Re: DEC 3000/400 firmware update - DEC

This is a discussion on Re: DEC 3000/400 firmware update - DEC ; In article , alexandre.laguejacques@gmail.com writes: > > I've found the equivalent of the old Digital FTP site at HP: > http://h18002.www1.hp.com/alphaserve...s/dec3000.html > The files provided by HP only cover the update via floppy, BOOTP or > MOP. Funny -- I'm ...

  1. Re: DEC 3000/400 firmware update

    In article <021784e5-ae61-4ecd-bfb8-07c40ea10306@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>, alexandre.laguejacques@gmail.com writes:

    > I've found the equivalent of the old Digital FTP site at HP:
    > http://h18002.www1.hp.com/alphaserve...s/dec3000.html
    > The files provided by HP only cover the update via floppy, BOOTP or
    > MOP. Funny -- I'm not aware of a single DEC 3000 that has a floppy
    > drive. The floppy is not an option and the BOOTP or MOP procedures
    > require a working installation of OpenVMS or Tru64.

    Odd, I've always updated my 3000 via CD. BOOTP and MOP should
    work equally well no matter what OS is serving them. Lots of
    UNIX, of course, can server BOOTP. IIRC there's a MOP server
    for Linux.

    I'll look around and see if I can find my last CD for the 3000
    series.

  2. Re: DEC 3000/400 firmware update

    On Fri, 18 Apr 2008, Bob Koehler wrote:

    > Odd, I've always updated my 3000 via CD. BOOTP and MOP should
    > work equally well no matter what OS is serving them. Lots of
    > UNIX, of course, can server BOOTP. IIRC there's a MOP server
    > for Linux.

    And I'll be happy to help (up to patching up sources to fix bugs) if
    anyone decides to use this server and it fails for whatever reason. I use
    this piece of software (running on an x86 PC) to boot my DECstations
    routinely and I have successfully tried it with a VAXstation 4000/90 as
    well.

    Maciej

  3. Re: DEC 3000/400 firmware update

    On Apr 18, 6:42 pm, "Maciej W. Rozycki" wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 Apr 2008, Bob Koehler wrote:
    > > Odd, I've always updated my 3000 via CD. BOOTP and MOP should
    > > work equally well no matter what OS is serving them. Lots of
    > > UNIX, of course, can server BOOTP. IIRC there's a MOP server
    > > for Linux.

    > And I'll be happy to help (up to patching up sources to fix bugs) if
    > anyone decides to use this server and it fails for whatever reason. I use
    > this piece of software (running on an x86 PC) to boot my DECstations
    > routinely and I have successfully tried it with a VAXstation 4000/90 as
    > well.
    >
    > Maciej

    I also have the firmware CD if you need it - I am based in the UK if
    that turns out to be easier, or can post the CD image on my website.

    I use linux MOP to boot my DecServer 90TL terminal server.

    I have OpenVMS 8.3 running on my 3000/600 with no known issues.
    I also run tru64 4.0G, and have successfully installed OpenBSD.

    Lots of fun!

    Regards, Mark.

+ Reply to Thread