBos.

    > ftp.digital.com/pub/digital/Alpha/
    > ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/ (this might be a link to the above one,
    > but again I'm not sure)

    probably, since I can't find them in my archive.

    > Would it be possible for you to run 'tree' against this locations and
    > e-mail me the result? And possibly the size of these directories?

    I'll send it via PM.
    The directory you asked for is about 70MB.
    If zipped, it is some 40MB, probably too large for PM :-(
    I might be able to provide it via a temporary HTTP download.

  5. Re: ftp.digital.com

    GL1zdA wrote:

    > Thanks for replying. I am looking for Alpha stuff. It was available at
    > these locations:
    > ftp.digital.com/pub/Digital/info/semiconductor/ (probably only the
    > literature subdirectory, but I'm not sure)
    > ftp.digital.com/pub/digital/Alpha/
    > ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/ (this might be a link to the above one,
    > but again I'm not sure)

    http://h18002.www1.hp.com/alphaserve...chip-docs.html
    contains some alpha docs from the digital ftp site.

  6. Re: ftp.digital.com

    On May 24, 11:42 pm, GL1zdA wrote:
    > On May 24, 4:10 pm, Michael Kraemer wrote:
    >
    > > GL1zdA schrieb:

    > > > Hi!
    > > > The FTP at ftp.digital.com seems to be down. Does anyone know whether
    > > > there's a mirror of it? I would like to get some manuals that where
    > > > hosted there and unfortunately aren't available at the HP FTP.
    > > > Thanks in advance,
    > > > piotrek

    > > I believe that stuff, in particular the firmware, has moved to HP's
    > > site. Maybe the manuals you are looking for are there as well ?
    > > Some time ago I ran a wget against ftp.digital.com, just in case,
    > > but I'm not sure if it's a complete mirror (I have about 9GB).
    > > So if you have an idea what you are looking for,
    > > I might look it up.

    > Thanks for replying. I am looking for Alpha stuff. It was available at
    > these locations:
    > ftp.digital.com/pub/Digital/info/semiconductor/ (probably only the
    > literature subdirectory, but I'm not sure)
    > ftp.digital.com/pub/digital/Alpha/
    > ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/ (this might be a link to the above one,
    > but again I'm not sure)
    > Would it be possible for you to run 'tree' against this locations and
    > e-mail me the result? And possibly the size of these directories?
    >
    > piotrek

    Still looking? If so, you may want to try the Wayback machine, or be
    specific about which docs you need.

    The wayback machine can be slow to the point of unresponsiveness, and
    some DEC stuff from the website (not the ftp site) is explicitly
    excluded, but the Digital Semi stuff was in there last time I checked.

    Wayback machine sample url:
    http://web.archive.org/web/200703170...or/literature/

    There are various bits of Digital Semi (and related Alpha chip)
    literature squirreled away in various other places too, e.g.
    http://farrer.net/~rbf/files/docs/Alpha/ and
    ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc...ocs/index.html

    Good luck,
    hth
    John Wallace

  7. Re: ftp.digital.com

    johnwallace4@gmail.com schrieb:

    > Still looking? If so, you may want to try the Wayback machine, or be
    > specific about which docs you need.

    A lot (if not most) of it has made it to ftp.hp.com.
    I found Wayback not always the best choice for ftp content.

  8. Re: ftp.digital.com

    GL1zdA schrub im Jahre 24.05.2008 15:47:
    > Hi!
    > The FTP at ftp.digital.com seems to be down. Does anyone know whether
    > there's a mirror of it? I would like to get some manuals that where
    > hosted there and unfortunately aren't available at the HP FTP.

    ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/alphaserver/
    ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/openvms/
    ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/tru64unix/

  9. Re: ftp.digital.com

    On 30 Maj, 01:56, johnwalla...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On May 24, 11:42 pm,GL1zdA wrote:

    > > > I believe that stuff, in particular the firmware, has moved to HP's
    > > > site. Maybe the manuals you are looking for are there as well ?
    > > > Some time ago I ran a wget against ftp.digital.com, just in case,
    > > > but I'm not sure if it's a complete mirror (I have about 9GB).
    > > > So if you have an idea what you are looking for,
    > > > I might look it up.

    > > Thanks for replying. I am looking for Alpha stuff. It was available at
    > > these locations:
    > > ftp.digital.com/pub/Digital/info/semiconductor/ (probably only the
    > > literature subdirectory, but I'm not sure)
    > > ftp.digital.com/pub/digital/Alpha/
    > > ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/ (this might be a link to the above one,
    > > but again I'm not sure)
    > > Would it be possible for you to run 'tree' against this locations and
    > > e-mail me the result? And possibly the size of these directories?

    > > piotrek

    > Still looking? If so, you may want to try the Wayback machine, or be
    > specific about which docs you need.
    >
    > The wayback machine can be slow to the point of unresponsiveness, and
    > some DEC stuff from the website (not the ftp site) is explicitly
    > excluded, but the Digital Semi stuff was in there last time I checked.
    >
    > Wayback machine sample url:http://web.archive.org/web/200703170...gital.com/pub/...
    >
    > There are various bits of Digital Semi (and related Alpha chip)
    > literature squirreled away in various other places too, e.g.http://farrer.net/~rbf/files/docs/Al...ocs/index.html
    >
    > Good luck,
    > hth
    > John Wallace

    I haven't had enough time to investigate this matter recently. I
    haven't tried the Wayback Machine because I thought it doesn't archive
    FTPs. Although I found most of the stuff on the hp.com site, the
    Wayback Machine seems to be the only place to have a copy of pub/
    Digital/info/semiconductor/alpha - which contains floppies needed
    during Windows NT installation (WNT400-E.zip).

    Best,
    piotrek

  10. Re: ftp.digital.com

    GL1zdA schrieb:

    > I haven't had enough time to investigate this matter recently. I
    > haven't tried the Wayback Machine because I thought it doesn't archive
    > FTPs. Although I found most of the stuff on the hp.com site, the
    > Wayback Machine seems to be the only place to have a copy of pub/
    > Digital/info/semiconductor/alpha - which contains floppies needed
    > during Windows NT installation (WNT400-E.zip).

    not quite, my offline copy seems to have it too :-)

    $ find ftp.digital.com | grep WNT
    ftp.digital.com/pub/Digital/info/semiconductor/alpha/WNT400-E.zip
    ftp.digital.com/pub/Digital/info/semiconductor/alpha/WNT400-E.zip.1
    ftp.digital.com/pub/Digital/info/semiconductor/alpha/WNT400-F.zip
    ftp.digital.com/pub/Digital/info/semiconductor/alpha/WNT400-F.zip.1
    ftp.digital.com/pub/Digital/info/semiconductor/alpha/WNT400-F.zip.2

    > Best,
    > piotrek

  11. Re: ftp.digital.com

    GL1zdA wrote:
    (snip)

    > I haven't had enough time to investigate this matter recently. I
    > haven't tried the Wayback Machine because I thought it doesn't archive
    > FTPs. Although I found most of the stuff on the hp.com site, the
    > Wayback Machine seems to be the only place to have a copy of pub/
    > Digital/info/semiconductor/alpha - which contains floppies needed
    > during Windows NT installation (WNT400-E.zip).

    Traditionally images for floppies were on the CD, at least
    for other architectures. (From the days before the BIOS
    would boot CDs.)

    -- glen

+ Reply to Thread